Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I do think teachers deserve better pay. That said, I will pose the same question I have asked before and never heard a viable response. Where will the money come from? Is there surplus out there or are we all just ready to pay more in taxes?

Again, I think teachers deserve raises, I just don't know where the money is that can make it happen.
How about those ridiculous pay scales for the Health and Social Services or whatever that dept is where the 24 year old kids were making 6 figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
I have always thought it was pretty crazy that I make more as an Administrative Assistant with no college education that new teachers and even some of the older ones.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
The state employees/teachers need the right to unionize.

The only good thing that can come out of teacher losses can be a stop in transplants coming here after realizing it's no longer such a great place.

Be sure to vote out the present legislature ASAP if you want this state to stay out of the toilet.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
There is no profession or workplace that would be okay with a brand new employee making the same, let alone more, than an experienced employee when pay is not negotiable. None. No wonder they are leaving in droves.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
It's becoming more and more difficult being a teacher, today.

Low pay and ever demanding parents in this social media world. The expectations are high and they take a lot of abuse from everybody.

Not worth the stress for 35-40 grand a year.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Ohio is witnessing an exodus of unprecedented proportions for 2 reasons. 1.) they changed retirement and 2.) they are moving to a totally different super / admin / teacher eval process.

1.) in Ohio it use to be you could teach 30 years and retire making 66% of your best 3 years. if you taught for 35 years you could retire with 88% of your best 3. now they have gotten rid of the 35 year mark and its just 30 years. anyone over 30 is now bolting.

2.) evaluation methodology in the state is now totally data driven. supers / building level admins / teachers are now evaluated solely on data and progress of data.

its not just NC i would imagine but obviously also Ohio and i'm sure other states.

i had a transportation supervisor in my district tell me once that you can always tell when there is an upswing in the economy b/c school bus drivers begin to resign / quit and it gets tougher to hire new ones. the more i thought about that observation the more it made sense haha. same thing might apply to teaching i would imagine.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 PM

the starting pay in my district has not changed much since i started 10 years ago. i know a handful of new teachers in their early 20s who are full time employed as teachers but still live with mom and dad. i know another couple or more who live in apartments of 3 or 4 to save on rent. i can not imagine making it on what they make as a first year teacher.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
the starting pay in my district has not changed much since i started 10 years ago. .....
Welcome to the rest of America.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I've gotten raises every year since I stopped teaching in 2003.

The economy has been down, but there are plenty of people getting raises.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post

right out of high school i worked at a grocery warehouse driving a forklift for 10 dollars an hour. this was in union heavy ohio and yes after 90 days i did get inducted into the teamsters union haha.

i graduated high school in 1999 and 10 bucks an hour for an 18 year old in the late 90s was magical i tells ya.

a few years ago i looked up the same job at various employers around SC / NC and the pay was anywhere from 8 / hr. to 12 / hr. so in 15 years give or take the pay even for those jobs hasn't gone up either.

current inflation it appears means that those "forklift / distribution" jobs SHOULD be paying around 14 dollars an hour AND minimum wage SHOULD be around 10 dollars if wages are to keep up with inflation.

my dad started teaching in 1971 and started off making 7K a year. inflation rates calculate that starting teachers by comparison should be making AT LEAST 38k to start. funny thing is I make 38K and i've been teaching for a decade now haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary