Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,828 times

Advertisements

Good morning! I thought I would ask here where I can find statistics in Wake County for drug use and overdose. I have found some information, but not specifically what I was looking for. I have gotten some great information from people there that have reached out to me and shared where the dealers are in Wake Forest and some issues with the high schools. This is important to us on many levels. I currently live in a community known for its drug epidemic here. My family personally knows 9 dead kids from drugs. Personally. That's a lot of heartache and trauma, it has been a very difficult few years. The problem lies in the broad acceptance of use here and in the public high schools the fact that NOTHING is done when kids are clearly under the influence and selling and dealing in the school. This is a serious problem here on Staten Island. I am going to attach a link if you are interested in reading about my area (if not just ignore the link ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/nyregion/heroins-new-hometown-in-staten-island.html

In Staten Island, 1 in 3 people use and every 5 days someone dies of an overdose. It is that kind of statistic I am looking for.

No flames please. I know it is there, I am just looking for information.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This may help: DURHAM: Heroin use, and deaths, on the rise in North Carolina | Crime | NewsObserver.com

'You're playing with a loaded gun:' NC heroin use on the rise :: WRAL.com

It seriously is the drug that is an issue nationwide.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 AM

613 posts, read 746,338 times
Two articles neither mention why Heroin is so plentiful and cheap. The answer? Afghanistan.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I dunno where you can find that info, but Wake Forest surely will be a surprise to you compared to Staten Island.

As in, if you live in a nice neighborhood, there may be drugs around...but you'd never know it.

The Triangle in general will not be a place where you'll actually see much in the way of drugs.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
I'd look for arrest or conviction data. Crime stats involving drugs may be the easiest to compare.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'd look for arrest or conviction data. Crime stats involving drugs may be the easiest to compare.
I do this, excellent suggestion!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Thank you!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
What is the exact information you are looking for? Are you trying to use that info to choose a place to live?
Conviction records won't help if you want to the drug overdose rate of high school school students, or you want to know the prevalence of drug use among WCPSS high school students. Much of this info may not be available to public and if a student is a minor, may not be included in other types of records.
I don't think there is a quick google search you can do to get an accurate picture of what drug use and drug overdose deaths or drug related deaths looks like across the county as a whole. You'd be better off talking to school resource offiers.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
What is the exact information you are looking for? Are you trying to use that info to choose a place to live?
Conviction records won't help if you want to the drug overdose rate of high school school students, or you want to know the prevalence of drug use among WCPSS high school students. Much of this info may not be available to public and if a student is a minor, may not be included in other types of records.
I don't think there is a quick google search you can do to get an accurate picture of what drug use and drug overdose deaths or drug related deaths looks like across the county as a whole. You'd be better off talking to school resource offiers.

Thank you. My husband has started to do that. Our concerns are different than others. We want to be part of a community that looks out for one another (not neighbors/parents that supply drugs to minors on either side of my house) and accountability in schools. I have gotten 2 PM already with some great resources for my search. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I dunno where you can find that info, but Wake Forest surely will be a surprise to you compared to Staten Island.

As in, if you live in a nice neighborhood, there may be drugs around...but you'd never know it.

The Triangle in general will not be a place where you'll actually see much in the way of drugs.

That can be scary too to not know what is around....however, if one is part of a community that may make all the difference in the world. I grew up that way in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary