Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times

Advertisements

Carolina should lose this team. I went to the home opener 2 years ago against the stanley cup champion bruins and the building was 2/3s full. I think Local fans would support the team if they were cup contenders....otherwise its just a hand full of hockey diehards. I hope they stay, I enjoyed watching Bruin games in the Civic Center, and I enjoy seeing them in whatever bank center they are in now, but I doubt I'll make it to many game when they are in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Carolina should lose this team. I went to the home opener 2 years ago against the stanley cup champion bruins and the building was 2/3s full. I think Local fans would support the team if they were cup contenders....otherwise its just a hand full of hockey diehards. I hope they stay, I enjoyed watching Bruin games in the Civic Center, and I enjoy seeing them in whatever bank center they are in now, but I doubt I'll make it to many game when they are in Quebec.

They've lost money for 7 straight years

Forbes: Carolina Hurricanes grow more valuable, but lose money for 7th straight season - Triangle Business Journal

I looked at getting a partial package for lower level tickets. I was pretty shocked to learn that parking passes would not be included for tickets that would have been several grand each. To have people paying 4k for a partial season and then require them to fork out 10$ or whatever per game is obscene.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:41 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
They've lost money for 7 straight years

Forbes: Carolina Hurricanes grow more valuable, but lose money for 7th straight season - Triangle Business Journal

I looked at getting a partial package for lower level tickets. I was pretty shocked to learn that parking passes would not be included for tickets that would have been several grand each. To have people paying 4k for a partial season and then require them to fork out 10$ or whatever per game is obscene.
They are going to have to go to the playoffs to be profitable.
And not by the skin of their teeth, not squeak in because some other team crumbled for the last week of regular season.
They are going to have to be playoff worthy for a season.
It is disheartening to pay serious money for a game and see them come out flat, stay flat, and finish flat.

Similar to the chicken and the egg scenario:
Which comes first?
Profits or a quality product?

They can hire and fire coaches forever. It is going to take some leadership on the ice, and a captain who leads, pushes, and prods as needed.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:49 PM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
then require them to fork out 10$ or whatever per game is obscene.
There was an article recently that said they raised it to $15, and for some concerts it would be $20. Last time we parked across the street and walked.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hurricanes Relieve Muller of Coaching Duties - Carolina Hurricanes - News

What's Maurice doing?
Laviolette was looking for work.
As of today, Laviolette is no longer looking for work.
Peter Laviolette hired as Nashville Predators' head coach - ESPN

Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Parking is now $15 at the PNC Arena. I have no need to be a season ticket holder any longer. I can go to whichever games I want, as few or as many as I want, and buy tickets for about half of face value the day before or day of the games. Why waste all of that money to have to right to one seat all year? For me, it's simply not worth it. There's no incentive to be a season ticket holder except for the right to that one particular seat every night. It's MUCH cheaper to just buy singles.

And like was said before, unless they make the playoffs, they lose money every year. They'll keep rotating in new staff until #12's contract is up or until they can get a decent return on him on the trade market. But your Captain has to be your leader in many ways, on and off the ice.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I agree that season tickets are pointless there. It's so easy to get whatever tickets you want for a game. I feel like NC generally just doesn't care about professional sports. I haven't been to a Panthers game but I know it's so easy to get bobcat/hornets tickets as well. It's not just the fact that the teams lose, because many other cities have losing teams. I think it's just that people here are more interested in college sports and the college teams are pretty good, so that's where the sports entertainment dollars are spent.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Average attendance last season of 82.9% of capacity.
Carolina Hurricanes 2013-2014 Attendance | Hockey Attendance

They are not going to get 100%, but 82.9% is a tough way to make a buck.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
People here cared, and bought more tickets when the Canes have had good seasons. But it's hard to sell tickets to lame duck games, near the end of the season, when college basketball is about to start, and your Canes have already been eliminated from any playoff hope. It's no shocking news that the Canes struggled to sell tickets this year. They gave away a LOT of freebies and sold a lot of cheap ones through outlets like stubhub. You get this team back to winning, and playing exciting hockey, and people will once again flock to the games. But don't expect people to keep paying premium prices for 41 games a year, of a mediocre team, year after losing year. Build a competitive winner, and the tickets will sell themselves. But what we've got right now is the few who are willing to buy tickets, are picking up the slack with higher costs, for those who said "the heck with it, I'd rather not go or just watch from home for free".

The Hurricanes need to better organize their ticket management. You can't expect people to pay full price for season tickets, and then have someone new sit beside them every night, with tickets they got through some promotion that ended up costing $20 less than the season ticket holder paid! This is kicking ticket buyers in the gut!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The NHL leaving Carolina is a pipe dream. The League realized it made a mistake when they relocated Atlanta to Winnipeg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary