Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 09:26 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Comfort food to me in the diner realm is any choice of breakfast items cooked properly any way I want and available any time I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 06:35 AM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Challah French Toast for me with powdered sugar. Yum

Or Grilled cheese, French fries and a sour pickle.

And then at checkout getting a black and white cookie (look to the cookie! ) or my hometown diner's specialty - two large chocolate chip cookies melded together with chocolate fudge in between. My parents always let me bring one home when I was a little girl.
YES to black and white cookies! I have actually on occasion found decent B&Ws at the Harris Teeter on MLK in Durham. Also at a bagel shop in Cary, the name of which escapes me, but it also has that NJ favorite, Taylor ham, egg and cheese -- but on a bagel, not a Kaiser roll.

As for diners, never forget the Happy Waitress -- a grilled cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich with fries. Being the wisenheimer that I am, I used to go in and ask what the "Surly Waiter" special was.

Alas, even the diners in NJ have been closing. Later generations simply do not want to run these businesses. I have many fond memories of coming home from concerts in NYC and heading for the Forum Diner in Paramus, NJ (R.I.P.) for the best strawberry cheesecake in the country.

Please do not construe this as a longing to be back in New Jersey. I live in Durham and love it here. There are good-to-great bagels at Brandwein's in Chapel Hill and I don't eat much pizza. The new Mookie's in Cary satisfies my pastrami cravings, Aldi has real-deal fresh half-sour pickles and NJ-style deli salads (in summer), and Brigs reasonably constitutes diner-style breakfast. The memories of NJ diners are more about nostalgia for my youth than about the food, or even the 24 hours-- at least for me. I'm never awake at 2 AM these days.

The one thing I DO miss is the heavy crumb cake from B&W Bakery in Hackensack, NJ (no relation to the aforementioned cookie; they don't have them). For those who want to try this amazing treat -- the standard against which all other crumb cakes are judged -- and don't mind paying $30 for a cake that sells on-site for 8 bucks -- can get it from Goldbelly.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post

As for diners, never forget the Happy Waitress -- a grilled cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich with fries. Being the wisenheimer that I am, I used to go in and ask what the "Surly Waiter" special was.
Larry? Larry David? Is that you?

LOL. Vintage "Curb Your Enthusiasm" line.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
YES to black and white cookies! I have actually on occasion found decent B&Ws at the Harris Teeter on MLK in Durham.
Publix has good black and white cookies.

I love a grilled cheese and fries at the diner. If not that than cheeseburger deluxe. If not that then bacon and cheese omelet with rye toast.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:33 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I’m not reading 11 pages. So is a Greek Dinner simply a Waffle House with someone named Nicco as the owner?

Old 12-27-2020, 05:41 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Publix has good black and white cookies.
Have not had good ones in the area, and the ones at Wegmans are kind of weird, not like real B&Ws, will check out Publix's at some point.

Actually went out looking for leftover Christmas cookies today and yesterday - Costco no longer has theem and Wegmans has only their blank and over-priced regular offerings,

Old 12-28-2020, 06:10 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’m not reading 11 pages. So is a Greek Dinner simply a Waffle House with someone named Nicco as the owner?
Nope. Sorry guess you are going to have to read more pages.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
YES to black and white cookies! I have actually on occasion found decent B&Ws at the Harris Teeter on MLK in Durham. Also at a bagel shop in Cary, the name of which escapes me, but it also has that NJ favorite, Taylor ham, egg and cheese -- but on a bagel, not a Kaiser roll.

Alas, even the diners in NJ have been closing. Later generations simply do not want to run these businesses. I have many fond memories of coming home from concerts in NYC and heading for the Forum Diner in Paramus, NJ (R.I.P.) for the best strawberry cheesecake in the country.

Please do not construe this as a longing to be back in New Jersey. I live in Durham and love it here. There are good-to-great bagels at Brandwein's in Chapel Hill and I don't eat much pizza. The new Mookie's in Cary satisfies my pastrami cravings, Aldi has real-deal fresh half-sour pickles and NJ-style deli salads (in summer), and Brigs reasonably constitutes diner-style breakfast. The memories of NJ diners are more about nostalgia for my youth than about the food, or even the 24 hours-- at least for me. I'm never awake at 2 AM these days.

The one thing I DO miss is the heavy crumb cake from B&W Bakery in Hackensack, NJ (no relation to the aforementioned cookie; they don't have them). For those who want to try this amazing treat -- the standard against which all other crumb cakes are judged -- and don't mind paying $30 for a cake that sells on-site for 8 bucks -- can get it from Goldbelly.
Thank you! I was thinking about these recently. When I was kid, we bought them out of a giant barrel at the Farmer's market or flea market.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Wegmans has Batampe garlic dill pickles.

THE BEST
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary