Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 AM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That's a good point. The state sets the pay level for all teachers, I assume so that no one county/system can get away with paying ultra low salaries. Then each district has the option to give additional pay. So Wake County seems more desirable. It just isn't. (If I had my druthers I'd work in a smaller community in NC that didn't have such oversized elementary schools.)

But if the GA doesn't set the pay levels....wouldn't teachers get paid less?

If we want teachers to be paid more, we can raise State taxes or we can raise County taxes.

We wouldn't have to do that up to NY state levels to make a difference.

We have the collective mentality vs. the independent mentality, and the outcome is not all that productive.
I understand the value of the flow of tax money from wealthier counties to support schools in poorer counties for the good of all. And, I understand the value of the flow of tax money within a county that has a disparity of wealth, such as Wake County.
What I don't get is that Cary (Or any other municipality with a higher cost of living) cannot put more money on the table for school teacher paychecks. Throttling that, as happened with Glen Lang's initiative, seems like wielding political power for the sport of it with no desire to provide value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

If we want teachers to be paid more, we can raise State taxes or we can raise County taxes.

No tax increase needed. There's plenty of waste in the NC/local budgets to give teachers a raise. Even in the school budget itself the bloated administration could do with a good pruning. Take these 'savings' and raise teacher pay. Just a reallocation of tax revenue.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
In 1978 I started teaching in NJ and my contract was for 10,900
Fast forward to 2014 Here in wake County NC starting contract 34,000..

36 years later!!! Absurd. Oh the starting contract in 1978 here in Wake County was around 6,000.

This is a true embarrassment for anyone who thinks the salary is adequate.

A real good question is why would you start a career in teaching in a right to work state! ?? I know of 15 young teachers who have left NC in the past year.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
USNews and World report HS ratings

Green Hope HS 304
West Forsyth 378
Panther Creek HS 686

New Jersey High Schools Listed 11,20,62,107,129,132,177,186,209,216,221,236,238,2 53,275,285,301

There are 18 listed above Green Hope!! 40 more listed better than Panther Creek!!

We get what we pay for. Poor schools.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
In 1978 I started teaching in NJ and my contract was for 10,900
Fast forward to 2014 Here in wake County NC starting contract 34,000..

36 years later!!! Absurd. Oh the starting contract in 1978 here in Wake County was around 6,000.

This is a true embarrassment for anyone who thinks the salary is adequate.

A real good question is why would you start a career in teaching in a right to work state! ?? I know of 15 young teachers who have left NC in the past year.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what are you suggesting a non-embarassing adequate salary should be for a 9-month work year? Since most starting jobs only get 2 weeks of vacation tops, there is something to be said for being in the office the whole year and most jobs are now expecting more then the typical 40 hours a week.

I have a lot of teacher friends, granted not in NC, but they all like the flexibility of the time off to do other things on all of their numerous breaks throughout the year. Life comes with tradeoffs.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what are you suggesting a non-embarassing adequate salary should be for a 9-month work year? Since most starting jobs only get 2 weeks of vacation tops, there is something to be said for being in the office the whole year and most jobs are now expecting more then the typical 40 hours a week.

I have a lot of teacher friends, granted not in NC, but they all like the flexibility of the time off to do other things on all of their numerous breaks throughout the year. Life comes with tradeoffs.
First off, teachers do work closer to 10 months of the year, even if they list it as 9 months..... they're being generous with themselves over at DPI.

Let's just say that with that starting salary around 30k a year for 10 months we do the math... if they worked 12 months that would be a salary of 36k a year.

It's still a crappy salary for a college-educated professional that is held to such high standards of accountability. There are admins in RTP who make more money to do less. No offense to admins, of course.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
USNews and World report HS ratings

Green Hope HS 304
West Forsyth 378
Panther Creek HS 686

New Jersey High Schools Listed 11,20,62,107,129,132,177,186,209,216,221,236,238,2 53,275,285,301

There are 18 listed above Green Hope!! 40 more listed better than Panther Creek!!

We get what we pay for. Poor schools.
Comparitively, this is the system we paid taxes for for about thirteen years and never had childen in the school system.

The Chicago Lampoon: Schaumburg District 211 Foot-Dragging on Transparency: Teachers Salaries Listed

I am floored as I keep track of this discussion. Several teachers and office staff have resigned at my kids' school over the past four years we've been here. I didn't know all of them personally but it seems like compensation and overall respect for what they do is sorely lacking based on the ones I have spoken to directly.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
WHO actually decides what teachers get paid?

Is it WCPSS? HOW do they decide? Is it based on the budget they get from the state?

WHO do we need to contact to SUGGEST that we want teacher salaries to increase?

I'm being serious...what can the average person do to fix this issue?

Vicki

Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post

That argument gets old. They have a 9 (or 10) month work year because that is what the school system demands of them. It's not something they negotiated. And many teachers are working year round, with summer school and whatnot.

But to answer your question:
It's very subjective, but I don't think anyone would argue that a teacher should be making less than the average graduate with similar credentials. I tried to look it up on City Data, but got an error. I looked at another site, and the average for ALL salaries in Raleigh is $39k. That includes non-degree'd workers, as well as the various levels of degree. I would think that teachers with Batchelors, and certainly those with Masters should fall somewhere above this average.

The problem of underpaying our teachers is a US problem, and is likely one of the biggest reasons we are falling behind in our global leadership. I don't know the answer, but certainly it is "higher then they are getting paid now".

If the 9-month thing bothers you so, then let teachers work all year, or let kids attend school all year, but don't hold it against them. (You can't go get 20% of a career, spread out at intevals throughout the year, to fill that gap)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary