Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM

698 posts, read 959,886 times

Advertisements

There are so many "neighborhoods" in Raleigh and Cary that I need help narrowing my search

Single, middle aged, work from home. I really like the more upscale apt complexes but some of them are a bit out of my price range. I'd like to stay around $800 for a studio or 1BR - small is fine.
would love to be downtown, not sure my budget allows for that.

-would like a newer complex, if possible, like the idea of energy efficient appliances
-some nice landscaping would be appreciated, not sterile and treeless
-ideally I'd like to be able to walk to whole foods, trader joes, Weaver street or the fresh market
if not walking distance a 5-10 minute drive would be nice
-I have a small dog
-walking trails on property or right near by
-a lake on property would be nice but not mandatory
-I'll be walking at night, it must be a safe area
-I wouldn't rule out a smaller, older complex as long as it's been updated, has central AC and safe area
-I'd prefer to be where there's a bit more going on versus way out in suburbia
-no undergrads please
-would also consider CH area
-I'm also open to the idea of a townhome
-maybe near RTP would be good, more professionals than students

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even just listing neighborhood suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
There are so many "neighborhoods" in Raleigh and Cary that I need help narrowing my search

Single, middle aged, work from home. I really like the more upscale apt complexes but some of them are a bit out of my price range. I'd like to stay around $800 for a studio or 1BR - small is fine.
would love to be downtown, not sure my budget allows for that.

-would like a newer complex, if possible, like the idea of energy efficient appliances
-some nice landscaping would be appreciated, not sterile and treeless
-ideally I'd like to be able to walk to whole foods, trader joes, Weaver street or the fresh market
if not walking distance a 5-10 minute drive would be nice
-I have a small dog
-walking trails on property or right near by
-a lake on property would be nice but not mandatory
-I'll be walking at night, it must be a safe area
-I wouldn't rule out a smaller, older complex as long as it's been updated, has central AC and safe area
-I'd prefer to be where there's a bit more going on versus way out in suburbia
-no undergrads please
-would also consider CH area
-I'm also open to the idea of a townhome
-maybe near RTP would be good, more professionals than students

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even just listing neighborhood suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Raleigh and Cary are so interchangeable the it's possible to cross over into one and not realize it. Cary is just a suburb of Raleigh. A large suburb...but a suburb none the less. Honestly, it sounds like you would like Cameron Village in Raleigh of walkablity is really a priority.

Where will you be working? Oh...and there is no 'lake property' in either Cary or Raleigh. There is not really housing in RTP......and if you are afraid of 'undergrads' in Raleigh or Cary...they why would you even be considering Chapel Hill?

Why are you coming down here? **edit** Sorry, I didn't see here you WFH.** Please read the sticky posts...**still a good idea**.

Last edited by ScarletG; 03-12-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
There are a couple of apartment complexes on Kildaire Farm Road in Cary that are within walking distance of Whole Foods (and Harris Teeter and Walmart), a 3 minute drive to Trader Joe, in a ridiculously safe and green (as in wooded) area, with walking trails and a small "lake." The complex closer to WF is Audubon Parc Apartments, and it looks like they may have 1BR units in your price range. The other is Crescent Arbor Apartments. It's further away from Whole Foods than the other complex, and it looks like the 1 BR apartments start at $895.

I can't speak to the condition of either complex. I haven't been inside either. I've just noticed them as I drive by.

This area isn't really in the center of all the action, but proximity to Waverly Place (with outdoor music events and Saturday farmers market) is a plus. Also Koka Booth Amphitheater is less than a 5 minute drive away (summer concerts, symphony, outdoor movies, beer and wine festivals, etc)

With your budget, you're either going to have to consider areas heavily populated by undergrads, or areas further away from downtown.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 AM

698 posts, read 959,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
With your budget, you're either going to have to consider areas heavily populated by undergrads, or areas further away from downtown.
I've come to that conclusion from my research. Some of these new complexes want $1200 - $1500 for a studio/1BR

Thanks for the suggestions. The one with the small lake sounds great, I'll check it out.

What's the neighborhood feel of Audobon Parc, looks a bit sterile on a map search, meaning not many trees/landscaping/walkable green areas?

Do you have anymore suggestions on places that might be further from downtown, maybe 15 minutes away and a 5-10 minute drive to Whole Foods or the like. I don't need/want Walmart or Target or any of the other big box stores.

ScarletG - I like the feel of the downtown in Chapel Hill (you tube videos) and have lived in a college town before, so I'm on the fence about CH.

My main focuses are safety, walkable area for me and the dog and 5-10 minutes, 15 minutes max to a Whole foods or the like, traditional supermarkets don't impress me

Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
What's the neighborhood feel of Audobon Parc, looks a bit sterile on a map search, meaning not many trees/landscaping/walkable green areas?
That part of Cary is very green, lots of trees, and lots of walkable areas. There's even a nature preserve about a half mile to a mile down Kildaire Farm Rd.

The complex is very close to a large intersection with two shopping centers, a hospital, and various medical office buildings. But on the other side of the complex, it's mainly residential. Another benefit to that location is that during the icy winters, stormy springs and hurricane season, it's unlikely that you will ever be without power for very long due to the proximity to the hospital. ;-)

Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Older complex, but has the price range, trees, walking trails and safety you desire:

Brampton Moors Apartments Cary, NC

Also, 10-15 minutes to Whole Foods & Trader Joe's. It's definitely suburbia, but it's a great location.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 AM

150 posts, read 233,438 times
I used to live in Audubon Parc, and they've changed owners/management and upgraded since then. Well, at least the exterior: new siding, new paint, new landscaping.

It has access to Lake Lochmere on the east/south end of the property with a paved one-mile ish trail all the way around the lake. People from Lochmere and the condos south of the property also have access to it. I found it quite nice, though certain times of the year, the geese nest and Cary puts up the do not disturb signs for them. Er, for the people, not the geese. The geese will disturb you if you get too close; geese can't read, duh!

When I was living there, four years ago, the interiors were still original circa 1997. Laminate countertops, vinyl and carpet, 90s fixtures. I didn't care; I wanted location and size, not interior amenities. Rents have probably changed too; I had a deal with a 3/2 at $900 a month, which even then, was below market value.

The building that face/backs up to Kildaire Farm Rd are much noisier than ones in the back. There is a wooded lot with a secret path through it that will take you behind the Whole Foods shopping center, so the east side buildings have that noise absorption and shade. The ones down by the lake had the higher rents for the view and proximity.

Totally walkable to the Whole Foods on the east side of the road, Harris Teeter and Wal-mart on the west, and additional trails as mentioned through Lochmere and a park that matches up to Hemlock Bluffs park.

I don't know what the new management is like or their prices, but I really enjoyed it when I was there. Good luck with your hunt!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
I think you might look close to Cameron Village. You're walking distance to Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, and downtown is walking distance if you like to walk. The area is established, well maintained, and to quote a former GOP candidate, "The trees are the right height." You have a beautiful park out your backdoor. Now, you will see some college students, but the area is removed and upscale enough to be relatively free of undergrad shenanigans (although you certainly will run into them at the grocery store and whatnot.) The majority around there are younger professionals.

As nice as Cary is, I think you might find it to be bland and stifling, as you seem to really want to be more in an urban center.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think you might look close to Cameron Village.
But is she likely to find something for $800 in or near Cameron Village?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
But is she likely to find something for $800 in or near Cameron Village?
I would think that it is doable. I live a short walk from there on the other side of Flescher Park and am only paying $620 for a one BR (although it lacks a few amenities OP desires.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary