Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 PM

28 posts, read 40,062 times

Advertisements

Hoping to get some insight on my move. I'm a mid twenties single black male with a background in public safety(firefighter/paramedic) and looking to move early next year, but I have a few questions.

Hows the cost of living?

How's the singles scene?

Are paramedic/firefighter jobs well paying?

Pubic transportation decent?

The weather?

Crime?

Diversity?

Quality of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeezy View Post
Hoping to get some insight on my move. I'm a mid twenties single black male with a background in public safety(firefighter/paramedic) and looking to move early next year, but I have a few questions.

Hows the cost of living?

How's the singles scene?

Are paramedic/firefighter jobs well paying?

Pubic transportation decent?

The weather?

Crime?

Diversity?

Quality of life?
More than Detroit, but cheaper than many areas in the country.

Depends where you live and what you're looking for. Downtown has lots of bars etc. but Raleigh is suburban sprawl. Most of Raleigh is geared towards couples and people with children.

Same as everywhere else.

No.

Warmer than Detroit. Weather info can be found on many websites including this one.

Even the highest crime areas of Raleigh wont compare to Detroit. What people consider high crime areas here, would be like Eastpointe, S Warren, or Harper Woods.

Lot's of diversity

Good.

Your best bet is to visit for a long weekend and drive around.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 PM

28 posts, read 40,062 times
Thanks for that. Would you consider Raleigh a progressive city?

Old 03-30-2014, 12:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Raleigh's a progressive city for the south. You're not going to mistake it for Berkeley or Cambridge but it definitely leans left. Durham and Chapel Hill seem to be even more so.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Hi there. There is a sticky on the top of this forum for people considering moving here. Also, there are statistics available on the main City-Data page about the area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Good luck to you!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
What has made you choose Raleigh, specifically, over all the places that are "not Detroit"? How much do you know about the area?

As a general rule, one shouldn't move anywhere without having a job lined up, particularly in areas such as this one where "everybody and their brother" is moving, driving up competition for every open job.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
Mikeezy - you seem to want to leave Detroit quite often but never actually manage it. You have posts saying you wanted to go to Omaha, Austin, Houston and one other I can't remember - presuming you haven't moved yet? Is Detroit really that bad?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM

42 posts, read 68,833 times
... and Cloo's Coney Island (Greek from Detroit), makes Chili Dogs just like Lafayette !

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Mikeezy - you seem to want to leave Detroit quite often but never actually manage it. You have posts saying you wanted to go to Omaha, Austin, Houston and one other I can't remember - presuming you haven't moved yet? Is Detroit really that bad?
Yes. Detroit is that bad.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Angelkitten, being from the UK you might not know that Detroit is officially bankrupt.

Here's a story The Guardian did on Detroit from a few years ago: Detroit: the last days | Film | The Guardian

And a photo essay from TIME: Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline - Photo Essays - TIME

According to Wikipedia the population of Detroit fell by 25% from 2000 to 2010.

There are folks who are trying to revitalize and make a go of it and you hear some good stories coming out of there, too, but it's certainly reasonable for someone to be looking to leave and to be looking lots of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary