Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM

144 posts, read 520,560 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the Chapel Hill area of North Carolina from outside of Philadelphia. I managed to get a pond built and deliver my 5 large koi within about a month's time. Many people thought I was crazy.

This will be their first winter here and I am trying to find out about caring for them.

Up north, at the end of November, I stop feeding them, turn off the pump, set up a bubbler and wait for the water to freeze over. It usually gets hard enough to walk on. They have made it through 7 winters this way.

The company that built my pond here told me only to remove the UV light, which I did, but to keep the pump running. If I see ice on the waterfalls, I should turn off the pump until it melts, and then turn it back on.

My biggest concern is, do I continue to feed them through the winter. We had a bit of a cold snap the past 2 nights and they have been hanging down at the bottom so I haven't fed them. This weekend and next week, it is supposed to be back in the high 60's, low 70's.

Any suggestions or experiences you want to share would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I had koi in about 2 feet cement pond and I didnt use a pump in the winter due to ice could damage the pump. The Koi will hang out the bottom pretty much they will hibernate.

It is ok to let ice freesze over since it creates a insulation blanket but I would not let it freeze the from top toi bottom of the pond something you probably will not have to worry about til late January.

You can throw some flakes or pebbles and see if they will eat but I would not worry about it if they do not. They will live off the algae and minerals in the water .

Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM

144 posts, read 520,560 times
Thanks for your input.
My bigger concern is that with the weather here, they may not hibernate. They are very active and are always looking to be fed.
The pond is 3' deep so they have plenty of space to go down. Up north, they would hibernate and then resurface in the spring in really good health because their bodies don't need food. Here, they are active "pigs with fins".

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM

43 posts, read 182,732 times
A friend of my wife's has a huge Koi pond in her back yard down in Apex and has had them in the area for a number of years without any issues. The weather is unseasonable this year but she has told us the exact same things SunnyKayak said. They will stop eating when they are ready and will last the season without harm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary