Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times

Advertisements

Well, Wilmington maps out two hours away from Raleigh, so it's doable to go there for gigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 18,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
NO, you want Wilmington, NC. It is the Music and Art's capital of NC.
I'd never even considered Wilmington - and the idea of living near the ocean has always appealed to me. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM

I've been searching the forums for more info with what I've gleaned from this thread so far..... now I've got a few more contenders:

Charlotte
Wilmington
Asheville
and maybe even Columbia, SC

Any thoughts on how these would measure up?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
None of the places you are looking will have an arts scene for both music and video that is comparable to the one in Austin.

And, these same areas are growing quickly (especially the Triangle and Charlotte) and are not likely to be places with acreage for cheap that's within 15 minutes of the areas where any sort of scene is going to be happening.

Asheville doesn't have much in the way of jobs, period.

Wilmington does have the film industry going for it, but lacks the music scene you could find in the Triangle.

This would be a tough call, unless you can work freelance or remote for your video/editing gigs and go for the music scene nearby. In which case, the Triangle is your best bet, but you may need to look at little farther out than 15 minutes from the clubs.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
None of the places you are looking will have an arts scene for both music and video that is comparable to the one in Austin.

Wilmington does have the film industry going for it, but lacks the music scene you could find in the Triangle.

This would be a tough call, unless you can work freelance or remote for your video/editing gigs and go for the music scene nearby. In which case, the Triangle is your best bet, but you may need to look at little farther out than 15 minutes from the clubs.
You know, if I could find a town with a good film/video/theater scene I'd happily do without the music... sounds like Wilmington may fit the bill?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterl View Post
You know, if I could find a town with a good film/video/theater scene I'd happily do without the music... sounds like Wilmington may fit the bill?
Film and video, maybe.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
There is some location film work in Asheville (Hunger Games, etc), but I don't think they have the studios up there like they do in Wilmington.

Here's some more info on the film industry in NC:
www.ncfilm.com

And film in the Triangle:
Film Resources, Festivals and Series « Triangle ArtWorks
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/is-...nt?oid=3657704

Charlotte's music scene in general is not as good as the Triangle's, but might be decent for your genre. Wilmington just flat out does not have as a good of a music scene as the Triangle. Asheville has a very nice music scene, don't know about video/editing jobs, but it is a tourism based economy. Don't know about Columbia, but Charleston, SC, has more of an artsy rep. I think Columbia might be almost as hot as Austin.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,204 times
I know of several musicians that moved to this area and have been thriving. For instance, The Mountain Goats (John Darnielle), the Cook brothers in Megafaun, and Hiss Golden Messenger (MC Taylor) all come immediately to mind. It may worth trying to get their input (I know a lot of them are active on twitter).

Rural areas near the towns of Pittsboro and Hillsborough seem to be popular with some of the music crowd (those that don't live in the city).

That said, all of the musicians I know are somewhere under the Rock umbrella, not swing jazz. I have no idea what the area offers for that genre.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
What kind of film/video scene? Are you talking about major Hollywood productions? If so, Wilmington is as good as we've got. Corporate video? You'd probably be better off in the Triangle or Charlotte. Indy art films? Probably the Triangle, maybe Asheville.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What kind of film/video scene? Are you talking about major Hollywood productions? If so, Wilmington is as good as we've got. Corporate video? You'd probably be better off in the Triangle or Charlotte. Indy art films? Probably the Triangle, maybe Asheville.
Well, I make my living as a freelance video editor doing mostly corporate stuff and I make an independent film (very low-budget, indie, etc.) every couple of years, so Hollywood productions aren't at all what I'm looking for...

Ideally somewhere that I can make a living doing freelance video and motion graphics work - I just want to be sure that every couple of years when I set out to make a movie or put on a theater production at a local playhouse, I wont have a problem finding enough cast and crew to make it happen....

Austin doesn't have a ton of Hollywood stuff going on, but when I put out a casting or crew call here, I'm inundated with replies within hours. I don't necessarily need it to be quite at that level, just enough so that I can still make it happen - and that may a reasonable expectation in any of the towns we've been discussing, I just don't know as my only experience has been here in Austin.

Continued thanks for all the great feedback - this is really amazingly helpful for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary