Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,175 times

Advertisements

Had a real scary event a couple of nights ago... My dog and I were sitting on the patio minding our own business. I heard a sound and looked over by the door into the family room. There was a large copperhead curled up there. I ran over to the neighbor's for help, since there was no other entrance to the house. They just killed a smaller copperhead in their garage the day before. By the time he came over, the snake moved. He took a whack at it with a shovel and hit it, but did not kill it. It got away in the bushes/vine near the garage door. Still out there! This one was the third copperhead in a week in our North Raleigh neighborhood. I'm a real nature lover, camped a lot, want to coexist, but with kids and pets around, this is too close for comfort. When will they go back to their dens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:02 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northraleighmom View Post
Had a real scary event a couple of nights ago... My dog and I were sitting on the patio minding our own business. I heard a sound and looked over by the door into the family room. There was a large copperhead curled up there. I ran over to the neighbor's for help, since there was no other entrance to the house. They just killed a smaller copperhead in their garage the day before. By the time he came over, the snake moved. He took a whack at it with a shovel and hit it, but did not kill it. It got away in the bushes/vine near the garage door. Still out there! This one was the third copperhead in a week in our North Raleigh neighborhood. I'm a real nature lover, camped a lot, want to coexist, but with kids and pets around, this is too close for comfort. When will they go back to their dens?
When the development pushes them away...

Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 PM

116 posts, read 173,035 times
Ack! Was walking the loop at Shelley Lake and nearly ran over a smallish Copperhead with my stroller! My eyes were glued to the trail from then on out, that's for sure.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM

222 posts, read 403,889 times
Quote:
They won't be back for some time. Some folks think that they will hibernate when it's 60 degrees outside. It's more like when we're experiencing freezing temperatures that they will go hibernate. When it's 40 and 50 outside, if they can find a rock/concrete that is bathed in sunlight for several hours a day, they can be perfectly comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
When the development pushes them away...
This is true, but we're often in their environments. I know that not far from my front or back door is a perfect copperhead habitat. I try to keep my wife and I on high alert. It seems paranoid, but when I've spotted four from my front porch earlier this summer, I got to work. I recognize that it's theirs, but you have to be extremely vigilant if you live in their areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
Ack! Was walking the loop at Shelley Lake and nearly ran over a smallish Copperhead with my stroller! My eyes were glued to the trail from then on out, that's for sure.
That's frightening. Gotta be careful and keep the eyes peeled. We literally live in their habitat.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM

95 posts, read 131,386 times
Quote:
When will they go back to their dens?
It seems like copperheads usually disappear between November and March. They seem to be especially active in April/May and September/October, which I assume to be the mating/birthing seasons.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 AM

95 posts, read 131,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
What time of day was this?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM

222 posts, read 403,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
It seems like copperheads usually disappear between November and March. They seem to be especially active in April/May and September/October, which I assume to be the mating/birthing seasons.
I think they mate in June/July... takes 3 months before they give live birth. So that lines up perfectly for the explanation of activity in September/October...

I saw a bunch in June/July (a mating pair near the house in the first week of July). I killed one, so hopefully the female. Hopefully I'm not dealing with killing babies come Setp/Oct.

I'm waiting until December to rid our property of wood piles.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 173,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
What time of day was this?
Oops, deleted my first comment somehow. It was about mid-morning.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM

About 8pm

Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Why are we seeing so many this year? I've lived in this house for 15 years and never saw a snake ( except for a pet boa that got away one time). And there were no other reports from neighbors. Is there something special about conditions this year? Cooler, wetter? Is this the Year of the Snake on the Chinese calendar? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary