Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

We ate at Fat Daddy's back in 2006 and no one was blown away enough for us to ever go back. And that's not to say it wasn't good, it just didn't distinguish itself from the others. Coincidentally, shortly after moving here in 2007 I tried Five Guys for the first time and that's been my far-and-away favorite burger ever since. Recently we dined at Bad Daddy's in Seaboard Station (yes, I know it's sort of a chain restaurant) and have decided if we're looking for something just a tick more upscale than Five Guys that's our place (never much cared for Red Robin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
for cheap, good and fast, I'm a big fan of Cook-Out. Local (NC-based) chain, good burgers, good shakes.

For nicer, I like Tribecca and most any of the good local pubs. Tir na Nog, Hibernian and Doherty's are all great. Abby Road has respectable burgers and Train Station also does. Brewmasters is good. Many more, I'm sure.

I tried Chucks, and while it was good, I was not blown away. I'm a foodie, but they take it too far for me. I like a good solid burger, with topings like cheese, bacon, avacodo, mushrooms, and whatnot. Chutney, Aioli, Carmalized this and that are all good, but not what I like on a burger.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:29 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
for cheap, good and fast, I'm a big fan of Cook-Out. Local (NC-based) chain, good burgers, good shakes.

For nicer, I like Tribecca and most any of the good local pubs. Tir na Nog, Hibernian and Doherty's are all great. Abby Road has respectable burgers and Train Station also does. Brewmasters is good. Many more, I'm sure.

I tried Chucks, and while it was good, I was not blown away. I'm a foodie, but they take it too far for me. I like a good solid burger, with topings like cheese, bacon, avacodo, mushrooms, and whatnot. Chutney, Aioli, Carmalized this and that are all good, but not what I like on a burger
Then might I suggest the Bear in Heaven which comes with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, and "Switzamerican" cheese? They do offer that for those who just want a good solid burger.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
How anyone could think that Five Guys is in any way superior to Fat Daddy's amazes me. Five Guys actually cost more, a LOT more....their burgers are fried and greasy. Fat Daddy's also baked their own bread.

At Five Guys, a burger fries and drink is $12. The meat is undercooked and super greasy.

At Fat Daddy's the burger is cooked how you order it, and a burger fries and drink runs less than $10. Meat is fresh, bread baked fresh, and you pick your own toppings.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I never thought Fat Daddy's was AMAZING or anything, but they had a good solid burger and fresh food.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Then might I suggest the Bear in Heaven which comes with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, and "Switzamerican" cheese? They do offer that for those who just want a good solid burger.
I would happily go there if my company wanted to for the night. But given the choice, If I'm going to DT Raleigh, I'd rather go to Bu-Ku (still haven't been) Sitti, Bida Manda, or any number of other places. Even for a burger, I'd rather go to Brewmasters, Tir Na Nog or a few other places. Not trying to argue, just my preference. (For me, why go to get a burger without fancy toppings, at a place known for fancy toppings, when I can go to a place known for good solid burgers with the toppings I like.)

Again, not that I didn't like Chucks, it just didn't wow me, and there are other places that I regularly pick first. I'm sure I'll be back though, it's a popular place, and for a reason.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
How anyone could think that Five Guys is in any way superior to Fat Daddy's amazes me. Five Guys actually cost more, a LOT more....their burgers are fried and greasy. Fat Daddy's also baked their own bread.

At Five Guys, a burger fries and drink is $12. The meat is undercooked and super greasy.

At Fat Daddy's the burger is cooked how you order it, and a burger fries and drink runs less than $10. Meat is fresh, bread baked fresh, and you pick your own toppings.
I tried Five Guys once and thought it was horrible food for the price. Average burger, below average fries.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I tried Five Guys once and thought it was horrible food for the price. Average burger, below average fries.
Yep, been debated to death probably, but I think it's way overpriced for the crummy quality of the meat they use, and I've NEVER had greasier burgers than the ones I've had there.

My first time there was at the request of a couple of friends who loved the place. One of them paid, and I honestly wasn't really looking at the prices when I ordered, and when he paid, I didn't bother to look. But I was not at all impressed with the burger, thought it was borderline disgusting, too pink and grease poured out of it. enough fries to fill me up though, the fries were overkill to be honest.

Second time was with friends again, and I paid this time. Was horrified to discover that it costs $11-13 per person for a burger fries and drink. Fountain drink, not beer even! Burger just as bad as the first time I went.

Went a third time when the new one in North Hills opened, wife really wanted to try it. I argued but gave in, thinking it couldn't be nearly as terrible as the one in Cary. It costs us just over $25 for 2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 drinks. She was shocked, was sure I was exaggerating about the prices. Burger was still as undercooked and greasy as the one in Cary. Only good thing about going that night was getting to meet Bill Cowher.

That was my 3rd and final time at Five Guys. Luckily most of my friends think it's stupidly overpriced and not nearly as good as about 90% of the other places that serve burgers in the Triangle...so I'l never have to go again. I can order a 10x better burger at a number of places and get a beer for the same price, or less often.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Yep, my opinion exactly. And they don't even serve milkshakes! I miss In-N-Out burger even though they don't have the best food. I was thinking about trying Fat Daddy's but looks like I have just one or two days to do it.

What do people think about Red Robin for burgers? I have one in my neighborhood but have never been there.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Red Robin is decent, good variety of burgers, and the steak fries are good. But it's usually crowded, and easily one of the loudest restaurants I've ever eaten in. No idea why, it's just always very loud. I find it very slow for a burger and fry joint too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary