Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 AM

162 posts, read 291,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
How do the disciplinary measures only affect minority students?
They are saying they are disproportionately applied to minority students -- which certainly seems borne out by the fact that 25% of the population comprises 60% of suspensions.

As far as kids' behavior -- my teacher friends feel like the biggest problem here is the parents -- parents who defend Johnny or Janie when they get in trouble and pressure administrators to do away with any assigned punishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Ah, the public school system...what a joy.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The rules are applied without bias, I've witnessed it first hand with my very own son (a long story, and one that occurred a few years back) who is Caucasian.
I'm not questioning what did (or did not) happen to your son, I was not htere, and have no knowledge, but from a realistic point of view, one anecdote makes not a fact.

For any statistical validity to your comment, a sample size of one would not qualify.

I think the issue of race and bias is VERY complicated. I'm sure that statistically, the rules are applied more to people of color. I'm sure that sometimes it's because there is latent racism that the person who applies it doesn't even recognize. Sometimes there may be overt racism. Sometimes people from a lower economic bracket may actually have more infractions, and I'm sure there is some reverse bias due to the fact that people are conscious of the bias.

My point is that all of these things occur, and any one of them does not exist on an island. It is a VERY complicated thing to quantify race bias.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
It might also be that the minority students are disproportionally poor, and poor people are more likely to get in trouble. It might not have anything to do with race at all.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM

100 posts, read 136,225 times
Wow,

As an African american with 3 children (1 only 1 year removed from entering into high school) who just moved to Cary....this is disconcerting to say the least.

However, as an educated male from the DC area, I'm not afraid to lawyer up if need be

Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
Wow,

As an African american with 3 children (1 only 1 year removed from entering into high school) who just moved to Cary....this is disconcerting to say the least.

However, as an educated male from the DC area, I'm not afraid to lawyer up if need be
I wonder how much is also those with the resources to "lawyer up" vs those who do not have the resources?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
They are saying they are disproportionately applied to minority students -- which certainly seems borne out by the fact that 25% of the population comprises 60% of suspensions.
And what if those 60% of suspensions were warranted? So suspension rates must be identical to the overall percentages of each race or else there is discrimination?

Just another example of our society having an issue with any sort of personal responsibility.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
And what if those 60% of suspensions were warranted? So suspension rates must be identical to the overall percentages of each race or else there is discrimination?

Just another example of our society having an issue with any sort of personal responsibility.
Agreed, BUT what if they are not? ALSO another example of our society having an issue with any sort of personal responsibility. I gave several possibilities of cause in my response above. I'm sure that they don't all apply equally, but also pretty sure there is some element of all of them in the data. Also 110% sure there are many, many more influencers.

My point here is that just because you have identified one of the causes, you can't bury your head in the sand and ignore the others. That is a common practice of both sides of partisan politics in the USA.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
The questions are deeper than merely whether discipline is being applied evenly. There are significant societal issues regarding how we handle adolescents with behavioral issues and what the linkage is between school discipline policies and the criminal justice system.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM

621 posts, read 981,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
the linkage is between school discipline policies and the criminal justice system.

Here's a similar story: WASHINGTON: Black preschoolers more likely to face suspension | National Politics | NewsObserver.com

Let us credit schools' policies with feeding the prison system. Personal responsibility, whether student or parent, and individual behavior has nothing to do with it. :|

I have spent enough time volunteering in classrooms to understand that certain students are less interested in studying and more interested in playing the fool. But I realize I won't win this argument because it is politically correct to spend more public resources on these students and mollycoddle them and their supporters than to seek to inculcate a sense of responsibility into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary