Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in Wyndfall neighborhood of Regency. Are there school aged children there. We have elementary and middle school aged kids and want their transition to be easy. What's your opinion on this area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 AM

5,825 posts, read 6,888,620 times
I've been in Cambridge (which adjoins Wyndfall and Danbury) for years. Lots of kids in these neighborhoods. You may be surprised to learn that the high school is Athens Drive, when it seems others are closer.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM

528 posts, read 932,265 times
I'm also curious about this area and what the current view is of the assigned schools. I've read through the CD posts but am interested for the latest feedback on the assigned schools (Penny Rd Elem, Dillard Drive middle and Athens Dr HS). I've heard not very good feedback on Dillard.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,367 times
I am
Not thrilled with the assigned middle and high school. I have a middle schooler and it is of some concern. Opinions on the schools are welcome! I want to know we are making the best choice for our kids. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM

12 posts, read 20,313 times
Hi. We live in Lochmere Highlands and have the same school assignments as you mentioned. While Dillard may be the traditional option, West Lake is the year-round option. We actually applied to Lufkin Road Middle School and got in - my son is a 6th grader there this year. I think we got in because we requested Track 2 wheras most people prefer tr. 1 or 4. Anyway, I would have been happy with West Lake or Lufkin. Both are excellent and I have heard nothing but good things from the other parents in our neighborhood.

Our elementary school is Oak Grove, which is one of the best in Wake County. My 3rd grade son attends there and we are thrilled with the staff and parental involvement. NOW, as for the high school assignment of Athens Drive.... we went back and forth with this for a while. We are transplants from Northern New Jersey and are used to good high schools so I know how hard this decision is for you. However, from what I can gather, the negative hype surrounding Athens is quite overblown. We have tons of wonderful kids in our neighborhood who attend Athens (some of them have babysat for us) and I have grilled them as to the "real deal" on Athens. Apparently, while there are a few rough kids there, they report that they have never felt unsafe, and that the great majority of kids there are nice and it's a "normal" high school environment.

Athens also has a fairly new S.T.E.M program which is a definite game changer. This school could well become a desired school in the next few years, you just never know. I think there is so much hype over the West Cary schools that Southeast Cary often gets overlooked. Personally, I LOVE this location - the established look/feel of the area, the proximity to downtown Raleigh, stores, restaurants, etc... I would never leave just to change high schools (and I'm a typical overbearing, nervous mom). and I don't feel at all apprehensive about sending my boys to Athens (if that's still our assignment when the time comes.)

Last but not least, you never know what the procedure will be for school assignments in the upcoming year. I have read that they are planning a fairly major overhaul for the 2015-2016 school year. But who knows?

I just want to ease your mind that the schools are really quite good down here and you pretty much can't go wrong wherever you end up. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM

528 posts, read 932,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee1108 View Post
Hi. We live in Lochmere Highlands and have the same school assignments as you mentioned. While Dillard may be the traditional option, West Lake is the year-round option. We actually applied to Lufkin Road Middle School and got in - my son is a 6th grader there this year. I think we got in because we requested Track 2 wheras most people prefer tr. 1 or 4. Anyway, I would have been happy with West Lake or Lufkin. Both are excellent and I have heard nothing but good things from the other parents in our neighborhood.

Our elementary school is Oak Grove, which is one of the best in Wake County. My 3rd grade son attends there and we are thrilled with the staff and parental involvement. NOW, as for the high school assignment of Athens Drive.... we went back and forth with this for a while. We are transplants from Northern New Jersey and are used to good high schools so I know how hard this decision is for you. However, from what I can gather, the negative hype surrounding Athens is quite overblown. We have tons of wonderful kids in our neighborhood who attend Athens (some of them have babysat for us) and I have grilled them as to the "real deal" on Athens. Apparently, while there are a few rough kids there, they report that they have never felt unsafe, and that the great majority of kids there are nice and it's a "normal" high school environment.

Athens also has a fairly new S.T.E.M program which is a definite game changer. This school could well become a desired school in the next few years, you just never know. I think there is so much hype over the West Cary schools that Southeast Cary often gets overlooked. Personally, I LOVE this location - the established look/feel of the area, the proximity to downtown Raleigh, stores, restaurants, etc... I would never leave just to change high schools (and I'm a typical overbearing, nervous mom). and I don't feel at all apprehensive about sending my boys to Athens (if that's still our assignment when the time comes.)

Last but not least, you never know what the procedure will be for school assignments in the upcoming year. I have read that they are planning a fairly major overhaul for the 2015-2016 school year. But who knows?

I just want to ease your mind that the schools are really quite good down here and you pretty much can't go wrong wherever you end up. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Great info and had not heard about that STEM program at Athens.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 AM

5,825 posts, read 6,888,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I'm also curious about this area and what the current view is of the assigned schools. I've read through the CD posts but am interested for the latest feedback on the assigned schools (Penny Rd Elem, Dillard Drive middle and Athens Dr HS). I've heard not very good feedback on Dillard.
We were not thrilled when we learned the HS was Athens. However, we had three graduate from there and it was a positive experience for all. It is one of the older schools in the area. (Maybe someday they will resolve the issue and get the stadium parking lot paved.). We didn't like some of the teachers, but there are others that have been there 10+ years and are great.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 983 times
Default Children in Wyndfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmoore6 View Post
We are looking at a house in Wyndfall neighborhood of Regency. Are there school aged children there. We have elementary and middle school aged kids and want their transition to be easy. What's your opinion on this area?
Thanks!
Txmoore6,

Did you end up moving into Wyndfall? My family will be moving there in Sep and we have the same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary