Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,057 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a home in Cary Park, but our two kids (boy entering 2nd grade and a girl entering 4th grade) cannot attend the local school Mills Park because of recent caps. Is there anyone else out there with kids in Cary Park attending Weatherstone or considering Turner Creek next fall? This will be a big move for us, and I want our kids to make friends and feel a part of the community. It would be great to know they are on the bus with neighbors!

How does everyone like Weatherstone or Turner Creek? Thanks for your help!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 13,043 times
Hi, are you coming from within the Triangle area or new to Wake county schools? The capping issue is going to be a problem for the new folks in northwest Cary for a while. We are in Amberly which has a lot of kids going to Alston Ridge ES, then feeding to MPMS and Panther Creek. ARE was built as a multi-track year round school but in its first years it was under-enrolled. They have been running the whole school on one single track (4) for a couple of years, but new neighborhoods have lots of new coming in and now ARE is considered to be "capped" too. That is a bit crazy considering the school has three non-full tracks that could be running, accepting kids who are moving in to the Amberly neighborhoods as well as catching the overflow of students from MPE. I think you will find that the majority of kids in Cary Park are attending MPE, and then transition to MPMS and then Panther Creek HS. The "overflow" schools you are mentioning might not have the same feeder pattern for middle and high school, particularly Weatherstone ES, it is not close to Cary Park. I would check on that feeder pattern before committing to anything, just know that there will be lots of shuffling around in northwest Cary for newcomers to these neighborhoods until things settle down.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times
there is no feeder pattern anymore. that was a one (two?) year experiment that as soon as the current Board won election, they did away with.

An address is assigned to A school for elementary, A school for middle, and A school for high school.

you are provided a calendar choice (primarily for the folks whose address is year-round but don't want year round). That choice could be a ways from your home.

If the school you are assigned to is capped, then you're given a choice on same type calendar, plus the aforementioned calendar option.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times
as to the original question, both Weatherstone and Turner Creek are good schools. Folks in Western Wake have primarily been put off by driving past several (also crowded) schools to get to Weatherstone.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM

715 posts, read 889,832 times
You raise a real concern as the area gains more and more in terms of population growth the only solution is to build more schools but that will raise taxes.

I would reconsider moving here as taxes will be on par with some other places in the near future and for what? The services This was a trade-off in year's past when the area had little congestion without Walgreens/strip mall's on every corner but now I am not so sure.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM

360 posts, read 517,151 times
We're thinking about some of the same questions... We're renting for a year in the Mills Park ES area with a child that will be in K not this year but next. We want to buy next summer in the same area you're talking about but it would be frustrating to drive so far out of our way every day to take him to a school that is different from all the other kids in the neighborhood. :/ I don't have any answers, but I've heard some stories of people getting in anyway to capped schools (usually they registered before April for the next year though). I think we'll try that but with realistic expectations. I think you should call the school and ask, since I've heard different stories for different schools.

If we end up having to drive that far anyway, and our child's friends will all be that far away anyway, we might consider an AIG basics magnet school like Fuller. (You have already missed the Magnet school application period for next year, btw, so this would not be an option for you next year.)

I think our choices in order would be:
1) mills park
2) turner creek (not as far as weatherstone)
3) fuller (magnet)
4) weatherstone

Good luck! I would be interested in comparing notes in the future. Feel free to PM me. We're moving to the area in 3 weeks.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:15 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
I'm gonna ask a silly question here, so bear with me.

I see this capped schools situation come up pretty often here on the CD Triangle board and I cannot help wondering why it doesn't seem like anyone is considering a search for a home in an area with more stable school assignments.

If you MUST have new construction and cannot find an infill neighborhood that's in a stable assignment area, I get it, but if you are open to resales/renovated homes (and most in Cary aren't exactly ancient anyway) why not consider other areas?

I know that West Cary is the "hot" area, but it's less convenient to many other Triangle amenities than some other parts of Cary (if you must even be in Cary...I dunno that I wouldn't buy in Holly Springs at this point if I was very worried about an elementary school option for little kids... mine are all middle school or older) because the school assignments would be a bit easier to predict.

The reality is that any time you buy in a rapidly-expanding area, you will have to deal with being shuffled around. If your top priority is to get your kid into a school nearby and to not have him/her moved around, why not buy in an area that is still close to wherever you need to be (usually RTP on these boards, anyway) and get a stable school assignment?

I realize that even the more stable areas can change, but West Cary isn't going to be stable for quite some time.

And, for the record? ALL of Cary is chock full of transplants. Some of the transplants in older areas of Cary that aren't newly transplanted have been here for a good many years and are surely going to be just as open and friendly as people who just got here and are as confused as everyone else that recently arrived.

Just a thought.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,987,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm gonna ask a silly question here, so bear with me.

I see this capped schools situation come up pretty often here on the CD Triangle board and I cannot help wondering why it doesn't seem like anyone is considering a search for a home in an area with more stable school assignments.

If you MUST have new construction and cannot find an infill neighborhood that's in a stable assignment area, I get it, but if you are open to resales/renovated homes (and most in Cary aren't exactly ancient anyway) why not consider other areas?

I know that West Cary is the "hot" area, but it's less convenient to many other Triangle amenities than some other parts of Cary (if you must even be in Cary...I dunno that I wouldn't buy in Holly Springs at this point if I was very worried about an elementary school option for little kids... mine are all middle school or older) because the school assignments would be a bit easier to predict.

The reality is that any time you buy in a rapidly-expanding area, you will have to deal with being shuffled around. If your top priority is to get your kid into a school nearby and to not have him/her moved around, why not buy in an area that is still close to wherever you need to be (usually RTP on these boards, anyway) and get a stable school assignment?

I realize that even the more stable areas can change, but West Cary isn't going to be stable for quite some time.

And, for the record? ALL of Cary is chock full of transplants. Some of the transplants in older areas of Cary that aren't newly transplanted have been here for a good many years and are surely going to be just as open and friendly as people who just got here and are as confused as everyone else that recently arrived.

Just a thought.
And I see comments like this all the time. Even posed as a question, it tends to come off as a passive aggressive jab at West Cary. Quite frankly it makes those of you, who do it regularly, seem envious and resentful (because it's the same 2-3 people every time). It's like you read "West Cary" and interpret it as "Ewww, the rest of Cary sucks", so you feel the need to point out any flaw you think West Cary has. In fact, I'd say that most of us here (in West Cary) don't think of it as separate from the rest of Cary. The only place I've ever seen the distinction is here on these message boards. By the people who don't live in West Cary.

To answer your question, I think it's a combination of location, new development and "good schools" that attracts transplants. If you're just looking at test scores, you're going to look in West Cary. Even if you are capped out of your base and have to go to an overflow, chances are, if it's also in West Cary, it still has higher scores than other Cary schools. And simmer down people, I know test scores aren't everything (or anything), but it's the only resource people have when they're researching long distance.

I've yet to find any "amenities" that are less convenient than if I lived in a different part of Cary (except, maybe Lazy Days). Any errand running is easily accomplished within a 10 minute radius of my house (Beaver Creek, Brier Creek, Park West, 10,000 Harris Teeters, etc.) I do my mall shopping at Southpoint, since it's about 15 minutes away down O'Kelly Chapel to 751. I've lived here for 7 years and have yet to find a reason I need to go to Crabtree. And the positive side to the airplane noise is that the airport is really convenient.

I work in Durham (not RTP, but Durham off 15-501), and my co-workers who live in Wake Forest, North Raleigh, Holly Springs, Fuquay, and yes, even other parts of Cary, constantly complain about their commute. I used to have a co-worker who lived off of Lake Pine. It took her 3 times as long to get home as it took me. So if you want to live in Wake County (for whatever reason), and you work anywhere west of downtown Raleigh, West Cary really is pretty freaking convenient.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
If you are living the neighborhood for a capped school by April of the year you want to attend you are guaranteed a seat at that school
If you live in Cary park and have a 3 year old your child is going to mills park for elementary school.

I don't think anyone is slamming west Cary. But it is a bit silly to move somewhere that people are flocking to like lemmings and not expect some issues. One of the reAsons we moved where we did was because of the historically stable school assignments and the fact it was already built out for the most part. Didn't get a brand new custom home but that's life. Always a trade off. If you're choosing to trade off the stable schools for the big custom house stop complaining about the situation you are, applying for transfers to other already crowded schools and deal with it.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
You raise a real concern as the area gains more and more in terms of population growth the only solution is to build more schools but that will raise taxes.

I would reconsider moving here as taxes will be on par with some other places in the near future and for what? The services This was a trade-off in year's past when the area had little congestion without Walgreens/strip mall's on every corner but now I am not so sure.
A large bond was just passed that is the funding the construction of several new schools and also repairs on old schools. I believe projection was that this would cost the average tax payer $180 more per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary