Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

We are a family with two small children (age 3 and 5), currently living in NW DC, and thinking of possibly moving to the Raleigh area. I've read a lot of these threads and trying to figure out what areas we'd most like. As we actually live IN DC and can walk to a few things, we'd love to find an area where we can walk to something- doesn't have to be a ton of stuff, but if we can walk to a restaurant or coffee shop or something, that would be great.
It seems like in a lot of neighborhoods you have to drive everywhere. Would love to find a place where you can walk to the local park or coffee shop and know there's a good chance you'll run into your neighbors or friends from school. Our housing budget is up to $800,000 for a 4 bedroom house.

Schools are obviously important too.
Reasons we're thinking of moving: lower cost of living and housing, not as much of a "rat race", people who just don't care what you do for a living or who you know or how much $$ you make and are genuinely nice, less pressured lifestyle, more of a community kind of feeling, and overall quality of life.

So, my main question is what neighborhoods or areas have somewhat of a city feel to them or have places you can walk to, with good schools and a community feeling where people look out for each other and are open to newcomers? I know Raleigh isn't DC and while I know we'd miss a lot of the positives of DC we are ready for change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm216 View Post
We are a family with two small children (age 3 and 5), currently living in NW DC, and thinking of possibly moving to the Raleigh area. I've read a lot of these threads and trying to figure out what areas we'd most like. As we actually live IN DC and can walk to a few things, we'd love to find an area where we can walk to something- doesn't have to be a ton of stuff, but if we can walk to a restaurant or coffee shop or something, that would be great.
It seems like in a lot of neighborhoods you have to drive everywhere. Would love to find a place where you can walk to the local park or coffee shop and know there's a good chance you'll run into your neighbors or friends from school. Our housing budget is up to $800,000 for a 4 bedroom house.

Reasons we're thinking of moving: lower cost of living and housing, not as much of a "rat race", people who just don't care what you do for a living or who you know or how much $$ you make and are genuinely nice, less pressured lifestyle, more of a community kind of feeling, and overall quality of life.

So, my main question is what neighborhoods or areas have somewhat of a city feel to them or have places you can walk to, with good schools and a community feeling where people look out for each other and are open to newcomers? I know Raleigh isn't DC and while I know we'd miss a lot of the positives of DC we are ready for change.
ITB (Inside The Beltline) Raleigh easily can provide for your wants.
Cameron Park
Hayes Barton
5 Points
Fallon Oaks
Historic Oakwood

And there is plenty of infill and teardown/rebuild construction in many convenient neighborhoods.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM

78 posts, read 108,577 times
Quote:

We love DC and in the future that just might be where we end up if the place out west doesn't pan out. Been in Raleigh way too long and though there is some stuff to do we love more of the ethnic and cultural diversity this place lacks much of. Don't get me wrong there is a little bit of that diversity here but it is not the same as a DC. For a really great time on a weekend we have to travel to DC for the vibe we like. I'd say Raleigh "may", and I say that with uncertainty, reach a similar level of that diversity in the next 20+ yrs. but that's simply my projection.

Downtown Raleigh I guess but the school system there is not that great. Definitely do not recommend Southeast Raleigh it's too ghetto. Some people like North Hills but it's costly.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 PM

100 posts, read 136,248 times
I can't really help you with certain areas as we just moved to Cary and are still becoming familiar with the area.

I CAN tell you though that we moved for pretty much the EXACT same reasons that you are looking to leave. The DMV area and attitudes grew tiresome for my family (though we were outta pg county).

I CAN tell you that the people on CD will be helpful and that the folks down here in the triangle (from what we can tell) are just happy, easy going people...even those who seem to be having a bad day are FAR more tolerable than those people from DC who have a bad day.

Hope you find what you are searching for. My family and I are more than satisfied with our decision to leave the DMV and relocate to the triangle

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:

Listen to MikeJ....for that budget...IBL.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,102 times
I have lived in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Garner. The last three have a small town atmosphere but good schools and great neighborhoods. But they are all close to each other. Raleigh has some good neighborhoods too.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Carrboro has all that plus a progressive, artistic, creative vibe if that interests you. I seriously can't go anywhere in downtown w/o seeing someone I know and I am not a social creature.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
Definitely ITB (inside the 440 beltline around Raleigh, really meaning the area just west of downtown), parts of downtown Durham (like Trinity Park, Forest Hills, Watts Hillandale area) and Chapel Hill/Carrboro would all be places that you'd feel comfortable and you can get something very nice for your budget. Downtown Cary might be nice as well - they are making it more walkable although it won't have as much of a "city" feel (of course some will say this whole area is really the land of suburbia).

In general, we'd encourage you to drive down for a weekend and take a look - they all have a different feel and then you'll want to factor in job commute.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 PM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
?...Would love to find a place where you can walk to the local park or coffee shop and know there's a good chance you'll run into your neighbors or friends from school. Our housing budget is up to $800,000 for a 4 bedroom house.

I am here two years (from NY) and although I am older with a daughter in college, I came for many of the same reasons you mention. I second that you should listen to those who know the individual Raleigh neighborhoods (i.e.Mike) because with your budget, I believe it is more than possible to be very close to some of the downtown features you want. We chose the burbs for now but I can envision living in Raleigh at some point. It's not D.C. And it's not NY...it's not any major metropolis. However, because it is NOT those places, it comes without (or with much less of) the mentality and attitudes you mention. I think it would be naive to say that there aren't some here who aspire to live that way but trust me when I tell you it is on a much smaller scale than what you are used to and it is a breathe of fresh air. That aspect, combined with less traffic, less congestion, less rudeness...I feel so blessed to be here. I never felt any negativity towards me because I am not a native. Both transplants and natives have been wonderful to me.

The people on this forum are great sources of information. Good luck as you do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary