Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

What was your price range to purchase?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 36,129 times
Around$600k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:53 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,917 times
In that case, what about a look at MacGregor Downs while you are looking at Lochmere? Older neighborhood, plenty of mature trees.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM

369 posts, read 458,896 times
I love Lochmere. My husband and I drove around the neighborhood last weekend to kill some time and I thought it was gorgeous with plenty of mature trees, bigger lots, walking trails and a lake.

If money was no object I would encourage you to look at five points/ hayes barton. Your budget won't get you a huge/updated house there, but it's certainly doable. It's much more walkable than most areas in the Triangle and close to dt Raleigh. You can walk to the park, restaurants, shops, etc. My husband and I used to live there.

I've got two boys around your kids' age and although it's slightly off topic, I wanted to give you a short list of places to visit with your kids if they need a break from house hunting...

Parks: My favorite are Pullen Park in Raleigh and Kids Together Park in Cary
Museums: Marbles Museum, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences (both in DT Raleigh) and The Museum of Life and Science in Durham.

Good luck!

ETA: My 3 year old goes to a great Montessori Preschool and I would be happy to pass along some more info if you send me a DM.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciblueyes View Post
Hi Everyone!
We are making the move soon and my husband is looking at houses tonight.

I know the neighborhoods I like (older, more mature landscaping), and the family friendly ones people talk about, but he is looking at some in the following subdivisons: Picadilly Pointe, Carramore, Lochmere, Windmere & Highland Oaks. I think he is looking at Highland Oaks tonight. Honest opinions please.

We are renting for a year (hopefully if we can find something!) before we buy, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

We have a 3yr old and a 9month old - moving from LI.

Thanks so much-
Is Highland Oaks the Pulte neighborhood (under the high tension wires) next to Weatherstone? If so, I'd recommend you look in Weatherstone instead.

Carramore -- is that the one across Louis Stephens from Carpenter Village or is the one between Preston Village and Riggsbee Farms (off Davis Dr.)? Again - I'd choose any of those three neighborhoods over Carramore (or the other neighborhood I apparently also think is Carramore).

Lochmere is pretty, but your husband will have a much longer commute from that side of Cary. I've also heard some mixed reviews of the schools over there. Have never heard of Picadilly Pointe or Windmere.

Just curious -- if you like older neighborhoods with mature landscaping, why is your husband looking at Carramore and Highland Oaks?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Is Highland Oaks the Pulte neighborhood (under the high tension wires) next to Weatherstone? If so, I'd recommend you look in Weatherstone instead.

Carramore -- is that the one across Louis Stephens from Carpenter Village or is the one between Preston Village and Riggsbee Farms (off Davis Dr.)? Again - I'd choose any of those three neighborhoods over Carramore (or the other neighborhood I apparently also think is Carramore).

Lochmere is pretty, but your husband will have a much longer commute from that side of Cary. I've also heard some mixed reviews of the schools over there. Have never heard of Picadilly Pointe or Windmere.

Just curious -- if you like older neighborhoods with mature landscaping, why is your husband looking at Carramore and Highland Oaks?
Tinka~
There were 2 rentals in those neighborhoods. I wanted to rent for 6mo-1 yr until i got a feel for things, but there is not much inventory in rentals. Since he is working there half the week i have been sending him to places.
If I was buying I would be using a MetLife realtor in the area that would (hopefully) point me in the right direction...

Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM

58 posts, read 65,304 times
Off your topic but onto mine...You mentioned your husband is transferring down and heading up an IT team. Is Met Life still hiring in this area? My husband has applied for jobs at Met Life but is not sure if they are current openings or not. How long does the hiring process at Met Life typically take? Appreciate any info you can pass on.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Those neighborhoods are fine for renting. Are you only asking about rentals? I can't see what difference it really makes if so. I agree with others - I would not put down roots in either Carramore or highland Oaks. Not even sure I would rent in highland oaks with those power lines.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Apex Mom-Yes, he is still hiring at MetLife, as are many people at MetLife. I am not sure how long it takes. I will ask him when he gets home...he is there half the week.

Twingles---I agree completely! I am not moving near power lines with my two small babies. I am asking about neighborhoods that are livable for renting, and wonderful for buying. We have up to a year to buy with our relocation benefits so if it takes a year to find the right place, then we are okay w renting, but it would be nice to rent in a nice community.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 65,304 times
Siciblueyes,

Thanks for allowing me to divert your thread. I would greatly appreciate your update when you get a chance to ask your husband. It's nice to hear that hiring is still active, sometimes you wonder if resumes are going into a black hole or if a job is still active.

Good luck in your move. Our move to NC was from FL and my husband was here for 6 months while I stayed with a child to finish the school year and sell our house. I think we bought our house too quickly, so I think you are very smart to rent and give yourself some time to scope things out.

I read this forum much more than I post to it, but I know that you will get lots of helpful info to your questions.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary