U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 12,193 times

Advertisements

Has anyone looked into either (or both) of these new Charter schools? If so, what is your general feel for them? We got into both and are having a hard time deciding since they are new and not much to go on.

Last edited by Soccerfamily; 04-26-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 5,913,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfamily View Post
Has anyone looked into either (or both) of these new Charter schools? If so, what is your general feel for them? We got into both and are having a hard time deciding since they are new and not much to go on.
Another post about this? And from another first time poster? Things that make you go hum.....

I would say look whose getting the money and then decide if it's a fit....but something tells me you are probably already on the payroll or have swallowed the charter school kool-aide.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 PM

34,820 posts, read 32,747,699 times
Quote:
Where are you located that you'd apply to 2 schools on the opposite sides of Wake County?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where are you located that you'd apply to 2 schools on the opposite sides of Wake County?

I thought the same thing....since parents have to supply their own transportation. They are over 34 miles apart and the route includes some of the busiest in Wake County (540 and Capital)...if you live near one....getting to the other would be a nightmare.

Did a little checking...Wake Forest is going to be run by National Heritage Academies. A for-profit out of Michigan (not even an instate company!!) ....whose had several lawsuits against them for teaching things outside of the states approved curriculum (such as creationism instead of science). Funny to....they had to redraw the lottery earlier this month, because they couldn't follow their own rules and played favorites.

Cardinal is going to be by a Florida for-profit (another out of state getting our NC tax money and let's face it...Florida is not known for good schools for the most part)...they've also has plenty of lawsuits for abuse, neglect and improper hiring/firing.

Both companies spend a decent percentage of their profits on political contributions (normally right wing and ballot measures to favor their deals).

Is this really what we want for Wake County schools? Our own home-grown charter companies , Bob Luddy's for example, are bad enough...especially when they won't take any special needs students because it ruins their profit margin.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,193 times
I work near Cardinal Charter but live in North Raleigh (almost in Wake Forest). Because of my work and home location, I may be amongst the few that are considering both.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 PM

34,820 posts, read 32,747,699 times
Quote:
I work near Cardinal Charter but live in North Raleigh (almost in Wake Forest). Because of my work and home location, I may be amongst the few that are considering both.
I know Cardinal has a web site with plenty of info.

I know nothing about the other school.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,082,142 times
I wouldn't consider either one. I don't think of my kids education as something I'd like to experiment with

Old 04-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I wouldn't consider either one. I don't think of my kids education as something I'd like to experiment with
Don't worry....I don't think any of the recent posters asking about them are really risking any child's education.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

571 posts, read 1,218,881 times
To those of you who are trying to promote your for-profit charters . . . CUT IT OUT!!

For those folks who are new to the charter school world, there are some good and honest charter schools out there, you just have to look for them.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
To those of you who are trying to promote your for-profit charters . . . CUT IT OUT!!

For those folks who are new to the charter school world, there are some good and honest charter schools out there, you just have to look for them.
And even the 'not completely for profit' ones can have a agenda. People need to realize that 'charter' does not equal better than public or private.....though there are a few decent charter schools out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.