Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times

Advertisements

I haven't been there in some time, but Fat Daddy's had a decent hamburger. There was another location on Sandy Forks Road, but they closed some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
This is sad....loved to grab a burger and play pool downstairs.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Just hard to believe. Someone needs to keep this restaurant open. Or is the property destined for a hotel, etc?
"Fat Daddy's was established by Thad Eure in the 1970s and has some of the best burgers in the state.
Fat Daddy's downstairs bar (in back) has hosted the longest-running karaoke show in NC for over 21 years. They have a number of standard billiards tables, but the atmosphere is far from that of a pool hall. Additionally, there is a digital jukebox and a video game room.
For the karaoke show: After 11:30pm the songs and video selections can get very adult-oriented."

Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Wow... j had no idea this place was still open. It's probably been over 10 years since I've been there.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
I'll be sorry to see it close!
I eat there pretty often. Their burgers are quite good, but it's the fix'ns bar that really make it special. I love loading up my burger with my choice of all their stuff. Their fries are super good and their onion rings are just evil. (And it's nice to be able to sip a cold beer along with).

Old 03-25-2014, 05:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I haven't been there in some time, but Fat Daddy's had a decent hamburger. There was another location on Sandy Forks Road, but they closed some time ago.
After the one on Sandy Forks closed, it became Border Cafe (Mexican, if you can call it that). I am not proud to say that I was the second executive Chef there. Not exactly my style of food, but I was trying to move from Boone/Blowing Rock, and I had served Alice Eure (Thad had already passed) in a European Health Spa that I was chef at, and she came into my kitchen late at night for a snack. We got to talking, and one thing led to another, she introduced me to the owner of Fat Daddy's and he offered me a job as Soux Chef, I eventually became Chef.

I worked there for three years, until it got sold to the group that owns Charley Goodnights. They took it in another direction, and it eventually closed. I stayed on with Fat Daddy's, until I had an offer to work in Richmond at a Steakhouse. Like I said, the owners of Fat Daddy's were really good to their staff. It was different times (1994), but they basically offered jobs to any manager that wanted or needed one.

I'm still in occasional contact with some of the people I worked with. A few are also facebook friends living in far away places (Honolulu, Las Vegas, etc...).

I agree, it's sad to see them close, and I hope that they are doing so to enjoy their retirement, and no other reason.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
More blasts from the past at //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ll-pros-9.html.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I really hate to see Fat Daddy's go. It's one of our regular eats. It's where we go when we want burgers. I've been eating there for many, many years. Last time we were in there, about two weeks ago, I commented to my wife that that REALLY needed to remodel the place and take out the old yellow tile. It was looking rough and dated. But the food has been consistently good for decades. I've introduced a lot of friends to Fat Daddy's. I really think with a remodel, and some updating, it could still be a viable restaurant.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 AM

108 posts, read 151,874 times
I haven't been there since moving back, but went all the time as a kid. I think we'll have to stop by, and fast. I just assumed since it survived this long, it would always be there

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM

580 posts, read 712,053 times
They have not posted on their fb page yet about closing. Someone wrote on their page that they heard that March 30 was the last day but no company response.
Actually, they have not been active on their fb page since the end of January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary