Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM

42 posts, read 166,432 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to the area, like so many others. His job requires him to travel each week, so our main requirements when looking for a new home is proximity to the airport (within 45 mins) and excellent schools. What is currently going on in the WCSS scares us. Our realtor seems to be making light of the whole situation and sending us all of the top ten lists that the school system is on. Th thought of our children being redistricted each year is not something we really want to be involved in. What other alternatives are out there? We would like to have a somewhat new home 0-5 years, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, in a master planned community, and spending no more than $625,000. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 09:58 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Have you checked orange county at all. The school system is good there as well. Chapel Hill tends to be a bit expensive, but with the budget your working with, you can find something nice. I also like the Hillsborough area. I am in wake and my daughter was redistricted one time. It did turn out well, but I do understand your feelings. The main concern of most of my clients are their children, and should be in my book. Then the home comes second. That isn't always the case, so I commend you for putting what should be first in your life. I wish you the best, in a decision that isn't easy when moving to a new area.

Have a wonderful day,
Debbie

Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyscot View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to the area, like so many others. His job requires him to travel each week, so our main requirements when looking for a new home is proximity to the airport (within 45 mins) and excellent schools. What is currently going on in the WCSS scares us. Our realtor seems to be making light of the whole situation and sending us all of the top ten lists that the school system is on. Th thought of our children being redistricted each year is not something we really want to be involved in. What other alternatives are out there? We would like to have a somewhat new home 0-5 years, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, in a master planned community, and spending no more than $625,000. Thanks.
Private School is an option. Also, if you can get your kids into a "magnet program", they are not re assigned as frequently. But if you want a "guarantee", I'd say spend less on your new home and more on the private school option. Vicki

Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
I'd look in to Chapel Hill.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:41 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Just to add a note, there is some division between chapel hill carrboro school system and the orange county school system. CHC schools has a tax (that the voters approved) that helps the school system, so the bottom line is, CHC schools have more money than orange county schools. OC wants CHS to give money to them to help their school system, which was not approved by CHS. So, there is some discrepancy financially between the school systems. Basically OC contends that their constituency is not as affluent as the CHC constituency (which is true), and that they cannot pass a special tax for their schools so CHS should share the wealth.

Long story short, it is an issue in the area, and at the high school level, chapel hill high and east chapel hill are more competitive academically than orange high school. So, there is not as much redistricting in the chapel hill area, but there are fewer home available in the chapel hill area that are new! Hence, the reason the redistricting doesn't happen as often!

In wake county areas like holly springs, apex, cary, do face redistricting more, but it all depends on where you are living in those areas. Finding older homes, more established neighborhoods, then the redistricting will happen less. North raleigh doesn't have as many issues, and is still close to the airport.

Good luck!
Leigh

Old 11-05-2006, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
You have good reason to be nervous! The Wake County School System is in the process of converting 15 schools to a Mandatory 4 Track Year Round Calendar. That means no summer for many children. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg in the way of future conversions. We have massive reassignments most years. The school system performs well on tests but is nonresponsive to the concerns of parents whose families are often adversely affected by their decisions. I am a lifelong resident of the triangle area. I suggest Chapel Hill or Orange COunty. Good Luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:46 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,509 times
I suggest Johnston County in the "River Wood" Community or "Flowers Plantation" Areas good schools from what I've heard, Maybe Chatham county, though I don't know about the schools there. Or even in Durham near Southpointe Mall area.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,220 times
Why did you decide on Wake County initially? The biggest concern with the schools was the school bond issue. I'm listening to the results and there is a high probability the school bond will pass. If this is the case, the new schools will eliminate the overcrowding and growth problems over the next few years.

While I agree that redistricting is a concern, the School Board is working hard to eliminate these issues. There has to be a reason this school system was ranked #1 in the country in 2005.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:13 PM

119 posts, read 355,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_Santrock View Post
There has to be a reason this school system was ranked #1 in the country in 2005.
I'm curious---who ranked them number #1?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyscot View Post
The reason your realtor is not making a bid deal about the redistricting is probably because they think like I do, that the redistricting is being blown out of proportion in the media.

The chances of your children being redistricted each and every year is rather slim....and with the new bonds Wake county just passed, things should settle down even more as new schools come on line.

Wake County is a large school district, you are always going to have some folks that aren't happy and raise a stink. They get the press while the many more parents that are happy you don't hear about it.

Yes, I do watch the redistricting, and even three years ago wen we moved, we bought in an area where I liked all the schools around us just in case. (LOL...then my daughter ups and wants to go to a magnet school, so she's not even at one of the schools right now that I so lovingly researched!)

However, if you are dead set againest Wake County, your other alternative is probably going to be Chapel Hill (and while they are a excellent district, they have their own unique issues, so you may want to continue your research)....though there aren't many 'planned' communities in Chapel Hill, you could find a house in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary