Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I'm not saying that SAT scores determine how good a school is.
Yes. Very important point to make.

I work with someone who just moved to the area. He has 2 elementary-aged children that go to school in Chapel Hill. I swear that guy is on the phone every day with the teachers, the principals, the superintendant, other parents, etc. He does not like the way his children are being taught. Nevermind that they may be getting the best education in the area with respect to readin' writin' and 'rithmetic . . . .he feels that they are not getting a "well rounded" education. Now, this is one persons opinion, but my point is that just because a school's test scores are tops, doesn't mean that you will be happy (or your children will be happy) with the eduction that they are receiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
my point is that just because a school's test scores are tops, doesn't mean that you will be happy (or your children will be happy) with the eduction that they are receiving.
Or that the education is actually good. (just parroting the earlier point...)

Parents involvement in their kids' education is so critical. Bravo to that guy.

My parents were always on the phone with teachers, too. Telling them to give me more homework (since I was completing all work at school, and never bringing anything home...)

Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,536 times
It matters! I chose the schools I wanted my children to attend...then told my realtor to show me homes only in their zoning areas.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
I don't know anything about the Clayton or Smithfield schools but I will submit my apple for the teacher on this subject. I think its unfair to rate school(s) based on a single person opinion and also the school(s) individual test scores. Both should be used as input for a large sample size. I use the term school(s) as their are 3 distinct sets, elementary, middle, and high school. Each has its own positive and negative aspects. IMO you can't generically use the word school as a basis for comparative analysis. There are areas where the elementary/middle schools are good and the high school is not and visa versa.

To me the approach to use is to look at each level of school in the area you are interested in living in. Then look at their individual test scores, then ask parents of kids that go there or the PSTA person who loves to talk about the school they represent. From that input you should be able to come to some informative conclusion on which school(s) maybe better or worse.

As far as resale one of the Location, Location, Location is the local schools so chose wisely. Good luck in your selection!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
There is ALWAYS more to any school than the scores.

However, this is the first tool most parents use to compare when looking at areas to move to.

So, the answer is that schools ARE important to an area.

Your agent should be able to do some research into the areas you are intersted in and compare days on market to other areas.

I recently had friends of mine that wanted to move from their house in Four Oaks (close to Smithfield). The house was too far for me to agree to be the listing agent but one of the agents in my office lives near there so he agreed to help them get it sold.

Its been on the market almost 2 months with only ONE SHOWING.

Desireable areas are always easy to re sell. What makes that area desireable? Schools ARE a part of it.

Vicki

Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,165 times
I compared the children of college educated Durham parents to the children of college educated Wake parents and to the children of college educated Chapel Hill parents. If not that would have been very bad research I did word it badly, forgetting to tack on "of college educated parents" after Wake County students in that one sentence. Sorry about the confusion.

The Durham and Wake scores are very similar in that category, with the Chapel Hill scores being higher than both other groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Sounds like you really did your research. However, one question, since your statement is unclear.

Were you comparing the children college educated Durham parents with only the children of college educated Wake parents, or to all Wake County students?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Just curious, but how did you get that information? I don't ever remember filling out any forms when I enrolled my children about my own education.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,165 times
I'm pretty sure I remember being asked about education and occupation on one of the forms. I have my various education-y links saved on my laptop which my husband is currently hogging. There are a couple of different comparison charts that divide children into various categories.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
From where did you get it? The NC DPI website or something? Not that I doubt your research, I'm just interested in seeing it myself for other comaprisons.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
This was the most detail I could find in one place, but it doesn't include the college educated parent distinction. This shows that white students do better on SATs in Durham than white students in Wake, but that all other groups to worse. Also, Durham has only 70% of its students take SATs and Wake has nearly 80%.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...7satreport.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary