Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Which is why it's always important to consult a physician.
A regular physician is not going to send an otherwise healthy patient to a cardiologist for a stress test, ultrasound, echo, etc just because they are running a marathon. You have pro athletes die from sudden cardiac events and they are the most fine-tuned athletes in the world. Unfortunately it's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
True, they can't catch everything, but there are things they can catch in bloodwork and even just by listening with a stethoscope that are otherwise asymptomatic. It's better than not getting checked out at all.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I think the key here is to just regularly monitor your health (just like the training, it should be part of your ongoing 'program'). You don't need a Dr. to clear you to race, but if you do annual physicals, and discuss your lifestyle with your Dr. they can look for signs of trouble. They won't catch them all, I agree "it's just the way it is".

As another said, with proper training for any endurance event, it should be just like another training day. It's not the day to double your longest distance or half your best time. The excitement and encouragement from all those around you will likely help bring out your best performance.

I feel so horribly for the family and friends of the two. Nobody can prepare for that kind of news.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM

527 posts, read 686,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I feel so horribly for the family and friends of the two. Nobody can prepare for that kind of news.
This is the part that disturbs me for them. I'm sure their families and friends were just thinking it was another day. My heart is broken for them.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM

328 posts, read 767,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
This is the part that disturbs me for them. I'm sure their families and friends were just thinking it was another day. My heart is broken for them.
I knew one of the men who died, and just saw him at a birthday party a little more than a week ago. I remember him talking about his upcoming birthday and future plans for the year. It really is hard to believe that I won't see him again. My heart aches for his family, especially his children.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I knew one of the men who died, and just saw him at a birthday party a little more than a week ago. I remember him talking about his upcoming birthday and future plans for the year. It really is hard to believe that I won't see him again. My heart aches for his family, especially his children.
I'm so sorry.

I read about him. Very sad.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
from WRAL::

"I think it would be a good idea to see a physician before you consider participation in strenuous endurance events," said Dr. Pavlo Netrebko, a cardiologist with WakeMed Physician Practices. "The majority of those congenital conditions could be picked up at a routine screening at fairly low cost."

Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
from WRAL::

"I think it would be a good idea to see a physician before you consider participation in strenuous endurance events,"said Dr. Pavlo Netrebko, a cardiologist with WakeMed Physician Practices. "The majority of those congenital conditions could be picked up at a routine screening at fairly low cost."
I find this hard to believe: "...could be picked up at routine screening". Unless he's talking about a different tier of heart screening for endurance athletes.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I find this hard to believe: "...could be picked up at routine screening". Unless he's talking about a different tier of heart screening for endurance athletes.
Routine screening from a cardiologist, not a GP.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I know we are just "picking nits" now, but there is still a lot to be be interpreted from that WRAL Statement.

First, and foremost, they will always err on the side of CYA when making a blanket statement.

But "consult with a physician" in my book means exactly that. Talk to your GP, have regular physicals, let them know your lifestyle, including activity level.

In my opinion, this covers what the WRAL quotes says. It does not mean that every time you do an endurance event (which is also very subjective), you need a special screening.

I've got one friend who is an endurance runner, and a Marathon is something she rolls out of bed and can do with a severe hangover. She trains for 100-mile runs (they take 30-something hours for her to complete), so the Marathon is nothing for her.

As recently as a year and a half ago, I completed a race series of three 6-hour bike races (on a singlespeed, on singletrack). I'm just a short, slow fat-guy, but that's nearly 2x the amount of time of your average competitive marathoner.

Rather long-winded, I apologize, but the point is that it's all relative, and these blanket statements are just guidelines that everyone should pay attention to, but they don't really apply to any one specific person.

Again: My focus is on the loss of a human, and the pain their friends and family must be experiencing. Any activity comes with a risk, some more than other. We have to accept the risks, but it's still never easy when they become 'real'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary