Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 PM

129 posts, read 178,993 times

Advertisements

There will be a lot of factors like housing choice and existing debt that will ultimately answer the question for you. However, $75k has the possibility of getting you much further here then in many other parts of the country.

Last edited by Hhlebiczki; 04-13-2014 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
Is an annual income of 75000 USD (take home around 57000 USD) reasonable for a family of 4 in the RTP area, especially in the Wake county school district?
Since Wake County is a countywide district and costs of housing vary widely from area to area, you'll certainly be able to support a family of 4 on that income but you might not be in the exact area that you prefer.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
The Tax Foundation released this map this week - presents an interesting and simple view of cost of living in various states.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 AM

143 posts, read 201,676 times
Use the real estate site of your choice to find houses as similar in size/quality/age/location as the one you currently live in.

This is a very quick apples to apples comparison, as housing will likely be your largest expense. It's not perfect, but in several state moves, it has been a very good indicator for us.

After living near Cleveland and Atlanta, I find real estate in the Triangle to be shockingly expensive. My house in our old Atlanta suburb would literally have been *rougly $100k more in the Triangle*. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I also find groceries to be more expensive her than Cleveland or Atlanta areas. My friends from the NE of course have the opposite experience

Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
That's a cool looking map CHTransplant (I saw it posted somewhere yesterday as well), but it's hardly reflective of the cost of living in a certain metro area, or even smaller parts of metro areas. The Triangle is slightly more expensive than the US as a whole. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something like $100 was worth $98+- here. Northern Va drags the rest of Virginia down significantly with the cost of living average, so I know certain areas of states can cause a huge fluctuation that might not be representative of the entire state. Looking at an entire state does not give a true representation of metro areas within a state with good job opportunities, safe communities, abundant cultural opportunities, etc.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 AM

715 posts, read 888,881 times
Not as inexpensive here as people think. There are taxes people are unaware of on food purchases/services and housing/rent has gone up significantly. Don't get me wrong probably cheaper here than Major Metro City's but at the same time it's not easy street on that income. RE Market here is tight with more demand than supply so prices are high.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That's a cool looking map CHTransplant (I saw it posted somewhere yesterday as well), but it's hardly reflective of the cost of living in a certain metro area, or even smaller parts of metro areas.
Agreed. A nice comparison of state-wide averages, but as always, the devil is in the details.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
While you can live here on that amount for 4 people. I would be very nervous about it. I personally don't think it's enough for 4ppl. I can't imagine buying clothes, paying for vacations, car payment(s), etc. Assuming you have kids and don't mean parents, kids are so expensive whether it's for camps, afterschool care, or athletics. If you have 2 kids in any of these, you will be on a very tight budget. If you can live on a bare bones budget, in a starter home, then it might work. This area is getting more expensive and crammed with people. If you can go somewhere cheaper that meets your needs, I would.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
OP - I just noticed you didn't use the $ symbol, which country do you live in? Perhaps some folks here can do a comparison for you based on your existing location. We have loads of foreigners here (me included).

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

How Much $100 Is Really Worth in Every State
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...lue-100-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary