Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,549 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice and a place to vent

I'm currently living in Charlotte and looking to relocate up to Raleigh with my boyfriend. I would love to live in a walkable neighborhood and have been looking around Boylan Heights, Cameron Village, 5 Points and Mordecai. I've been compulsively trolling craigslist (seriously, it's not healthy how many times I refresh it a day), Trulia, Zillow, HotPads, etc.. for weeks and it seems that the pickin's are slim and the things that do come up disappear so quickly! Not being local has made it very difficult to see a place before it's snatched up. Also it seems like the triangle of cheap, fast and good seems to be at play here with my requirements (good-ish neighborhood, over 1000 sq ft, under $1350/mo. Choose two!) We tried driving around to see if there were any signs advertising rentals but that seemed fruitless as we don't know the area well enough and didn't have enough time. I was thinking the next step might be a realtor but I'm not sure if they would even deal with a renter. You guys seems like a friendly and helpful bunch. Any ideas for a stuck, stressed lady? Other neighborhoods to look at, other venues for listings, I'll take anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
what about just renting a generic apartment up here for a few months so that you're here and can act quickly when things in areas you are interested in pop up?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
You are right, it is hard! I can walk to Cameron Village from my house, and finding a rental in this neighborhood was cutthroat. Landlords have their pick. I ended up buying.

The rental market will pick up a bit in May and through the summer. Once students are settled for the fall, there won't be so much competition.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Sending you a DM.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You are right, it is hard! I can walk to Cameron Village from my house, and finding a rental in this neighborhood was cutthroat. Landlords have their pick. I ended up buying.

The rental market will pick up a bit in May and through the summer. Once students are settled for the fall, there won't be so much competition.
Yes, I was thinking this would be a good time because students are leaving for the summer but I guess it's not like Chapel Hill or a smaller town where they're actually leaving the town, just moving around Raleigh. Last time I was looking for rentals was 4 years ago and I think it was a much more attractive market back then, lots of options, much harder now even here in Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
what about just renting a generic apartment up here for a few months so that you're here and can act quickly when things in areas you are interested in pop up?
As for that, my boyfriend currently lives in a house in Burlington, so there's an option for me to move there for a few months if needed, although it's not ideal. Burlington is a bit small for my tastes and it would be so much better to only have to move once. But it is an option

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM

I just dealt with a craigslist scam last night. It was for a house that was on the market for $550,000 and the guy copied all the pictures over and said it was for rent for $1000/mo. The house is twice as big as what I've been looking at in the area and $300 less a month. He gave me some story about how he was away doing mission work and that his local contact that had the keys was up in Canada because her parents died in a car accident. "Just send the money and I'll send the keys." Yeah, right. Be careful folks. I do have a few legitimate leads for Friday, wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary