Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times

Advertisements

I am going to try pot gardening. Have a large pot , need your ideas as what flower plants can i have. It is just about 1.5' H x 1.25' W , so can put 4-5 or more plants ? Upload a picture of your pretty flower pot too...(not the one you buy from store, but one you created)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM

129 posts, read 179,037 times
Would it be full sun or shaded?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
The title of this thread cracks me up. That is all.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The title of this thread cracks me up. That is all.
Made me chuckle, too.

You will want to choose plants that have the same requirements for sun and water, and you have probably heard the recommended "thriller, filler, spiller" concept for a nice container garden. Something tall and showy, plants to fill in, then plants to spill over the container. My pansies are still doing well in my containers, so I don't have a summer one ready yet. Last year I used a purple and lime green combination with some splashes of hot pink....I used a spiky non-blooming plant of some kind for the "tall", hot pink pentas, some purple salvia and purple heliotrope for a bit of fragrance, and lime green sweet potato vine which will grow like crazy and you can take cuttings and use elsewhere as well. I also like the look of Diamond Frost Euphorbia as a filler and spiller in a container. Have fun with it!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Just be aware that squirrels seem to take perverse pleasure in digging up container plants. I have three deck boxes and usually just go with inexpensive begonias & impatients. Then I spend a lot of time cutting and bending hardware cloth covering every bit of soil to try to lock the plants into the box. Some years I am more successful than others - but I swear the squirrels around my house take it as a personal challenge to defeat me! Probably because I also use squirrel proof bird feeders..

Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhlebiczki View Post
Would it be full sun or shaded?
Full sun

Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Made me chuckle, too.

You will want to choose plants that have the same requirements for sun and water, and you have probably heard the recommended "thriller, filler, spiller" concept for a nice container garden. Something tall and showy, plants to fill in, then plants to spill over the container. My pansies are still doing well in my containers, so I don't have a summer one ready yet. Last year I used a purple and lime green combination with some splashes of hot pink....I used a spiky non-blooming plant of some kind for the "tall", hot pink pentas, some purple salvia and purple heliotrope for a bit of fragrance, and lime green sweet potato vine which will grow like crazy and you can take cuttings and use elsewhere as well. I also like the look of Diamond Frost Euphorbia as a filler and spiller in a container. Have fun with it!
thank you...i should have mentioned container gardening,

Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
thank you...i should have mentioned container gardening,
with proper wording i got a good results....

Our Favorite Plants for Containers | Southern Living

where do we get plants for container gardens ? does Lowes/Home depot have them ? Or any other speciality stores around Raleigh/Cary area ?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,640 times
Yes, you could buy at Lowes or Home Depot, but I prefer shopping at garden centers/nurseries. On the Cary side of town, you could try Fairview Gardens on Holly Springs Road, Campbell Road Nursery on Tryon Road, Garden Supply on Old Apex Road, or even the Farmers' Market. Nurseries or garden centers can help you select a good mix of plants/flowers. Be sure and buy a good potting mix, too. I like the fluffier mixes; they will be more expensive but worth it in the long run because the cheaper kinds will suffocate the roots of your plants...again the garden centers could make suggestions. I like your idea of googling container gardens for suggestions...if you use Pinterest there are lots of ideas there also.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Yes, you could buy at Lowes or Home Depot, but I prefer shopping at garden centers/nurseries. On the Cary side of town, you could try Fairview Gardens on Holly Springs Road, Campbell Road Nursery on Tryon Road, Garden Supply on Old Apex Road, or even the Farmers' Market. Nurseries or garden centers can help you select a good mix of plants/flowers. Be sure and buy a good potting mix, too. I like the fluffier mixes; they will be more expensive but worth it in the long run because the cheaper kinds will suffocate the roots of your plants...again the garden centers could make suggestions. I like your idea of googling container gardens for suggestions...if you use Pinterest there are lots of ideas there also.
thanks...what is pinterest ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary