Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 38,900 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone- my family and I are thinking about relocating to NC Ral/Dur/Chapel Hill area from NJ. We are a family of 5 with three kids 6 and under. My husband is an accountant so we are in the process of trying to make contacts and planning to visit the area in May. My question is- can anyone suggest some great places to check out in terms of neighborhoods (preferably close to Chapel Hill as I believe his specific industry has some firms there) and also just some places to visit in terms of leisure. I LOVE NC (have been many times) but my husband isn't sold yet. He is a true New Yorker and I really want this to work. I know if he sees the best NC has to offer that he'll fall in love. So....any "must sees"??? Thanks so much in advance!!

Jax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:11 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
needs more information. what type of home do you have now, and what's its value? What will you be looking for here? what is your price range? the accountant in him will like the lower taxes and the general COL. what's his "industry", since Chapel Hill honestly has very little of anything but a University and a Hospital and then retail to serve same. What's his commute now?

etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Sorry I was pretty vague. He is a hedge fund accountant and from what we have heard, the few hedge funds that are here are in the Chapel Hill area but we could be wrong. We are in the beginning stages of "looking". His commute now is between 30-45 minutes. We are in a colonial style home now and would be happy with anything that is of newer construction. Looking to not spend more then 430k or so I'm thinking and the lower the better lol with a good/safe school system. Honestly, safety and school is the most important to me. We are coming down to visit in a month or so and wanted to know if there was anything nice to do while we are down there. I feel like the more fun we have on our visit the more inclined he will be to take the idea more seriously. We are also visiting Dallas in a week or so since there are more HF down there but I'd prefer NC without a doubt. Thanks for answering

Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimari1 View Post
We are coming down to visit in a month or so ...

Get him in and out before the middle/end of May. After that it is disgustingly hot and humid.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Ha!! I was thinking that

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Bring sun screen. ;-) Some others will come along with ideas for "must sees" for you. Don't forget some anithistamines if he has allergies there (they are murderous here for me and I didn't have many in Chicago).

Hope you have fun when you get here!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
I'm no expert on Hedge Funds, but I'd think you'd find just as many if not more of them in Raleigh than you would in CH.

Anyway... 430k for a home and a husband who wants low taxes, makes me think that moving to CH might not be the best thing, aside from the schools (which are quite good).

Just something to consider. Not saying you couldn't find a nice home in CH, but the taxes would be the highest in the Triangle area, and it would not likely be a newer home unless you want a smaller home than what you could afford in most other areas of the Triangle.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Charlotte is traditionally the financial city in NC. Have you looked into his industry there? I don't know finance so I don't know if it's all Wells-Fargo and Bank of America in Charlotte or if they have a lot of other financial industry like hedge funds.

There may well be hedge fund folks in Chapel Hill, but BoBromhal is right. The primary employer by far is the university and the hospital.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Sorry I was pretty vague. He is a hedge fund accountant and from what we have heard, the few hedge funds that are here are in the Chapel Hill area but we could be wrong. We are in the beginning stages of "looking". His commute now is between 30-45 minutes. We are in a colonial style home now and would be happy with anything that is of newer construction. Looking to not spend more then 430k or so I'm thinking and the lower the better lol with a good/safe school system. Honestly, safety and school is the most important to me. We are coming down to visit in a month or so and wanted to know if there was anything nice to do while we are down there. I feel like the more fun we have on our visit the more inclined he will be to take the idea more seriously. We are also visiting Dallas in a week or so since there are more HF down there but I'd prefer NC without a doubt. Thanks for answering
I'd think after visiting Dallas he'd find the Triangle nirvana.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
I am really surprised that Chapel Hill is the center of hedge funds in NC. UNC Chapel Hill athletes may be the ones that are investing in hedge funds. LOL. In any event Chapel Hill is not in the top 12 areas with the most hedge funds. You mentioned Dallas. They are in the top 10 areas in the world for hedge funds per this article. Good luck! Top Cities for Hedge Fund Jobs - Job Search Digest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary