Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM

124 posts, read 187,498 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! Ccould you break down the differences in Carrboro and Chapel Hill as far as livability for someone with a young child? I'm going to be renting an apartment for the first year.

It looks like a Carrboro has more crime. I've actually been a little startled lately by the crime stats when comparing to other cities. For example CH/ Carrboro have a reputation for being safe, and Charleston, SC has a reputation for more crime. When I compared the two areas though, CH/Carrboro had a higher rate! Thoughts on this??

I'm really narrowing things down and am at the housing search stage in my relocation. I think it makes sense to decide between Chapel Hill and Carrboro first to narrow that down, then narrow down areas of whichever one is best.

It may be helpful to tell you more of what I'm looking for. It's super basic really, I just need a very safe area where you can rent a one bedroom for $800 or less. Proximity to certain things isn't a huge factor since the area isn't huge anyway. I really don't know enough about the area to have much of an opinion there, but i think I'll find my bearings when i get settled. I'm more for apartments which are not in complexes, but did notice on my visit there are tons of complexes. I keep seeing on threads people say to stay away from the student housing. Why is this...Crime or just the college kids partying, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Also, do people move to Carrboro or Chapel Hill just "because"? Is it silly to move there with no affiliation to UNC?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM

556 posts, read 945,901 times
Chapel Hill and Carrboro are both incredibly safe. When you look at crime statistics, are you looking at overall numbers, or specific categories? Both towns have problems with larceny/theft, but those cases almost always involve valuables left in plain view with unlocked doors. Violent crime is very, very rare, and almost always is domestic in nature, or otherwise between people who know each other. Random violent crime is rare, and when it does happen, it is a huge deal.

Having lived in the two towns for a combined 13 years, I do see differences between the two (and can tell you where the borders lie), but many people do not. Daily life flows freely across the town borders. If you are planning to move to the area, you should include both in your searches. Pick an apartment and neighborhood that you like, regardless of which town it's in. The town is mostly a technicality that determines voting districts and police jurisdiction.

There are plenty of people in both towns with no affiliation to UNC. If you like the culture and community there, it can be a fantastic place to live. It is not silly to move to the area just because. People are generally friendly and welcoming, and it's easy to find a social group through various community organizations. I would absolutely advise against moving without a job. The cost of living is high relative to the rest of NC, mostly due to housing costs. It is easy to burn through savings if you are un- or under-employed. You may not be approved for a rental if you don't have proof of employment or income.

Edited because I promise I know the difference between boarders and borders.

Last edited by mpheels; 04-14-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
Also, do people move to Carrboro or Chapel Hill just "because"? Is it silly to move there with no affiliation to UNC?
It's only silly to move there with no job or income.

Plenty live there who are not affiliated with UNC.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
I'm really narrowing things down and am at the housing search stage in my relocation. I think it makes sense to decide between Chapel Hill and Carrboro first to narrow that down, then narrow down areas of whichever one is best.
Nope. I agree with mpheels. You don't need to do this at all. It makes little difference unless you're wanting to be in a particular school zone or w/in a half mile of Weaver Street or something.

As far as avoiding the apt complexes that are student heavy it's just because they would be student heavy and unlikely to be as family-friendly. You'd be less likely to have neighbors with kids and more likely to have revolving student neighbors, some of which could do a lot of partying, most of which are more likely to be hanging with the student crowd and not with mom & kids.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
I've actually been a little startled lately by the crime stats when comparing to other cities. For example CH/ Carrboro have a reputation for being safe, and Charleston, SC has a reputation for more crime. When I compared the two areas though, CH/Carrboro had a higher rate! Thoughts on this??
Large concentrations of students tend to correlate with more reported property crimes.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I bet if you asked 100 residents at random if they know where the boundary line is at least 80 would not be able to say. it really makes no difference as far as livability. The school are in one district and they are all top notch. So you should look for job first before moving anywhere, then look for a place to live based on area, price, etc and not break it down between Chapel Hill or Carrboro.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
I agree no kudzu. I'm pretty good on the downtown city limits and on Estes Dr, but it gets a little hazy for me after that. I kinda know where on Homestead, but the western boundary is trickier. I am really good w/ maps and have a great sense of direction, but there's no way I would be able to very accurately draw the city limits of Carrboro or Chapel Hill on a map of Orange County.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 AM

CARRBORO: Carrboro considers seizing house | Public Safety | ChapelHillNews.com

What the heck is the deal with this??

Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 AM

77 posts, read 188,450 times
All the criminal activity at that house was not random - it was primarily related to drug dealing. You'll find situations like that in any town but it's not like entire neighborhoods in Chapel Hill or Carrboro are full of drug dealers and other criminals. Situations such as that are the exception, not the rule. I walk though that neighborhood now and then and I've never feared for my safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary