Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyDad View Post
I used to work for an appliance store...local, mom and pop location. I was not in sales and frankly cannot stand the ownership of the place, so my opinion is not biased towards that sort of thing in any way.

Best Buy and HHGRegg may have decent prices, but their inventory and knowledge is lacking. The poster who said spending more money will give you more headaches is completely wrong. You need to be willing to pay for some quality, but you can still find deals for sure.

On another note - appliances today aren't built to last like they were before. Plan on ten years on average on new pieces.
I strongly disagree. The more complexity you buy, the more failures you will experience.

In fact, commercial laundry equipment is about the only ones worth buying. The rest is glitzy overgadgeted junk.

After being burned several times, I gave up and rent simple laundry appliances from Appliance Warehouse. Their stuff is simple but durable since they must fix it or replace it for you free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:29 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The more you spend on laundry equipment, the more trouble you will get,

New front loaders are unreliable. They may save water but the first circuit board that fails wipes this all out.

Look for electromechanical equipment not gadgets.

Now, it does make sense to buy extended warrantees since manufacturer warrantees are almost all down to one year.

Oh the complaints about front loaders & HE machines are endless & horrendous! Mold, mildew, clothes being ripped/torn, bearings breaking, repair cost are 80% of purchase price, low water levels in HE machines, computer error codes, etc. You are correct mfg warranties are only 1 yr so it's a wise investment to purchase a extended warranty. The only brand I've read that customers have nothing but praise for are "Speed Queen", they don't make HE machines just traditional washers & dryers, & the only brand that gives you a 3 yr warranty, made in USA & customers say they're built like tanks. Not sold in big box stores, on their website under "home laundry" they'll inform you were you can buy.

Before making any major purchase it's wise to always check out what actual consumers give testament to. Brands that we took for granted in the past that represented quality like Whirlpool now only represent junk. Reviews can be found on Amazon, consumeraffairs.com, facebook, youtube, etc. Never trust websites that give reviews since you never know if they weren't paid off by mfg's for good ratings, instead trust the actual consumer who made the purchase cause they've got nothing to lose & will tell you the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary