Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

We are in Chapel Hill and need a wheel chair for travel and shopping. Where would you suggest for the best selection. Also need a really good cushion.
I have RX which means medicare with pay for it but I still need some suggestions and more information about how to shop for one.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM

226 posts, read 610,378 times
You can find used ones on Craig's List in nice condition for around $100 or less. You can contact Carolina Mobility for new.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM

286 posts, read 685,618 times
Usually medicare wants you to get it from a durable medical equipment store. I'm not sure where one is in Chapel Hill but you could probably google "durable medical equipment" and find out. I rent a wheelchair right now in Raleigh for $30 a week when I travel so I can still go out and do things with my hubby. (twin pregnancy) Hope this helps!!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
Raleigh Medical Supply is a great place to look for all kinds of wheel chairs. They are located on Blue Ridge Rd. at Lake Boone Tr....under Blue Ridge Pharmacy...oh, and talk about nice folks too.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Raleigh Medical Supply is a great place to look for all kinds of wheel chairs. They are located on Blue Ridge Rd. at Lake Boone Tr....under Blue Ridge Pharmacy...oh, and talk about nice folks too.
We've bought a number of here. Great selection. Knowledgeable staff. I'll go back in a heartbeat when I need more medical equipment.

They help you figure out exactly what you need. If they don't have it, they can get it for you no time.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM

273 posts, read 912,238 times
I believe you can buy one at any of the places above. I have rented one in the past from a Family Medical Supply in Cary (about $30 per week) for a visiting relative. Also if you want insurance to pay for it, you need a prescription from your regular doctor who must be medicare approved. Then there is a list of approved "wheelchair for medicare" dispensing companies. Even if they do sell chairs, if they are not on the list you cannot get insurance to pay for it. See this site:
Wheelchairs | Medicare.gov

Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 PM

270 posts, read 379,768 times
I will have to ask my Mom tomorrow what the exact model is that they have but I highly recommend a transport chair. They are so much more lightweight and the ones with the bigger wheels in the back wheel so nicely. We did buy an extra gel cushion for my parents to add to the seat to make it extra comfy.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I will have to ask my Mom tomorrow what the exact model is that they have but I highly recommend a transport chair. They are so much more lightweight and the ones with the bigger wheels in the back wheel so nicely. We did buy an extra gel cushion for my parents to add to the seat to make it extra comfy.

If the chair is just for travel and shopping then a transport chair might be the only type of chair that would be covered by Medicare. They are lighter and cheaper. The difference is, as mentioned, they have 4 small wheels so the person using it will never be able to wheel themselves in it, they will need to be pushed. Depending on the situation this may not be an issue. If you are going through Medicare you need to go through a Durable Medical Equipment company, not craigslist. I am surprised the MD who wrote you the Rx did not give you the names of some places to call. You could call your MD and ask for some referrals or use one of the companies mentioned here. Any DME company accepting Medicare should be able to assist you in finding the right cushion too.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM

226 posts, read 610,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
If the chair is just for travel and shopping then a transport chair might be the only type of chair that would be covered by Medicare. They are lighter and cheaper. The difference is, as mentioned, they have 4 small wheels so the person using it will never be able to wheel themselves in it, they will need to be pushed. Depending on the situation this may not be an issue. If you are going through Medicare you need to go through a Durable Medical Equipment company, not craigslist. I am surprised the MD who wrote you the Rx did not give you the names of some places to call. You could call your MD and ask for some referrals or use one of the companies mentioned here. Any DME company accepting Medicare should be able to assist you in finding the right cushion too.
Yes, you are correct depending on the situation. Duration of use, special features and mitigating circumstances are all factors to consider. My Craig's List suggestion was, unless you are overly stressed financially and simply cannot afford to buy a used wheel chair for $100 or less, then go ahead and file the claim...etc. If your financial position is such that you CAN afford $100 or less AND your circumstantial situation is such that a used chair will work, why clog up Medicaid and contribute to higher health care costs for us all, when that can be simply avoided by purchasing one on Craig's List.....for $100 or less. Make sense?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Not sure where Medicaid came into this. I'm on Medicare-not Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary