Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I want to go camping together. She is 14 and we always have fun together, but obviously I'd like to take her to a place where she'll have a good time, and stuff to do.

If she really enjoys it, we'll invest in going to the mountains (I camp there all the time) on future trips, but this time, I'd like to stay closer to home for many reasons.

IMO, going to Jordan Lake might be boring for her. Too close to home and nothing "unique" to do. What are some other places you all like?

I've considered:
Maybe Eno State Park, just to get a little further away
Eastern NC, like New Bern, if the weather is good
Near a city (Gbo, Charlotte, etc) if there is a cool festival to attend
etc.

I am very active outdoors, but she is 14 and likes a short (3-mile) hike, or a bike ride on a FLAT campground trail or non-traffic road.

Just looking for ideas that I may not have thought of. 30-90 minute drive is ideal, but I'd go further if it is justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
For car camping, check out Pilot Mountain SP or Hanging Rock SP. Some nice hiking in a mountain-like environment but just a couple hours away.

For backpacking and just a few mile hike, Eno River SP could work but it might be a bit tame. Uwharrie is great and just a couple hours away. There are good campsites along a creek just a few miles in on the Dutchman's Creek Trail (same trailhead as the southern TH for the Uwharrie Trail). Another option is a few miles of hiking from the northern end of the Uwharrie Trail to a nice creekside site. This is a great place to introduce kids to backpacking, but a in a few more weeks the mosquitoes are going to be awful.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
For car camping, check out Pilot Mountain SP or Hanging Rock SP. Some nice hiking in a mountain-like environment but just a couple hours away.

For backpacking and just a few mile hike, Eno River SP could work but it might be a bit tame. Uwharrie is great and just a couple hours away. There are good campsites along a creek just a few miles in on the Dutchman's Creek Trail (same trailhead as the southern TH for the Uwharrie Trail). Another option is a few miles of hiking from the northern end of the Uwharrie Trail to a nice creekside site. This is a great place to introduce kids to backpacking, but a in a few more weeks the mosquitoes are going to be awful.
Thanks, they wouldn't let me rep you again.

This is definitely car camping. (Don't have equipment for backpacking, and she is not ready for that yet anyway.)

Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I was just at Cedarock park just south of Burlington for the state finals of the NC Envirothon. I had never been there before, but it was a very nice park w/ plenty of campsites. It's not got a lot of other things going on besides the outdoors (there's a nice creek, old mill dam & waterfall) and a historic farm, but it was a sweet spot to try out camping for the sake of camping.

I think Hanging Rock could be another good suggestion or the Uwharries (combine with a trip to the Zoo).

Raven Rock State Park is on the Cape Fear River near Lillington. Been years since I've been there, but it's close by and offers campsites, too.

Here's a list of music festivals coming up. LEAF is the big one!
Carolina Music Festivals

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
It's a little further away but we just came back from Carolina beach state park last weekend and we LOVED it there! The venus fly traps and pitcher plants are out and they have a free, ranger led, carnivorous plant hike Saturdays and Sundays with the added benefit of Carolina Beach and all of it's attractions that are popular for teens across the street. And all of the hikes are easy and flat!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 PM

I get tired of saying this (but it seems the same people are always helpful), I couldn't rep you Lamishra.

Carolina beach is sounding VERY compelling. I like that it is close proximity to a lot of stuff, and the drive is under 2.5 hours from my house, so definitely within range.

Thanks, and keep the great suggestions coming (what I don't get to this time will only go on the ever-growing "to do" list.) :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
We love Hanging Rock SP! It's closer than you think.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM

41 posts, read 45,418 times
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Raven Rock State Park

raven rock, i think near lillington has some interesting features. its been a while

Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
While the time frame for this request has passed, I'll still second the vote for Raven's Rock. It's really not that far away, beautiful and I've never seen it crowded.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up going to Carolina Beach State Park and were very glad we did. Enjoyed some beach, some camping, some food, and a pretty easy ride. As a bonus, I got to visit the WWII bunker at Fort Fisher, which was the home of the Fort Fisher Hermit for about 20+ years. This was something that has always compelled me, so it was really cool to see.

I'll be back.

I've been to Raven Rock a bunch of times, but never camped there. Might try that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary