Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times

Advertisements

I actually thought it was a lot lighter yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
I think the pine pollen peaked over the weekend. My guess is that the majority will be gone within a week now. I hope. Saturday was so thick! I agree with the previous poster that it seem lighter yesterday already.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:00 PM

105 posts, read 155,913 times
Just hoping for more showers between this.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
And my daughter is hoping to get a puppy...

Pretty sure both of you are going to be sorely disappointed.

It's a quick rinse. There's still plenty in the pine trees.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Yeah, I think we have another week or so of the thick pine pollen. I actually noticed that in the break yesterday afternoon, I already had some pollen on my windshield when I left work about 5:45, right as it was starting raining again.

And most allergies are not to pine pollen anyway as your nose can easily filter it out. It is other tree and grass pollens that cause your runny nose and many of them are just starting when the pine goes away.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah, I think we have another week or so of the thick pine pollen. I actually noticed that in the break yesterday afternoon, I already had some pollen on my windshield when I left work about 5:45, right as it was starting raining again.

And most allergies are not to pine pollen anyway as your nose can easily filter it out. It is other tree and grass pollens that cause your runny nose and many of them are just starting when the pine goes away.
I agree with both points.

About the allergies though: The pine pollen seems to work on my throat. Almost like an abrasive or corrosive or something, and it leaves the most gawd-awful taste in my mouth. I was gone in the mountains all weekend, so I missed a lot of the pollen then, but within 12 hours of my return my throat was a little tight and my mouth tasted horrible. Happens every year to me. (Not an "allergy", but still sucks.)

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Pine pollen irritates my eyes. My nose will run a little. But the next wave of pollen, that starts shortly after the pine, is the one that really bothers my respiratory system. Someone told me what tree it comes from last year, and I already forgot. But it's a sea-foam green color, and collects on my porches like dust bunnies....for some reason, especially on my screened-in back porch.

We have so many trees it's hard to keep up with them and their droppings. The sweet gums drop a lot of "seeds" in the fall, usually within a few days of thanksgiving, you can almost mark your calendar by it. The one I call "tulip trees" drop their buds early in the summer, and they shed leaves all summer long! If I recall correctly, and that brings the herds of deer in, as they apparently LOVE those buds!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,262 times
I saw a *lot* of the pine tree 'pod' things on the ground yesterday and today after the wind & rain. So I am also quite hopeful that the yellow pine pollen duration was shortened. :-)

Dr. Barden has a Q&A on loblolly pine pollen and it is kind of a cool article talking about 'degree days' affecting the length of the pollen season, how far it goes, etc.

Ask a Scientist: Why is there so much pine pollen in the air? | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,251 times
I saw this on a friend's Facebook feed. It's for grass pollen but feels so true for all pollen!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
ck out www.pollen.com
Forecast for Raleigh, NC (27605)
Print Your Forecast

TODAY'S ALLERGY LEVEL:

Audio for the Visually Impaired

WednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
See allergy levels in another zip code:

[LEFT]Today's Predominant Pollens

Oak

Click for details

SweetGum

Click for details

Poplar

Click for details
[
Allergy Forecast Discussion
Pollen concentrations for Thursday will be at about the same level in the high range. If you do suffer from allergies, tomorrow should be about as difficult outdoors as it was today.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 04-16-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: removed junk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary