Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

282 posts, read 820,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
We all know that the cost of homes and property taxes are ridiculously low in NC compared with NY and NJ. But how are you finding the "peripheral" costs in the Raleigh/Cary/Chapel Hill area compared to NY and NJ, like groceries, utilities, gas, car insurance, etc.? I visited a few weeks ago and found the gas was only slightly cheaper than NY, but more expensive than NJ. And the cost of food in restaurants didn't seem any less. I have to believe the heating and electric bills would be less down there, as would car insurance generally. Any other goods and services I haven't mentioned that are significantly cheaper (or more expensive) than in New York or New Jersey? Thanks.
I seem to be in the minority, but my car insurance went up when I switched to NC. I was insured in Hamburg, NY prior to the move.

I find that besides home prices and property taxes most other expenses are the same. Some food items have increased in price, while others fell. For instance beef is more expensive, but pork is more affordable, and chicken has remained consistent. Now that many grocery stores offer curb-side pickup you can view the prices online and get a real cost difference for the items your purchase. Maybe track the past few receipts.

Chain restaurants have consistent pricing, some of the local joints have excellent food for a steal, you just have to find them.

In terms of gasoline it seems as though Raleigh/Cary is a high for the state. Electric prices did drop, but I went from no A/C to running central air all summer so it ends up being a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM

204 posts, read 263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I actually find the "mid-range" "date worthy" restaurants to be cheaper here than in CT. As to groceries, depends where you get them! I get my produce from the Farmer's Market and it is significantly cheaper than what I paid for my non-Farmer's Market produce.

"Services" are cheaper here. Cost of labor when fixing cars, when getting a general contractor for your home, etc are cheaper by 20-30% per hour.

By the way, real estate for COMPARABLE neighborhoods and schooling system is at least 50% less in the Triangle compared to CT and NJ. I have a friend that is considering a move from a part of CT and he discusses how his city is not much more expensive than Cary. I don't have the heart to tell him that his city cannot be compared to Cary (PS - I do not live in Cary).

Do you have a kid going to public College? Well, the value of a UNC education exceeds the value of an education at Rutgers/UConn/SUNY. Before you bash UNC, I should add that I attended a public University in the states of NY and Connecticut.
I would not necessarily elevate UNC or Rutgers over each other. It all depends which departments you study in. Both are great public colleges.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 AM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
I would not necessarily elevate UNC or Rutgers over each other. It all depends which departments you study in. Both are great public colleges.
Both are great schools no doubt and we can go on a discussion on how it is the student that makes the college not the other way around. However, for most degrees a UNC on your diploma holds a lot more value. Business, Sciences and Liberal arts.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Do you have a kid going to public College? Well, the value of a UNC education exceeds the value of an education at Rutgers/UConn/SUNY. Before you bash UNC, I should add that I attended a public University in the states of NY and Connecticut.
The only problem I have with that line of thinking is, while I agree that UNC-Chapel Hill has a great reputation, UNC is pretty difficult to get into. So moving here and hoping to get affordable college tuition with a great college name might be a pipe dream. The other state universities in NC don't hold the same weight as UNC-Chapel Hill, particularly outside this region. Outside NC and more into the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, SUNYs, Rutgers, and UConn would be more well-known than most of the other NC state schools.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Both are great schools no doubt and we can go on a discussion on how it is the student that makes the college not the other way around. However, for most degrees a UNC on your diploma holds a lot more value. Business, Sciences and Liberal arts.
Maybe in NC, but does it really carry any more weight in the Northeast?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Is the North-East the only place the OP intends to send his kids to? And to answer your question, UNC enjoys much more of a value EVERYWHERE including the North-East. Want to go Med school? Check. Want to get into Banking? Check. Want to get into Public Policy? Check.

Don't mean to digress from OP's questions/concerns.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM

127 posts, read 216,068 times
I moved last year from Westchester NY and have found the following:
  • NY property taxes in Westchester on a 2850 sq. ft. 12 year old home with .19 property size: $21,000 per year. NC: brand new 3,800 sq. foot home on .23 property $4,200.
  • Larger, brand new house in NC: 50% less
  • Con Ed bill in NY on monthly budget: $500. NC: around $120/month - higher two months in winter. Some months my gas bill is $17.
  • Water in NY: $160 per quarter; NC: water and refuse approx. $75month
  • Auto/Homeowner/Umbrella Insurance: 3 cars, house, $1m umbrella (top coverage): NY $7,000; NC: $3,600.
  • Yes, you pay tax on autos. 3 cars this year was $700.
  • Food: if you shop at Harris Teeter it will definitely be more expensive. I shop at Food Lion for basics and prices are comparable to Stop & Shop. Meat is definitely much higher but I buy in bulk at Costco or BJs.
  • Restaurants: same but way more options if you want to eat on the cheap
  • Clothing: same
  • Gas: hands down cheaper in NC
  • Salon services varies 40-50% less
  • Cable/Cell phone: same
  • Services can be a little more (i.e., cleaning, etc.)
  • Education: Just the facilities at state schools in NC blow away SUNY facilities. Education IMO better.
  • Quality of Life, People, Environment, etc., etc.: wish I moved sooner. I love my new home state.
Come not for the cost savings but because you want a better environment. Don't expect it to be NY South. If you do, you are missing the whole point.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
We all know that the cost of homes and property taxes are ridiculously low in NC compared with NY and NJ. But how are you finding the "peripheral" costs in the Raleigh/Cary/Chapel Hill area compared to NY and NJ, like groceries, utilities, gas, car insurance, etc.? I visited a few weeks ago and found the gas was only slightly cheaper than NY, but more expensive than NJ. And the cost of food in restaurants didn't seem any less. I have to believe the heating and electric bills would be less down there, as would car insurance generally. Any other goods and services I haven't mentioned that are significantly cheaper (or more expensive) than in New York or New Jersey? Thanks.
I moved here one year ago from LI so I will offer my experience - it may be different for others.

Yes the salary was lower but the commute time is no longer 4 hours per day with $15 in tolls. Gas is cheaper and the wear and tear on the car is less. Car insurance for us I believe was a wash. Utilities are less. If you come from LI where many of the homes use home heating oil a single bill for heating oil can be over $600 - it is crazy! Groceries, as others have said, some items are more, some are less. I think that is a wash. Restaurants are about the same. Water/Sewer are significantly higher in cost. Do not water you lawn like people on LI love to do or you will be broke!

I will say the overall quality of life is so much better. I will never commute into Manhattan again and spend 3 hours (on a good day) getting to and from work. I am not the target of road rage every weekend. People are nicer. For example, I was getting my youngest out of the shopping cart at target and he was having a tantrum. A woman walking by asked if she could put my cart away for me! That would NEVER happen on LI. In fact, I have been nearly run over in stores on LI while walking with my 2 year old because we were not moving fast enough.

Things are newer and cleaner. Parks are my best example. It is hard to find a well maintained park on LI with a playground that is not in shambles. Here, I can't name a bad one. I think as Twingles mentioned it is not all about money some of it is intangibles. The access to local food here is amazing. Farmers markets on LI are not common and are insanely expensive. They are everywhere here. Good luck with your decision, I hope this was helpful.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
If your only goal is "cheaper than NY/NJ", I think you pretty much have the whole country at your disposal. Certainly, there are a lot of states, such as SC, with lower costs of living than NC, if that is your ONLY reason for considering NC.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
This only matters if someone ever wants to live there.

Seriously, though. I have a few successful ad exec friends with Communication and Marketing degrees from NC colleges (including UNC) who are doing very well in NYC.

That they have great CVs and portfolios likely means more than whether they have the name of a local university buried in the recesses of their CV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary