Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Lewis BBQ now has a new name (something like BBQ Joint/Place). Haven't been there since the new name (new owners?), but did like the other place ok. Typical NC BBQ IMHO.
Yeah, I actually only called it "Lewis" based on the other post. It seemed like it had to be the same one. I have no idea what the real name of it is, it just has generic signs that say something like "Pit BBQ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM

189 posts, read 753,751 times
Yes, there is decent BBQ around Southpoint!

I just came from down home, hole in the wall, bar-b-que heaven! The Backyard BBQ Pit, located at 5122 NC Hwy 55 (about a mile from the 55/54 interchange and next to the ABC liquor store), is a family owned small business. Their self identified style (from their web page) is "...away from the traditional commercial style of cooking and have taken back to the old way of doing things. Just like in Grandma's kitchen." In fact, my take on the Backyard BBQ Pit is that eating there is like going to someone's home, who really, really knows how to bar-b-que. The sides I selected, greens and fried cabbage (give it at try it's AWESOME), were mouth watering. I will be back as soon as possible, with my husband in tow. He's been wanting to find a place that serves beef ribs for a while, which many bar-b-que places do not. The Backyard Barbque Pit does. If you plan to give it a try, be aware that the Backyard Barbque Pit is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Coincidentally, we went to the Q Shack earlier this week. Its self identified style is Texas bar-b-que, in case the armadillo by the ordering station doesn't give it away. In a nod to NC style bar-b-que, a hybrid vinegar sauce containing a touch of tomato base is available on tables. It also is great! It's casual, but has a more commercial feel than the Backyard BBQ Pit.

There is no comparing the two...apples an oranges, depending on what you like. I plan to return to both many times.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM

140 posts, read 1,654,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
.....The Backyard BBQ Pit, located at 5122 NC Hwy 55 (about a mile from the 55/54 interchange and next to the ABC liquor store), is a family owned small business. .....
Been there. Liked the atmosphere, but didn't care for the BBQ since it is the typical peppery briny Eastern NC style.

But hey, it seems I'm in the minority around here.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Perhaps they offer different styles? I had beef ribs and chicken, having a non-vinegar sauce. I observed a good supply of pulled pork with a vinegar sauce available, which I also like. Loved the sides!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 440,943 times
Hi all,

FYI -- Backyard BBQ is the new name for Lewis BBQ.

And it is my favorite!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM

140 posts, read 1,654,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
Perhaps they offer different styles? I had beef ribs and chicken, having a non-vinegar sauce. I observed a good supply of pulled pork with a vinegar sauce available, which I also like. Loved the sides!
I doubt they offer different styles. The pork was very Eastern, even without me adding any sauce at all.

However, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what they are doing. It is just a matter of taste. If I started a Lexington/Western BBQ Restaurant, I wouldn't want you Eastern-lovers bashing me either. ;-)

I just wanted to make note so that Western-lovers are not shocked at how different the bbq is.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhammom View Post
Hi all,

FYI -- Backyard BBQ is the new name for Lewis BBQ.

And it is my favorite!
Looks like they arent open weekends though - I've been by there a couple times around Noon-ish and no dice on a Saturday.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Oh dear. What I meant was that perhaps the differing meats offer some variety? Yes, the pork appeared to be in a vinegar-based Eastern style. Other meats, such as I sampled today, had a thicker, sweeter sauce on them. There was also a selection of sauces in a condiment area for doctoring up one's meal.

To each his own. I don't have a dog in the regional que fight...I like all styles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
I doubt they offer different styles. The pork was very Eastern, even without me adding any sauce at all.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 PM

That's correct. They're closed on Saturdays and Sundays. However, maybe they're a good stop for an after work dine in or to go dinner? They have family meal combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Looks like they arent open weekends though - I've been by there a couple times around Noon-ish and no dice on a Saturday.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
Been there. Liked the atmosphere, but didn't care for the BBQ since it is the typical peppery briny Eastern NC style.

But hey, it seems I'm in the minority around here.
We'll see how I like the BBQ once I relocate. I can't stand the smell of vinegar...won't go there about the taste. My husband swears that I'll like it. He's originally from SE Virginia and has spent a LOT of time in NC, so he's used to the eastern style BBQ. I'm used to the western style, sugar based BBQ. But at least you gave me a place or 2 to look for! My taste buds thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary