Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 17,995 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

First, I want to say this forum is so helpful. I posted a week or 2 ago about a possible relocation for my husband's job, and everyone was so helpful with their suggestions for rentals.

We are planning to rent for a year so that we can take our time finding the right place for us to buy, but I admit I do go on the real estate sites often, to "window shop".

My question is: are basements and attics not really common in Raleigh? I notice most of the homes I check out don't really have them. We're from the NorthEast where pretty much everyone has at least a basement and most homes have both an attic and a basement. In my home browsing, it seems like you need to buy a fancier, more-upscale, larger house if you want a basement. Am I wrong about that? Maybe I am not looking at the right homes?

My husband and I have no kids, and we really don't want to buy a huge house just because we can afford one. It's just us and 2 dogs, so we don't really need 2250+ square feet of living space. What we do have is a lot of hobbies and a lot of "stuff": homebrewing equipment, camping and hiking gear, golfing, grill, smoker, holiday decorations for indoors and outdoors, tools, etc.

Just wondering. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 PM

38 posts, read 49,027 times
We moved here couple of months ego and I am also from north east and I have similar findings as well.
I wanted a house for rental with basement but couldn't find one, but the one we are renting do have attic

Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 PM

138 posts, read 256,769 times
We've come across more walk up attics than basements, but there are both.

It seems like the majority of homes are two stories, however there are more walk up attics than basements, but there are basements. Most of the basements are walk-out basements.

As far as I'm aware the majority of homes won't have BOTH a basement AND walk up attic. It was explained to me that if a house is more than 3 stories (which would be the case if you had a basement, main floor, second floor, and walk up attic) then it would need a commercial builder which is less common and depending on the municipality could be more difficult as far as zoning.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 PM

83 posts, read 122,957 times
I have a walk-out basement. They are mostly built here only if your house is built on a sloped lot.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Basements aren't dug in as builders say they are too costly.

So, in order to have a walk out basement, you need a lot that slopes to the back.

People claim to want a basement but builders charge lots for them. When time to sell, original sellers don't get their money back.

We have many more 3rd floor walk up attics (which we lovingly call our Southern Basements)!

The things many store in their basements, like snow blowers, aren't needed here (well, not usually)!

Many of my clients that think they originally want a basement end up not wanting the sloped lot but there are basements available if you decide you must have one.

Vicki

Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofJenn View Post
We've come across more walk up attics than basements, but there are both.

It seems like the majority of homes are two stories, however there are more walk up attics than basements, but there are basements. Most of the basements are walk-out basements.

As far as I'm aware the majority of homes won't have BOTH a basement AND walk up attic. It was explained to me that if a house is more than 3 stories (which would be the case if you had a basement, main floor, second floor, and walk up attic) then it would need a commercial builder which is less common and depending on the municipality could be more difficult as far as zoning.
A house can have a walk-up attic and a basement without being built by a commercial builder. It is true that you tend to find both at the same time in larger homes at higher prices, though.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
I don't find basements or finished attics common here. Unfinished attics, that you can finish yourself, are quite available. Just make sure you buy a house with a walk-up attic. You can also buy a house with an unfinished basement, but they can be hard to come buy in our area.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuhparks View Post
Hi Everyone!

First, I want to say this forum is so helpful. I posted a week or 2 ago about a possible relocation for my husband's job, and everyone was so helpful with their suggestions for rentals.

We are planning to rent for a year so that we can take our time finding the right place for us to buy, but I admit I do go on the real estate sites often, to "window shop".

My question is: are basements and attics not really common in Raleigh? I notice most of the homes I check out don't really have them. We're from the NorthEast where pretty much everyone has at least a basement and most homes have both an attic and a basement. In my home browsing, it seems like you need to buy a fancier, more-upscale, larger house if you want a basement. Am I wrong about that? Maybe I am not looking at the right homes?

My husband and I have no kids, and we really don't want to buy a huge house just because we can afford one. It's just us and 2 dogs, so we don't really need 2250+ square feet of living space. What we do have is a lot of hobbies and a lot of "stuff": homebrewing equipment, camping and hiking gear, golfing, grill, smoker, holiday decorations for indoors and outdoors, tools, etc.

Just wondering. Thanks!
My house has a walk-out basement and a pull down stair attic space (Wake Forest). Most houses on my side of the subdivision do. They aren't as common in all parts of the area, or as common as in other places...but they do exist....you just need to look often for when they come available.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
A house can have a walk-up attic and a basement without being built by a commercial builder. It is true that you tend to find both at the same time in larger homes at higher prices, though.
yes, anyone who claimed otherwise was deluded or trying to sell you something you didn't need.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
and right now in Wake County, there are 5500 houses for sale or under contract (40% of them are under contract - yikers) .... and about 10% of them have a basement with living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary