Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think what people are saying is you are missing the whole area east of NC55 all the way to Maynard Road and as far north as Harrison Avenue.
Formerly known as "West Cary," before Cary moved further West.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Ha ha, like my parents who live in Chatham County, but live in Cary, in the same zip code as me!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Ha ha, like my parents who live in Chatham County, but live in Cary, in the same zip code as me!
Cary... membership has its privileges.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
But that is why zip codes mean less than nothing for this area. It's possible to have the Wake Forest zip code (27587) and live in one of three counties (Wake, Granville, Franklin).

Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Yeah we didn't look at zip codes at all when we moved.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 PM

621 posts, read 982,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwalls View Post
We would certainly be open to suggestions to areas with good commuting time to RTP and good schools. Do you have any?
Were you unable to find anything in N/ NW Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, etc.? If you failed to find anything, you would have to revise your search criteria.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:56 PM

621 posts, read 982,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
Either limit growth by not allowing development or get over it. Don't take the tax money from the new people and then blame everything on them. They are paying into the system as well. No one is trying to free load.
Clearly the taxes newcomers pay is disproportionate to the expenses incurred in building and running new schools. Else, there wouldn't be a need for a new bond. Why someone in Knightdale or Zebulon needs to pay for more growth in Western Wake is mind boggling.

People who already live here don't need to be paying for more and more schools. Newcomers should be paying for that. But the learned people of the judiciary disagree with a common sense approach.

CARY: Cary loses appeal on fees | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

"From 1999 to 2004, Cary required developers to get the Wake County school system to certify that there were enough seats in town schools to handle the residents of new homes. In lieu of the school district's approval, builders and developers could pay fees to the town."

The other thing WCPSS should be doing is switching to mandatory YR, at least in high growth areas.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:25 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Clearly the taxes newcomers pay is disproportionate to the expenses incurred in building and running new schools. Else, there wouldn't be a need for a new bond. Why someone in Knightdale or Zebulon needs to pay for more growth in Western Wake is mind boggling.

People who already live here don't need to be paying for more and more schools. Newcomers should be paying for that. But the learned people of the judiciary disagree with a common sense approach.

CARY: Cary loses appeal on fees | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

"From 1999 to 2004, Cary required developers to get the Wake County school system to certify that there were enough seats in town schools to handle the residents of new homes. In lieu of the school district's approval, builders and developers could pay fees to the town."

The other thing WCPSS should be doing is switching to mandatory YR, at least in high growth areas.
Cary leaders knew that that measure was not legitimate when it was passed. It was a major error in nose-thumbing.

But it is worth noting that Cary businesses and residents per capita support Wake schools disproportionately already via property taxes paid at the same County rate but on higher assessed values than for similar properties in several other municipalities or unincorporated areas .
And childless homes all over support schools, with that burden again falling disproportionately to Cary households without kids due to those higher tax assessments on similar properties.

Really, the only fair way is to charge tuition for public schools and offer financial support to families who demonstrate need via means testing. Just one other instance where "fair" is not "desirable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary