Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I listen to Marketplace on WUNC because I don't listen to commercial radio. If I want to really listen to music, though, and not just random commercials and the occasional pop song, I'll listen off my iPhone or iPod. If I'm listening to the radio in the car (often we have audio books going) 90% of the time it's WUNC. Occasionally I'll tune in one of the college stations, usually WXYC, but occasionally the jazz station out of NCCU (WKNC, NC State's station tends toward metal if you're looking for that) or WCHL (Chapel Hill's local station), WCPE (classical) or occasionally if I have random kids in my car I might put it on 98.7 Simon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Smartphone: I usually run Spotify, with Pandora as a backup. But for short trips, I understand your reluctance to hook it all up. (Wireless bluetooth is nice, but still not worth it for a five minute trip.

96.1 is locally owned. Not great, but something.
WSHA (around 88.9 or something??) is good public radio, with decent blues, funk and whatnot, plus the same news as 91.5
92.3 in greensboro has an occasional good song
I think it's 103.5 in Fayetteville is the same.
...and I have one more preset, but I can't remember what it is. Anyway, two NPR and 4 "rock radio" presets, I can usually find something decent on a short drive.

Best is Spotify though. (Free with my unlimited data, and I can play other people's playlists, so that gives variety.)

Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,190 times
You could go satellite radio for a pretty cheap rate. If you sign up and then threaten to cancel the subscription, the retention offer is usually $20 for 5 months. I played that game for several years, but then I happened to get lucky and bought a used Sirius unit that had a lifetime subscription on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary