Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Totally!
I had a similar path as you- went from Long Island to Thousand Oaks, CA to Cary (moved here in 1999).

We love it here and it's a great place to raise kids. I would never want to raise my kids in NY and as much as I love the Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area, I would not have wanted to raise my kids there either.

Good Luck!
Just curious. Why not??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Given the OP's job location, budget and desire to not live around a bunch of NY/NJ types, I'd suggest Garner. It's much more "Carolinian" than many other municipalities in the Triangle and it has a good amount of affordable established neighborhoods. It's pretty close to either Wake Med location and it's family oriented and more conservative than other parts of the Raleigh area.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Given the OP's job location, budget and desire to not live around a bunch of NY/NJ types, I'd suggest Garner. It's much more "Carolinian" than many other municipalities in the Triangle and it has a good amount of affordable established neighborhoods. It's pretty close to either Wake Med location and it's family oriented and more conservative than other parts of the Raleigh area.
Garner would meet the OP's requirements.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM

580 posts, read 712,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Just curious. Why not??
I truly love the TO area and it was hard to leave. We left in 2000. A few years later, we went back for my SIL's wedding. Just traveling around the area and seeing how the kids (and parents) were (especially around Westlake Village) how they looked you up and down, looked at the car you drive, etc. - it was worse than anything I grew up with on Long Island! How you have to look perfect just to leave the house. I never noticed it until I left the area. I was shocked. My DH noticed it too and he grew up in WLV.
And everywhere we went on every trip back has been the same.
On top of that, the traffic everywhere no matter the time of day, I am very happy we moved here.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 PM

118 posts, read 218,053 times
Quote:
NC/ Raleigh area native here, lived in Thousand Oaks for 8 years before moving to Hermosa. Simi Valley is slightly more blue collar than Cary. But Cary is the closest NC will get to Thousand Oaks. Having said that, the two places are still very different in almost every respect: geography, climate, culture, and amenities. Proximity to a large metropolis makes a huge difference too.
Could you elaborate on some of the ways it is different? We're closer in to "central" LA, but visiting NC soon to look in to moving there, and other than people saying "it's different" I'm curious as to some of the ways in which it's different - climate and political culture seem obvious, but the others?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 AM

140 posts, read 255,254 times
Quote:
What traditional Southern Charm and values actually are has been hotly debated on this forum before. But I would summarize it as simple politeness, not to be confused with friendship or generosity.
Ditto. (I've lived in NC for 7 months and this is my perception also)

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yes, this is quite true. Garner still runs like a sleepy "Southern" town but is within sight of downtown Raleigh. It's more blue-collar and housing is quite a bit cheaper. Also more conservative, as you might expect.

Maybe Knightdale, as well.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
Could you elaborate on some of the ways it is different? We're closer in to "central" LA, but visiting NC soon to look in to moving there, and other than people saying "it's different" I'm curious as to some of the ways in which it's different - climate and political culture seem obvious, but the others?
I have visited LA a lot (my sister lives there) and, forgive my stereotyping, but people in LA tend to be more looks-focused, everyone is beautiful (thanks to the booming surgical business, I guess) though the movie business no doubt is a magnet for beautiful people thinking they'll hit it big, and obsessede with clothing/labels, cars, etc. The Southeast is not nearly as judgmental about looks and possessions as LA tends to be, and the pace is a lot slower. My sister and bro-in-law have lived in LA for 20 years or so and when they come here, they stand out like a sore thumb as "LA", yet when they're there, they seem "homey" compared to most of the folks there. They are actually very good friends with a famous celebrity, and they think she likes being friends with them because they are "normal", compared to the fakeness that can pervade celebrity circles but also tends to be part of the vibe in SoCal altogether (forgive the stereotyping--I am not saying you are like this). But again, they stand out when they're here as Angelenos in their dress, every hair in place, "city"-type personalities.

Not to say there aren't folks like that here in general, I just don't tend to hang around them. You might find the area a little "provincial", in a nutshell--but that could be what you're looking for.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM

127 posts, read 216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisancbound View Post
Hi, Im currently living in Simi Valley, CA, moved from NJ. My family and I are hoping to relocate to NC. I would like a neighborhood that is safe, decent schools, middle class, and sorry, not too many NJ/NY transplants. We are conservative and family oriented. Not that I dislike NJ/NY, as that's where I was born, but Im not looking for a fast paced environment. We love traditional southern charm and values. Our price range would be under 300K. I have a job offer at Wake Med so I would like a 1/2 hour or less commute. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Help me understand your post....Most of us "NJ/NY transplants" came here for the same reasons - to get away from the fast paced environment, safe neighborhood, good schools, etc. so I'm not sure what you mean. Would you be ok living next to transplants from other large cities, just not those from NY or NJ? Or did you mean you prefer to live next to native North Carolinians because they will have more charm and values than folks from NY/NJ?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
I think Francois summed it up pretty well, but of course its much more complicated than that and volumes have been written about the subject. Much of it has a historical basis. I think areas with high concentrations of transplants would be much easier to adjust to and be accepted socially for an outsider.

With more specifics of course, we can provide a more specific answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary