U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:57 PM

460 posts, read 1,692,047 times

Advertisements

I've never had to take allergy medication, but since moving here, I've had to take allergy medication everyday.

I travel bi-monthly, and don't need to take meds when I'm out of town...only when I touch back down at home.

Anyone else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM

12 posts, read 61,793 times
both my brother and I have bad nasal/sinus problems since moving here 11 years ago.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,885,685 times
Have you ever lived in an area with a variety of hardwood trees? or as many grasses as what you find here? You could be having a problem with any number of things. An allergist could pin it down for you, and it might be that he could recommend a course of treatment easier than what you are doing. I don't seem to have the problems here that I had on the coast, but then my allergies are to dust and mold and mildew. My husband, on the other hand, is having a tough time of it, especially in the Fall, which makes me think ' grasses.' My allergist also explained to me that the more we are exposed to something, we wear out our natural immunities to it, and then wham-O! You have no defense. Could be why you are having a rough time of it, too. Sorry -- hope you get it sorted out.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM

22 posts, read 53,296 times
Default allergies

unfortunately yeah, I too have developed allergies. I haven't paid much attention to what exactly lights me up, but twice a year I'm a mess for about a week or two weeks. I've gotten used to it, and know to expect it, but yeah, it is quite an adjustment after never having problems for 25 years.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:20 PM

85 posts, read 243,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
I've never had to take allergy medication, but since moving here, I've had to take allergy medication everyday.

I travel bi-monthly, and don't need to take meds when I'm out of town...only when I touch back down at home.

Anyone else?
Gurl,

That doesn't sound right at all. Is it possible there could be a mold problem where you are living? A friend of mine had a home with a crawl space and the whole thing was just full of mold, his family was having lots of health problems. The good thing was that once they moved every one returned to normal.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 71,853 times
I never had a problem with allergies like I have since moving to North Carolina in general. In the past 4 years that I've been here I've just come to expect for my body to explode around certain times of the year while I'm here.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,094,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
I never had a problem with allergies like I have since moving to North Carolina in general. In the past 4 years that I've been here I've just come to expect for my body to explode around certain times of the year while I'm here.
That is pretty much how it is for my husband...it took him two years to find the right combo of meds for those times. (At least his eyes seldom bleed anymore.) He never had allergies before he moved here.

Our daughter, on the other hand, had very mild seasonal allergies in Ohio...she's not been bothered at all with them down here.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,233,717 times
Default Yes, I'm allergic to NC too!

Previously I lived in Portland and Eugene Oregon where allergies are very prevelant. I never had any major issues with allergies. The first 2 months I was here I develped all sorts of "head cold" symptoms. I finally made it to an allergist after 2 months and bingo I'm allergic to NC. We had our house checked for mold during the inspection and then had it checked again after my allergies started up. It's fine... no mold. My allergies were worse when rag weed was in full bloom. But I think I have some sort of dust allergy too. The dust in Oregon did not bother me. Maybe all the rain kept the dust levels down???

I'm a little worried about the pine pollen season. Hopefully, I'm not allergic to that!!! Otherwise all those pines in the back yard might have to go.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
Yes, allergy-free till NC. From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Before moving to the Triangle I believed that I did not have allergies. My first Spring here changed my mind. Some unidentified plant in the Southpoint/Woodcroft area of Durham gave me a few weeks of hell in April 2002. By the following year I had moved to Cary and I have not suffered since. My doctor said that it was not unusual for people to move to this area and discover allergies.
I am curious as to which plant caused my allergic reaction. If I had suffered the following year I would have had those skin-prick tests to identify my enemy. Fortunately my change in location solved the problem.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM

71 posts, read 296,798 times
STRONG RECOMMENDATION : Get an appointment with an allergist and they can pin point what you are allergic to after a test ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary