Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 14,091 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to see if anyone out there has been to or purchased in Toscana? What do you think? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
The homes are pretty poorly put together at the price point IMO.
Slab foundations at $400K and up do not impress me.
Some of the shoddiest drywall/paint/trim I have ever seen-I walked thru a finished home and could have cut my hand running it over the walls.
I have said it before and I will say it again-north of $400K in West Cary you need to be looking at resales that were built as the market was rising and then doing some very minor cosmetic updating. You will end up with a better built home than your money can buy you in 2011 new construction dollars.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 14,091 times
Toscana now offers crawl spaces, which is why we are potentially interested. Good location, 3-car garages, decent lot sizes. We're planning on touring a bunch of homes in West Cary including resales, so we'll be sure to check out the drywall/paint/trim of the new units and compare with the others. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
[quote=jklem;20040896] Good location, 3-car garages, decent lot sizes. [quote]

Agree with all of this. They may in fact have tweaked their content and build quality.

I also found the cabinetry to be very stylish but very cheap. They were not using flooring/cabinets/tile/carpet that were anywhere near as nice as the materials the better custom builders use in the homes I walked last year.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 59,343 times
I don't know what west cary is defined as but I think the other side near Beaver Creek has homes with 3-car garages in Holland Farm for under $400k. Sorry I get confused with west, north etc. A simple mind I guess

Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,016 times
Default Would you buy a Pulte Home in this price range?

This building company is a group of people who used to all work for Pulte. They have modeled this company on how they did business at Pulte, using the same subcontractors mostly.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
If you buy new construction, as in building it from the ground up, you can get a good product from any builder. You just have to display diligence throughout the process.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly Batik View Post
This building company is a group of people who used to all work for Pulte. They have modeled this company on how they did business at Pulte, using the same subcontractors mostly.
I'm not sure why the fact they used to work for Pulte is pertinent. Doesn't everyone need to start somewhere. From a business startup perspective, wouldn't you want someone who has had experience at a company in the industry performing a function, decided they can do it better on their own and decid to branch out. Take whatever good parts they brought from the old company and change the processes they thought they could perform better.

I can't speak to the quality of the homes as I haven't been in any of them, but the fact that they use some of the subs as a production builder wouldn't be a red flag to me. The key is in the level of oversight, what quality control measures are being taken, quality of materials being used, etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM

487 posts, read 890,993 times
I'd be careful of the political instability and a possible debt crisis. Nice wine, though.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM

54 posts, read 86,316 times
Does anyone know if another builder is going into Toscana? Forever Homes says they are done building there but it appears clearing is still happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary