Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 PM

4,561 posts, read 3,763,284 times

Advertisements

This was in today's wral story about Cary growth and schools.

Cary growth too much for overcrowded schools :: WRAL.com

Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,284,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
This was in today's wral story about Cary growth and schools.

Cary growth too much for overcrowded schools :: WRAL.com
"...it probably does mean higher taxes"

Nice. Very nice.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
First, how are out of towners supposed to know that people are flocking to West Cary like lemmings? And second, even if they did purposely choose the lemming area, why would they think their assigned school would be capped? ).
Research, baby. Research. If you're smart enough to have a job and can afford a house in western Cary, it's not much of a stretch to be able to do the research. WCPSS.NET is a plethora of information. The data manager at the school you want to attend is a plethora of information. As a parent who chose to live where the school assignments are stable and the "holy trinity" of schools (thanks Mike Jaquish!), it is annoying year after year to have people trying to figure out ways to play the system to get in. I am honestly not familiar with the mindset of "I have kids, I'm going to buy the house I like and worry about the school situation later". It's back a$$wards to me. Your mileage my vary.

I agree with RedZin that people bought blind (which I think your post makes clear per my quote above, I'm still scratching my head about people buying without doing any research) and paid a lot of money and just thought it would all fall into place. And you know what? I think it kinda sucks that it doesn't. But again, it's nothing more than poor planning. Spending more than half a million on a house without crossing the "t"s and dotting the "I"s is dumb. In fact, not being familiar with the area makes it all the more imperative to be nit-picky - I remember standing outside a house and being able to hear them building 540. I have hearing like the Bionic Man, so that house was crossed off the list right then and there. Do not discount due diligence in all aspects of homeownership, because something is always going to go to crap at some point.

P.S. Most people would consider where I live to be "western Cary" although probably not far enough west for you to not think I'm jealous of you. I always love the "you're jealous" argument.

P.P.S. I'm trying to think hard of when I've ever "slammed" west Cary on these boards. I don't think I ever have. But anything's possible.

Last edited by twingles; 04-25-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 AM

54 posts, read 86,354 times
Just a little levity... It was the bionic woman that had the bionic ear...the man, Steve Austin, had a bionic eye

This thread is helpful to those of us who moved here, renting, and still thinking about where to buy. Thanks to all.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 AM

360 posts, read 517,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Research, baby. Research. If you're smart enough to have a job and can afford a house in western Cary, it's not much of a stretch to be able to do the research. WCPSS.NET is a plethora of information. The data manager at the school you want to attend is a plethora of information. As a parent who chose to live where the school assignments are stable and the "holy trinity" of schools (thanks Mike Jaquish!), it is annoying year after year to have people trying to figure out ways to play the system to get in. I am honestly not familiar with the mindset of "I have kids, I'm going to buy the house I like and worry about the school situation later". It's back a$$wards to me. Your mileage my vary.

I agree with RedZin that people bought blind (which I think your post makes clear per my quote above, I'm still scratching my head about people buying without doing any research) and paid a lot of money and just thought it would all fall into place. And you know what? I think it kinda sucks that it doesn't. But again, it's nothing more than poor planning. Spending more than half a million on a house without crossing the "t"s and dotting the "I"s is dumb. In fact, not being familiar with the area makes it all the more imperative to be nit-picky - I remember standing outside a house and being able to hear them building 540. I have hearing like the Bionic Man, so that house was crossed off the list right then and there. Do not discount due diligence in all aspects of homeownership, because something is always going to go to crap at some point.

P.S. Most people would consider where I live to be "western Cary" although probably not far enough west for you to not think I'm jealous of you. I always love the "you're jealous" argument.

P.P.S. I'm trying to think hard of when I've ever "slammed" west Cary on these boards. I don't think I ever have. But anything's possible.
Either limit growth by not allowing development or get over it. Don't take the tax money from the new people and then blame everything on them. They are paying into the system as well. No one is trying to free load.

There is no way there's enough supply to meet the demand for new homes if people only buy in established neighborhoods. This solution may have worked for you but it doesn't scale to be able to work for everyone.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
Either limit growth by not allowing development or get over it. Don't take the tax money from the new people and then blame everything on them. They are paying into the system as well. No one is trying to free load.

There is no way there's enough supply to meet the demand for new homes if people only buy in established neighborhoods. This solution may have worked for you but it doesn't scale to be able to work for everyone.
I don't think that is what she said.

Bottom line is that if you buy in a high-growth area of town, then you'll have to just suck it up when it comes to school assignments, and not expect the rest of the people in the same town (or county, for that matter) to be super-eager to have their taxes raised so the county can build you a school fast enough to have your kids going to the school nearest your home.

I'm totally cool with people moving wherever on earth they want to move, but I think it behooves people to do their due diligence first and get all the facts.

And I think that's pretty much what twingles said.

(though I am not her, so you'd have to ask her to be certain)

Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,056 times
Thank you for all the responses. My husband will be working at RTP, and schools are excellent throughout Cary, so for us it was a no-brainer to look there. We only had a four day window to look for housing, so I cannot claim to be an expert on the area. We did drive to Apex and Holly Springs, but they felt more rural to me. I'm from Atlanta, so I am looking for a little more activity and amenities. Also, I am not sure where my next job will be, so Cary does provide a decent commute Chapel Hill, Durham or Raleigh.

We would certainly be open to suggestions to areas with good commuting time to RTP and good schools. Do you have any? We did some investigating in N. Raleigh but learned that there is some increasing gang activity in the area. And, we love Chapel Hill but homes are so very dated and taxes high. Durham and Chatham schools have rather negative reputations.

I have called every school to get a reality check on the situation and our ability to get in. Based on their feedback, it is unlikely that my kids will ever get into Mills Park as no new schools are currently being built and there is a long waiting list. Unfortunately, we found a home for sale that we love there. : ( The capping of this school and all the others surrounding it, significantly decreases our options for home buying. We just want to know if there is anyone else out there who is struggling with this and where their kids will go to school??

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
I think what people are saying is you are missing the whole area east of NC55 all the way to Maynard Road and as far north as Harrison Avenue.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM

360 posts, read 517,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't think that is what she said.

Bottom line is that if you buy in a high-growth area of town, then you'll have to just suck it up when it comes to school assignments, and not expect the rest of the people in the same town (or county, for that matter) to be super-eager to have their taxes raised so the county can build you a school fast enough to have your kids going to the school nearest your home.

I'm totally cool with people moving wherever on earth they want to move, but I think it behooves people to do their due diligence first and get all the facts.

And I think that's pretty much what twingles said.

(though I am not her, so you'd have to ask her to be certain)
Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm a bit snippy. The negativity is frustrating. I don't feel very welcome when I read comments like these.

If you add new families to the school system at the current rate, you will need to build capacity. It's a fact! If you don't want to build new schools or expand the space at the schools, you are basically saying you don't want new people to move in. How else could this be interpreted?

Yes, it makes sense to build new schools out west, but either way, you will have to add space for the new kids.
Or don't allow new developments, and send the new arrivals to another county... along with their tax dollars.
Eventually I would think it would even out as the tax base for the county increases with the increased need for schools.

Last edited by YetAnotherTransplant; 04-27-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm a bit snippy. The negativity is frustrating. I don't feel very welcome when I read comments like these.

If you add new families to the school system at the current rate, you will need to build capacity. It's a fact! If you don't want to build new schools or expand the space at the schools, you are basically saying you don't want new people to move in. How else could this be interpreted?

Yes, it makes sense to build new schools out west, but either way, you will have to add space for the new kids.
Or don't allow new developments, and send the new arrivals to another county... along with their tax dollars.
Eventually I would think it would even out as the tax base for the county increases with the increased need for schools.
I don't run Cary... ask them what they have planned... or don't have planned.

I suspect that this area pretty much just wants tax dollars and they see people interested in the area, so they allow these developments without giving much thought to the kids that come with the purchase of all these new homes.

Or the kids who already live here and go to school here who are affected by overcrowding when new kids arrive.

It's not the regular citizens who are saying that they don't want new schools or new people to move here, not really (though I would be keen on development being a bit slower, and better planned). It's really the town you chose to move to that isn't addressing your needs as a future homeowner.

Put this way... once you move here and there aren't any new schools for your kids yet, and you're sitting there having people complain about how they cannot go to the school next door to their new neighborhood and you already know how overcrowded schools are and how poorly-planned some of the development is, will you be sitting there thinking... "ah well, they want to move here so I don't mind if my kid is in a classroom with 45 kids next year instead of 30 kids, because I'm a supportive person"... or will you think "Oh, man... I like that this area is expanding, but they need to get more schools built to accommodate all these new people because my kid's class is gonna be a zoo pretty soon."?

Some of the realtors on here jokingly refer to this as the "close the door behind me" syndrome. People think the area is great and they want to move here, but once they get here, they don't want others to move here in droves and wreck the good thing they have going.

It isn't that nobody wants new people to move here... it's just that if I could, I'd spread you all around a little bit. LOL.

I am kidding, of course, but the Triangle is a big area, and some areas are more crowded than others, and some have more school capacity than others, but people tend to get very focused on certain areas. Most notably, Cary, North Raleigh, and Chapel Hill. I suspect that Wake Forest and Clayton will be feeling the sting very soon. People also struggle ITB in Raleigh because of the popularity of that area.

I understand totally needing to be convenient to work and so forth, but there are people who move here who telecommute and could live anywhere in the area that they wanted to, but they choose an area like West Cary and then complain about their kids not going to the school next door and I just think "well, no kidding, man."

See? It's not about being angry that new people come here. Hell, we'd all be angry 24/7 in Cary and Chapel Hill if that sort of thing riled us up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary