Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

I’m a mid-late 20’s male, lived in Memphis and Baltimore since graduating college want to get some insight on areas to rent an apartment/condo for job promotion I just accepted for position that I need to be based in Raleigh and I travel throughout all of North Carolina. My position is a home based office, so commute issues are not really a concern for me. I need to act relatively quickly on getting apartment set no later than last weekend of March or early April.

Trying to get some more insight and suggestions on what I have found/ seem first hand.

-Downtown seems like would be a good option however price points seem steep even from what I’m used to currently in Baltimore (paying $1350 currently for 1 bedroom Canton/Fells Point area there) , and from places I have contacted so far, having 2 cars creates a big issue with parking. I have a separate work and personal vehicle (not able to consolidate to one).

-I’ve seen Glenwood South area seems to be a popular, however not really seeing many options from doing searches from using standard apartment search websites, craigslist, zillow, etc… Suggestions on any properties management/real estate companies that would likely have properties in this area?

-Everything in around NC State on Hillsborough & Western seem to be primarily catered to student housing and really nothing available until Mid-May or August . Any suggestions for this area or is my timing just bad needing something so soon?

-North Hills area has a couple newer apartments that seem nice, but I’m totally unfamiliar with this area. Any benefits living here?

-Right by PNC arena there are some apartment complexes and there is one brand new one there, that is my favorite to this point. I do realize traffic is big issue here during state fair and also wolfpack football home games. I will likely have Hurricanes season tickets, and being that close to arena is a plus, but I worried there is little else around in this area.

My company wants me to live in Raleigh or Cary, so Durham, Chapel Hill are not an option, are there any other areas in Raleigh I should consider? I’ve noticed there seems to be a lot of newer apartments in NorthEast & NorthWest Raleigh but not sure if these would be too desolate/rural compared to someone used to living in a more urban/downtown type-setting environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 PM

644 posts, read 841,963 times
Check out Brier Creek area in Raleigh (it is North Raleigh and abuts RTP and the airport) . It is right off of 540 and gives you easy access to I-40. There are many restaurants and shopping things. Definitely not "rural" by any measure. In fact, South Raleigh may come across as more rural than North Raleigh. I'd also look into the Falls of Neuse area for apartments. Falls of Neuse is also right off of I-540 (Slightly further away from the Airport and RTP) and has similar amenities as Brier Creek. PM me if you need specific recommendations to apartment complexes. As for rent, you can expect to pay $800-$900 for a 1BR in the Brier Creek.

(Like you, I am a male in mid-20s. I lived in Brier Creek after checking out numerous neighborhoods, Brier Creek gave me good options for food, shopping and I really liked being close to Umstead Park. It also helped that my apartment complex is ranked the best in the City)

Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Check out Brier Creek area in Raleigh (it is North Raleigh and abuts RTP and the airport) . It is right off of 540 and gives you easy access to I-40. There are many restaurants and shopping things. Definitely not "rural" by any measure. In fact, South Raleigh may come across as more rural than North Raleigh. I'd also look into the Falls of Neuse area for apartments. Falls of Neuse is also right off of I-540 (Slightly further away from the Airport and RTP) and has similar amenities as Brier Creek. PM me if you need specific recommendations to apartment complexes. As for rent, you can expect to pay $800-$900 for a 1BR in the Brier Creek.

(Like you, I am a male in mid-20s. I lived in Brier Creek after checking out numerous neighborhoods, Brier Creek gave me good options for food, shopping and I really liked being close to Umstead Park. It also helped that my apartment complex is ranked the best in the City)

This is a very good suggestion.

Also, you might want to look in Cary at Apartments at Arboretum or Apartments at Weston Lakeside.

They're right off I-40/Harrison Ave, so they're close to the airport. Good, central location. Very close to PNC for the Hurricanes games, and still only 15-20 from downtown Raleigh if you want to go down there for the evening.

Apartments at Arboretum is located in a mixed use area, so there are restaurants and some shops there, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 29,907 times
I would go downtown Raleigh. So fun in your 20's!! Places in Founder's Row tend to rent cheaper than some of the others around the PNC tower area.

North Hills is happening, and could be fun too!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
I live in the Baltimore area for about 2.5 years.

I think you will be relieved by the lower crime in Raleigh, as I never felt safe in Baltimore proper. The people will be more polite (not nice) than Baltimore people as well. Felle's Point had some interesting history and an Irish Pub on a corner that had great Sheppard's pie if I recall.

The downside of course is that you are a 6 hour drive from a major city whereas in Baltimore it's centrally located from three of them. I think you'll find the nightlife of Raleigh to be quite underwhelming albeit at least a bit safer. So called "Glenwood South" is where the crowd in your age range would congregate but I think you will also find it rather anticlimactic considering the hype it receives.

Cary is somewhat similar to Columbia, more of an advantage for family living. Durham would be more like Brooklyn, MD or Glen Burnie. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Hmm...Your two cars could ultimately be an issue looking towards downtown as you look towards multi unit properties. I would also look at central raleigh as well, as it can provide the same location benefits as places up and down Glenwood, near downtown, etc. No one mentioned Cameron Village, but its not a bad area to look either. So, why couldn't you sell or store your personal vehicle? I agree with RoaminRebel that Glenwood is a little bit anticlimactic; there are fun bars, that are filled with people our age, but most of them are nothing special, although you will certainly find places you enjoy.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post

I live in Brier Creek so I'm glad you like it, but surprised. BC seems a little sleepy to me. It is close to most of the major highways, and we do have the shopping close by. As far as social life goes, I end up going to Durham or sometimes downtown Raleigh.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM

644 posts, read 841,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I live in Brier Creek so I'm glad you like it, but surprised. BC seems a little sleepy to me. It is close to most of the major highways, and we do have the shopping close by. As far as social life goes, I end up going to Durham or sometimes downtown Raleigh.
Same here. I end up going to Downtown Raleigh or Downtown Durham during the weekends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary