U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM

65 posts, read 83,824 times

Advertisements

any recommendations which grass we should choose between above. per our builder Bermuda is free but if we choose to go with Fescue then we will have to buy irrigation system from him and he is charging about $13, 000 for the irrigation system.

also any idea what will be cost for Sod (Fescue) if we do it through 3rd party (not sure whether builder will allow it). Our total lot area is 0.75 acres. we plan to have irrigation system in the future but through 3rd party after closing. any experience please?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:04 PM
rfb

2,003 posts, read 5,481,875 times
I would not put down a fescue lawn this late in the year on a lot that size without an irrigation system. Once the heat starts you are going to run a real risk of loosing some or all of the grass. Irrigation systems aren't cheap, and with .75 acres you will need a reasonable number of zones, so that is going to be a factor.

I know some on here prefer warm-weather grasses. I'm not sure Bermuda is the most popular choice, but I'll let those who have that type of grass respond. I prefer fescue as I like my grass green year-round and run my irrigation system when I need to during the summer.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM

11,900 posts, read 13,058,687 times
I prefer fescue, too, but it's the wrong time of the year to plant it.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM

13,687 posts, read 23,913,476 times
If you are laying new sod look into Zoysia. There are several types, Emerald is like a lush carpet, I would say one of the prettiest grasses around.

Zoysia 'Emerald' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fesuce > Bermuda if you have a LOT of shade. If your lot is mostly sunny Bermuda is a much better choice down here. But I prefer Zoysia if you can take care of it, it's prone to some diseases and doesn't grow back as quickly as Bermuda which you can't keep out of flower beds. Tif 419 is the traditional Bermuda put down in sod form down here, and looks good but needs full sun. Shade tends to thin it out considerably. It's a fairly hardy grass, but the best looking Bermuda lawns will also have irrigation.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM

thanks. he is thinking it needs 12 zones for irrigation and asking for $13, 0000 for irrigation plus $4000 extra for Fescue for whole yard.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I prefer fescue, too, but it's the wrong time of the year to plant it.
can we leave yard now and do it later. I think Builder will not allow it?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM

621 posts, read 881,783 times
Don't bother about fescue now. Go with the free Bermuda for a year and, if you decide you detest a dead, depressing awful looking patch of gloomy dried up grass during winter, aim for a switch to fescue come Fall of 2015. Fescue takes a beating in summer and will need an irrigation system for 0.75ac. If you sod fescue now, it will very likely die in summer since it is not tolerant to heat and there isn't enough time for the fescue to establish itself.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Don't bother about fescue now. Go with the free Bermuda for a year and, if you decide you detest a dead, depressing awful looking patch of gloomy dried up grass during winter, aim for a switch to fescue come Fall of 2015. Fescue takes a beating in summer and will need an irrigation system for 0.75ac. If you sod fescue now, it will very likely die in summer since it is not tolerant to heat and there isn't enough time for the fescue to establish itself.
thanks. what about if go with irrigation system with Fescue now. is it feasible option?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 22,972,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkeep View Post
thanks. he is thinking it needs 12 zones for irrigation and asking for $13, 0000 for irrigation plus $4000 extra for Fescue for whole yard.
How big is your yard? Must be a couple of acres. I have 3 zones in my yard. My last house in Raleigh had 5.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM

7,690 posts, read 9,214,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Go with the free Bermuda for a year and, if you decide you detest a dead, depressing awful looking patch of gloomy dried up grass during winter
Or, you could go back with the Bermuda if you decide you detest a dead, depressing awful looking patch of gloomy dried up fescue during the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary