Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM

81 posts, read 158,697 times

Advertisements

Didn't the FBI rank Cary, NC as the safest city in the whole freaking country last year?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Unless you're moving to some very isolated areas of Raleigh or Durham this is about as safe a place as you'll find. You don't need a gun and you won't see any unless you want to either.

We leave our cars unlocked and often forget to lock our doors at night (well, specifically, I don't but my late-returning teenage son does) and unless the deer can figure out how to turn a doorknob don't much see a need to worry.

Like anywhere else in the world, there are occasional bouts of break-ins which are usually tied to transient workers who see opportunities within a neighborhood and exploit them. But I've lived in NYC and in exclusive neighborhoods on the North Shore of Long Island (with private police departments) and so can appreciate the full spectrum of risk; Raleigh is the safest place I've lived.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Didn't the FBI rank Cary, NC as the safest city in the whole freaking country last year?
Cary tends to be ranked about #5 or #6 among cites with populations between 100,000 and 500,000.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 AM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
I've been in Raleigh nearly 10 years and have never experienced any type of crime. I don't own a gun and have no plans to ever own one either. According to FBI crime statistics, Raleigh is the safest city in the South.

This site will let you view FBI crime statistics by state and city:
FBI crime stats for U.S. cities : Madisondotcom

Photo - Raleigh, North Carolina - The Safest Cities In The U.S. - Atlanta Business | Examiner.com

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Two of the cities that I have lived in the past rank in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the US. That being said, I feel very safe here in the Triangle. I live in Raleigh and I laugh at what people perceive crime here as. I frequent DT Durham often and I am not afraid to venture into the "shadier" parts.
The US overall is not as safe as the rest of the developed world and that is because of the disparities in income. But, I am willing to take a bet that "income" is one of the reasons you moved here

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
No, she is not obsessed with guns. She lives some place that does not have a gun culture and when you watch the news about the US many of the stories are about gun crimes. I lived abroad and when you are looking from the outside in, it does seem quite frightening how many people in the US say they "need" a gun. Also, when you have small children, it is disturbing to hear about so many children dying from guns in the country.

I agree. But when I asked the question about guns in Wake County because of the concern, a lot of members jumped on me....hmmm

Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I agree. But when I asked the question about guns in Wake County because of the concern, a lot of members jumped on me....hmmm
No, they didn't. They jumped on the issue. That's why the thread is closed now.

I realize you get occasional grief for asking so many questions, but I think it makes more sense to ask a ton of questions before voluntarily relocating to a particular area.

Having been someone who grew up around guns here in NC, I still have to say I don't think you'll find more guns here than anywhere else in the suburban US, though.

Hunting rifles, maybe, but not handguns.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Cary tends to be ranked about #5 or #6 among cites with populations between 100,000 and 500,000.
Yes. Last year though, Cary was ranked the safest city with that population. OP, the Triangle, compared to other areas similar in size and population, is very safe. Crime can happen anywhere, but comparatively speaking, you will be happy with the feeling of safety in this area. I have three kids 12, 7, 4, and I feel that this is one of the safest and best places to raise a family.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No, they didn't. They jumped on the issue. That's why the thread is closed now.

I realize you get occasional grief for asking so many questions, but I think it makes more sense to ask a ton of questions before voluntarily relocating to a particular area.

Having been someone who grew up around guns here in NC, I still have to say I don't think you'll find more guns here than anywhere else in the suburban US, though.

Hunting rifles, maybe, but not handguns.
When did you change your handle? It threw me a bit, I was thinking there was a new sheriff in town, but only one with that particular tag line.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
When did you change your handle? It threw me a bit, I was thinking there was a new sheriff in town, but only one with that particular tag line.
Last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary