Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times

Advertisements

I think the Triangle is probably pretty good for independent film. I only know about the commercial film and TV production in Wilmington. There may be indie film stuff there, too, but I just don't know about it.

There's a lot of medical and biomedical firms here. I know a few folks who do video work with them.

There is a pretty decent theater scene here I think. Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh all have local independent theater companies, plus bigger ones, like Playmakers in Chapel Hill.

If Francois sees this thread I think he said before that's he's involved in local theater IIRC. He might have some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the Triangle is probably pretty good for independent film. I only know about the commercial film and TV production in Wilmington. There may be indie film stuff there, too, but I just don't know about it.

There's a lot of medical and biomedical firms here. I know a few folks who do video work with them.

There is a pretty decent theater scene here I think. Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh all have local independent theater companies, plus bigger ones, like Playmakers in Chapel Hill.

If Francois sees this thread I think he said before that's he's involved in local theater IIRC. He might have some insight.
Local theater is big around here. Indy film is decent. Good music scene.

The housing part is debatable, but this area might work for the OP.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 PM

204 posts, read 263,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Any particular reason you're leaving Austin? Sounds like you're a great fit for right where you are. I think you'll find Raleigh underwhelming based on your interests.
Yah I agree.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 PM

204 posts, read 263,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

My son is looking to break into that film and art scene as well. There isn't much of it here in comparison to the Austin, LA, NYC, or even Miami especially for film. Everybody they've spoken with for the most part has pointed him away from here so he has decisions to make. Some tout Wilmington for film but really not much is happening there for that.

You can maybe call like a Living Arts College in Raleigh and see if they have anyone that is willing to discuss or give you more info on that.

Living Arts College @ School of Communication Arts | Photography, Video Production, Filmmaking, Computer Animation, and Media Arts School

For music it depends what genre(s) you like. You did say jazz and there isn't a large scene for that either though some is there in Durham and Chapel Hill more than Raleigh. Again this is still a growing area and perhaps the future may attract more but we'll see.

PM me and I'll point you to a very close and dear friend here who's been in the music scene globally for 40 yrs who's a writer, producer, drummer, Grammy winner, touring pro. He has lots of connections from east to west coast.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,809 times
As Poppydog mentioned, Triangle ArtWorks serves the arts business community in the Triangle area, which includes film and theater. You can follow them on twitter or FB to hear about job openings, news, etc.

Re: music, there is a very vibrant scene in the Triangle, with the most music venues in the State, and events like Hopscotch and the IBMA, as well as companies like Merge Records, Reverbnation, etc being here.

We have a huge theater scene from the Nederlander shows at DPAC to small theaters presenting everything from edgy to British to, well, you name it. Keep up with them here and here. In fact the theater community has grown so much in recent years that Triangle ArtWorks is in the middle of convening the local theaters to work on how the local theaters can work more cooperatively on issues affecting all the theaters.

Regarding film, know that Trailblazer Studios is the biggest in the area and does tons of national work. You should know about the Trifilm group too.

Wilmington also has a good theater scene, but much smaller. The benefit of the Triangle is the breadth in all arts genres provided by the diversity of the Triangle region. There is a reason that Richard Florida considers us one of the top 10 creative regions of the country. Are we Austin or New York, no. Are we an amazing creative community? Absolutely.

And one last thing, to whoever said the Avett Brothers are from here. I have to challenge that….they are from Concord…quite a ways from the Triangle!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,809 times
As Poppydog mentioned, Triangle ArtWorks serves the arts business community in the Triangle area, which includes film and theater. You can follow them on twitter or FB to hear about job openings, news, etc.

Re: music, there is a very vibrant scene in the Triangle, with the most music venues in the State, and events like Hopscotch and the IBMA, as well as companies like Merge Records, Reverbnation, etc being here.

We have a huge theater scene from the Nederlander shows at DPAC to small theaters presenting everything from edgy to British to, well, you name it. Keep up with them here and here. In fact the theater community has grown so much in recent years that Triangle ArtWorks is in the middle of convening the local theaters to work on how the local theaters can work more cooperatively on issues affecting all the theaters.

Regarding film, know that Trailblazer Studios is the biggest in the area and does tons of national work. You should know about the Trifilm group too.

Wilmington also has a good theater scene, but much smaller. The benefit of the Triangle is the breadth in all arts genres provided by the diversity of the Triangle region. There is a reason that Richard Florida considers us one of the top 10 creative regions of the country. Are we Austin or New York, no. Are we an amazing creative community? Absolutely.

And one last thing, to whoever said the Avett Brothers are from here. I have to challenge that….they are from Concord…quite a ways from the Triangle!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Ahhh...you're right. I was thinking of their record on Ramseur Records. Ramseur is about 40 minutes west of Carrboro/Chapel Hill which is what I was thinking of when I said "just outside the Triangle", but their home is Concord. I stand corrected.

Anyway, while NC does have a pretty good music scene, it's in no way comparable to Austin. It might be on par with Dallas or Houston.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 18,219 times
Thanks for all of these links and resources, everyone - I really appreciate it. Very, very helpful.

I'm definitely aware that the area is 'not Austin' but that doesn't deter me one bit... a slightly 'smaller pond' might actually be a good thing. It sounds like you guys have a really great, thriving creative community there and possibly one that is, in some ways, more diverse than what we have here in Austin.

I've definitely seen enough to confirm for me that it might be a good fit. The next step? Travel down there for about a week and see it in person. I'm planning on going in either July or August (so I can experience the 'worst of the worst' as far as heat/humidity goes) to check out the cities and the rural property in area.

Now to figure out where to go & what to see when I get there!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,792 times
As for the weather it will be better here. Yes we get hot but it doesn't last nearly as long and the humidity is not as bad.
I too thought the weather in Texas was not that different until I spent some time in east Texas it is still hot there in November and the heat and humidity can begin as early as April.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM

17 posts, read 18,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
As for the weather it will be better here. Yes we get hot but it doesn't last nearly as long and the humidity is not as bad.
I too thought the weather in Texas was not that different until I spent some time in east Texas it is still hot there in November and the heat and humidity can begin as early as April.
Yeah, I spent some time comparing average highs and lows as well as humidity there vs Austin - from what I could determine, though you guys still get hot and humid, it's not as hot, not as humid and doesn't last for nearly as long. I'd prefer even less heat and humidity, but seeing as how I can't afford Southern California and I'm already more or less used to Austin, I'll take it.

The idea of actually having all four seasons sounds pretty amazing, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary