Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate it if anyone has had experience replacing a whole door frame (with sidelights and molding)) plus the actual front door. Our house is 40 years old with no front porch, and the whole shebang needs to be replaced due to damaged wood, settling and warping. We have painted and used wood putty for years but the time has come! I am not thrilled with using a big box store as I would like to know exactly who will do the work. Do I need to call an actual contractor and pay those extra costs? Also, any downside to going with steel or fiberglass for the door this time around or stick with wood? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Also, any downside to going with steel or fiberglass for the door this time around or stick with wood? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on the finish you want. Steel and fiberglass doors are strong but need to be painted with exterior paint. If you paint it yourself, it is difficult to get a smooth even coat.

OTOH, if you like a wood finished door, stick with wood (although there are good fiberglass ones with wood finishes).

FWIW, we have used the big-box stores for installation of a door a couple of times and been satisfied with their contractors. It is much easier than interviewing several contractors on your own.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-10-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
There is also a store on Glenwood that specializes in doors. I've never used them so can't vouch for them, but it may be a place worth checking out as an alternative to the big box stores.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
The other issue might be whether the 40-year-old house has a standard size door. Non-standard sizes get very expensive if you have to order them.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input. The door is 36 inches and the sidelights are 10 inches, not counting the framework, so I am hopeful this is a standard size.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We have painted and used wood putty for years but the time has come!
I am in the same boat. I have a storm door which protects the actual door, but the sidelights are exposed to the elements. I have patched and painted for several years now.

I just visited the Pella door site and found fiberglass doors that mimic wood, but I didn't see any information about the material for the sidelights. It would be nice if they now used a composite or other no-rot material. Please let us know what solution you choose.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Emitchell, yes, the sidelights issue is what is really creates the problem. Our house has settled over the years so our front door has been sanded and shaved somewhat to prevent sticking even though we do have a storm door. However, the storm door is also wood and needs replacing. We are also unfortunately in a neighborhood where they are tearing down older homes and building new ones, so the prospect of spending several thousand dollars on this is not a happy thought, but this will never last another 10-15 years. I will let you know what progress we make.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The other issue might be whether the 40-year-old house has a standard size door. Non-standard sizes get very expensive if you have to order them.
It's probably cheaper to reframe the opening vs buying a custom door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary