Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times

Advertisements

I lived in Fort Collins for a while and made the decision to move from there back to NC. It was not easy. The biggest deciding factors for us were that we had better career opportunities here and our family was here. Otherwise, we would've loved to stay in the Fort! I'm a NC native and grew up in Raleigh, so when we moved back we lived in Raleigh for about 6 years. It took a couple of years to embrace the climate (even though it was my native climate), but eventually we did. I still went mountain and roak biking and started to enjoy hiking more as I embraced the beauty of the forests, creeks, rivers, etc... I love that some of the best beaches in the country are just a few hours away and the water is warm enough to swim in from Apr-Oct. I still wasn't that happy overall, but then we moved to Durham and absolutely love it. Yes, the summers are still wickedly humid and the winters relatively gray compared to Colorado, but I've finally shed my strong urge to go back to Colorado. Even though the mountains here are smaller and a longer drive, the climate is mild enough that you don't have to worry about carrying fleece caps and down jackets on a summer backpacking trip. You can drive to countless places up and down the eastern seaboard in a day or less. The farm-to-table food scene (in Durham partcularly) is hard to beat. And since Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are all college towns, you can still find that youthful energy and scene that you know in Fort Collins that comes with CSU being there.

It would be a significant adjustment, indeed, but if it truly is a great career opportunity then you should strongly consider it. If you don't like it, Fort Collins will still be there and I'm sure would welcome you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
I gave up Mountain Biking and Road Biking whenI moved here. Too humid for MTBing. I don't like biking on roads that are 55mph as many are here.

Former Heckler and Trek 5200 OCLV owner.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM

40 posts, read 83,504 times
Don't know about mountain-biking, but if you're into road-biking, I thought the Triangle area was way too traffic congested for my taste. Cars everywhere, even on rural roads. (I live in the Midwest now and I can ride for three hours and see maybe 10 or 15 cars. It's awesome.) Have no idea if that's also a problem out in Fort Collins, but I think of there being a lot more space out there. The Triangle is becoming extremely overpopulated, though I'm sure the Front Range of the Rockies is suffering from the same problem.

Don't want to dwell on the negative, but I think NC is largely a media sensation. It's like the Pacific Northwest: a lot of people want to move here because they had a nice summer vacation once, but they don't realize that it's way different when you live here.

The beaches are not close to Raleigh (3-4 hours through depressed rural areas that make northern Ohio look like diversity itself). Plus, it's at least a 13-hour drive from Raleigh to Cincinnati.... not sure if you consider that close. Most of the East Coast beaches are pretty depressing from October to April. Also not a ton going on in the mountains during the winter. Every time I've been out West, there's always people doing something in the Rockies, regardless of season. Don't let the "sunny South" fool you, Southern Appalachia can be cold, grey, and wet for most of the winter. I've been hiking on the AT in December and haven't seen a soul.

For a good job offer, I definitely wouldn't turn NC down. But I'd prefer Fort Collins if I had the choice.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
raleigh to wilmington nc - Bing

Wilmington area has many beaches.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=raleigh...dfdf8446f2e0d4

Boone area has skiing in Winter.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Raleigh...t=en-us&scope=

Nice place for summer outing.

You might want to stay in Colorado for the less humid weather but anything else you mentioned is available in North Carolina.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=raleigh...sp=1&qs=AS&sk=

Cincinnati may be a 13 hour trip in really bad weather but in Winter they will be wanting to come see you.

Last edited by NCN; 04-08-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor336 View Post
The beaches are not close to Raleigh (3-4 hours through depressed rural areas that make northern Ohio look like diversity itself). Plus, it's at least a 13-hour drive from Raleigh to Cincinnati.... not sure if you consider that close. Most of the East Coast beaches are pretty depressing from October to April. Also not a ton going on in the mountains during the winter. Every time I've been out West, there's always people doing something in the Rockies, regardless of season. Don't let the "sunny South" fool you, Southern Appalachia can be cold, grey, and wet for most of the winter. I've been hiking on the AT in December and haven't seen a soul.

For a good job offer, I definitely wouldn't turn NC down. But I'd prefer Fort Collins if I had the choice.
How long ago did you live here, 1970?

Its 8 hours to cinci or columbus.
There's an interstate to Wrightsville (2h) and 4 lane highways to Atlantic Beach (under 3h) and Nags Head (under 4h)

Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 AM

13 posts, read 19,683 times
Great advice all around! Thank you so much for the insight and candid feedback. We have a lot to think about, but agree that moving will be an adjustment and we would have to really embrace what NC has to offer vs CO.

Both states certainly have their pros and cons and it wont be an easy decision to move across the country. Especially with summer right around the corner as I am sure we forget what humidity is really like. :-) The people sure seem great though!

Much Appreciated from FoCo!!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAlum View Post
Great advice all around! Thank you so much for the insight and candid feedback. We have a lot to think about, but agree that moving will be an adjustment and we would have to really embrace what NC has to offer vs CO.

Both states certainly have their pros and cons and it wont be an easy decision to move across the country. Especially with summer right around the corner as I am sure we forget what humidity is really like. :-) The people sure seem great though!

Much Appreciated from FoCo!!
Go to NC in July to remind yourself what humidity feels like. You won't forget for another decade I guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary