Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times

Advertisements

Since Progress Energy Is No Longer In Business & Duke Energy has taking over, How Come The City of Raleigh doesn't build a skyscraper for Duke Energy in Raleigh just like Charlotte has a skyscraper for the Main Headquarters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Duke Progress needs fewer workers in Raleigh than when they were a separate company, so what would the new skyscraper be used for?

Progress had two ~20-story buildings downtown, but they moved out of one of them as part of the merger downsizing. Red Hat took over that building last year.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I thought Duke Energy was based out of Charlotte, maybe not worth the expenses?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
It is based out of Charlotte, Duke Energy merged with Progress Energy so therefore its Duke Energy Progress in Raleigh now

Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Besides, the City of Raleigh is not in the business of developing high-rise real estate, nor should they be.

CP&L had on the order of 1700 employees in downtown Raleigh. When the NC Utilities Commission approved Duke Energy's takeover of CP&L, the deal included a commitment that Duke Energy retain at least 1000 employees in Raleigh for five years. No one knows what Duke Energy will do when those five years expire, but the assumption is more headcount-cutting.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Since Progress Energy Is No Longer In Business & Duke Energy has taking over, How Come The City of Raleigh doesn't build a skyscraper for Duke Energy in Raleigh just like Charlotte has a skyscraper for the Main Headquarters

Mostly because the City of Raleigh is not in the business of building skyscrapers for anyone, that is the realm of private developers. They have bought land they felt was under utilized and sold it to developers that promised to put above a certain amount of investment or size of buildings there, but that's about it.

Progress Energy has one whole building downtown now and used to have two, but when Duke bought them, they pulled out of the second, newer building, which is now where Red Hat is.

The Tower that Duke is in in Charlotte was to be the HQ for Wachovia IIRC, but since that all went to heck in a handbasket, I imagine the ownership decided to lease to Duke Energy instead. I think there are also other tenants in the building as well so it is not just for Duke. In fact, most buildings have more than one tenant. Situations like the Duke Progress building in Raleigh and the Bank of America Tower in CLT are not the norm.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
That's the oddest comment I've ever heard. Why would a city build a building for a company?? I mean I've heard of corporate welfare, but I think if Duke energy wants to build a building in Raleigh, they can afford to do it themselves!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Why should they? The City of Charlotte didn't build the Duke Energy Center.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 AM

360 posts, read 721,336 times
Quote:
Because the city isn't in the business of building skyscrapers. I'd be less than amused if they wasted my tax dollars building something for some company who already makes more than enough money to afford a whole skyline's worth of skyscrapers with pocket change.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Did I miss the part where Duke Energy expressed a need for a "skyscraper" in Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary