Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2006, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 14,669 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating my family from Northern VA (DC Suburbs) to the Raleigh area due to the high cost of living up here. I was wondering if anyone knows about the job market for GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Professionals in the RDU area and who the leading GIS employers are. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2006, 06:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times
I have some GIS background, and I did look for some jobs in that area, and I don't think there are a whole lot, other than the usual county/city planning type offices (which usually hire everyone as a temp for a year or so before making them perm). There was one company in Morrisville with which I interviewed, but they require EVERYONE to start on 2nd shift to "prove themselves" before they can "move up" to 1st shift. The State Center for Health Statistics (Raleigh) has a GIS unit, but it is very small.

Frankly, I was disappointed in what I found here (I'm native to the area, but was hoping to change careers into GIS). This was about 7 years ago, so it may have gotten better, but I don't usually see much.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,669 times
Thanks for the response. Seven years is actually a long time in terms of the GIS industry, which has seen tremendous growth in that timespan. Most work in the field, at least from my experience, is with Federal Government contract or state/city governments. I was hoping to locate some compaines with offices in Raleigh that have Fedral contracts to do GIS. Obviously, coming from the DC area, I expect there not to be nearly as many jobs in the field, but I was hoping to find enough for there to be some sense of security (ie. one company loses a contract I could catch on with another). Unfortunately, I don't see that.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,342 times
Default Did you find a job?

Hi,

We are also thinking of relocating from Florida to NC and was wondering about the GIS job market. Did you find out anything about the job situation?

Good luck,

Heather

Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,413,429 times
Due to the rapid growth in the Triangle, we have tons of Environmental and Engineering Consulting firms...I'd imagine many of them would find GIS skills useful.
Many state government agencies many also have positions from time-to-time that could use that skill such as the Dept. of Transportation or Dept. of Environment.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeco View Post
I am considering relocating my family from Northern VA (DC Suburbs) to the Raleigh area due to the high cost of living up here. I was wondering if anyone knows about the job market for GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Professionals in the RDU area and who the leading GIS employers are. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
Please call me at 919-889-2210. My name is Regina Tucci and I am a Technical Recruiter. i happen to be searching for 2 GIS developers for the Chapel Hill area presently. Send your resume to rtucci@horizontap.com, if interested.

Regina Tucci
Horizon Resources, LLC
www.horizontap.com
919-889-2210

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,781,662 times
Regina, you are responding to a nearly 3 year old thread, in case you didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary