U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 PM

17,488 posts, read 23,170,902 times

Advertisements

I know it's been discussed before, but a review of the prior threads doesn't really cover what I'm looking for.

We've never had a security system, and DH and I are at odds about exactly what and how much we need. We both don't feel the need for a monitoring company (and the monthly bill). But we do think some areas of the home need to be addressed. With cameras? With sirens? With a ding to my Smartphone? Who knows.

Which is why I'm trying to find a company that will come over and do a short evaluation, and maybe install some stuff for us without the monitoring. That basically eliminates CPI, ADT, etc. etc.

Suggestions, please? (We might even consider self install if we had a clue what equipment we really needed, although a bunch of unsightly wires isn't very appealing to either of us.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM

12,259 posts, read 22,909,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Suggestions, please? (We might even consider self install if we had a clue what equipment we really needed, although a bunch of unsightly wires isn't very appealing to either of us.)
Did your house come pre-wired with anything? Ours had one of the monitoring systems, and hubby replaced its whole control systems with an internet purchase. So we have a system that will sound an alarm in the house if an intruder breaks in rather than telephoning the company.

If you don't have a pre-wired house, you could look at glass-break alarms or motion detectors. BTW, motion detectors don't work well if you have a cat which jumps onto high places. The motion detector can be set above the height of a small dog however.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM

621 posts, read 904,930 times
You can do self install easily and without unsightly wires. Buy a console/ control panel that uses wireless detectors. Companies like GE, Visonic, etc. sell the equipment through various resellers.

Choose the control panel you want, set it up to dial out using landline/ cell, and hook it up to various wireless detectors. You can set up wireless contact detectors on windows, doors, and garage door. Other detectors include motion detectors, smoke detectors, fire detectors, sirens, glass break detectors, etc.

Here's a link to a manufacturer's site: http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wire...on/PowerMaxPro

If you want central monitoring, it would cost about $10 p.m with companies like Alarm Relay, etc. (since you will have your own equipment).

Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM

17,488 posts, read 23,170,902 times
I'll look into that link local2rtp provided - and thank you!

Still looking for other options. Our house was not pre-wired, so wireless is certainly preferable, but we're open minded (mostly because we're clueless about this stuff). We're inclined to put up some cameras especially since quite a few of the break ins in our community have been during the day.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,567,242 times
Just remember that wireless systems are easier to install but are more susceptible to triggering false alarms than hard wired systems. If you do have monitoring and the police are sent to your home too many times due to false alarm calls then you could possibly be fined and/or asked to disable the system until it is fixed.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,080,216 times
Instead of an alarm why not get a camera system that sends images to your phone? There are some apps that let you use old phones as cameras or you can use regular webcams. AtHome Camera and Tinycam Monitor are the two most popular.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Just remember that wireless systems are easier to install but are more susceptible to triggering false alarms than hard wired systems. If you do have monitoring and the police are sent to your home too many times due to false alarm calls then you could possibly be fined and/or asked to disable the system until it is fixed.
I am not inclined to believe that wireless systems are more fallible than wired systems when it comes to detection. Keep in mind that the detection mechanism would be the same in both cases. What varies is the method of communication between the detector and control panel i.e., wired vs. wireless.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 AM

13,818 posts, read 24,697,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll look into that link local2rtp provided - and thank you!

Still looking for other options. Our house was not pre-wired, so wireless is certainly preferable, but we're open minded (mostly because we're clueless about this stuff). We're inclined to put up some cameras especially since quite a few of the break ins in our community have been during the day.
In your opinion do you feel cameras will stop people from breaking in?

Personally I'd think an alarm would be a better investment. But I'm not really a thief so I'm not sure how they think.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
In your opinion do you feel cameras will stop people from breaking in?

Personally I'd think an alarm would be a better investment. But I'm not really a thief so I'm not sure how they think.
Detectors and cameras are deterrents at best. A camera can trigger an alert and activate recording of the camera feed.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM

200 posts, read 562,326 times
These sites will help you: DIY alarm forum and DIY security forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: