Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

204 posts, read 263,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Hi SC,

I'm not Italian but grew up in Northern NJ, so I get you.

I feel like you'd be pretty well received, but you may miss the presence that the Sicilian-American community has up north. It's something I notice myself as most people around me were at least part Sicilian. Still, it's worth checking out. One thing you might want to do is call over to Capri Flavors - they are an importer and are located in Cary - they're from Naples but you could probably speak to the sons and get a really good feel for the area.

It's important to note that Capri Flavors is currently the only Italian grocery in the area - we've spoken here before about it - that may be meaningful in that I'm guessing you're used to being around a lot of Italian markets that are such a part of the culture in general. Here's the link to Capri:

About Us : Capri Flavors, :: Fine Italian Food

Cary might be a good place for you to look because there are a lot of transplants from the NE.
Actually in Morrisville but I'm going to have to check them out. I wasn't aware of them. Based on the prices on the website they are expensive but then again when you're the only one in town I guess you can charge those prices. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I grew up around heavily Italian neighborhoods and I can tell you that I haven't found very many good Italian Delis, however, on a recent trip to Wilmington beach, I found not one but two Italian delis. Both, the owners were immigrants from Italy and the food was amazing. I know this is on an unrelated note, but, I feel the need to pitch in.
Good to know. Would you happen to remember the names?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Have you checked into meetup.com for the area and see if there are any Italian/American or Sicilian/American groups? If not, maybe you could create one and gauge the interest?

I, for one, would welcome an ItalyFest in the area. Who knows?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Actually in Morrisville but I'm going to have to check them out. I wasn't aware of them. Based on the prices on the website they are expensive but then again when you're the only one in town I guess you can charge those prices. ;-)
I go there frequently. My place for locatelli/romano cheese. Their prices are actually fair for the mainstream items. It's a small place but definitely worth a drop in if you're ever nearby.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Good to know. Would you happen to remember the names?
Martino's - it is amazing - word on the street is it's affiliated with A&S Pork Store.
Also Taste of Italy - owners are from Long Island (Wilmington has a lot of former Long Islanders).

Whoops! I forgot - there's another fairly new one downtown - Cousins Italian Deli. I haven't been there so can't rate it for you.

Here's a tour of Martino's - they make their own sausages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNWYYtYWK0

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Martino's - it is amazing - word on the street is it's affiliated with A&S Pork Store.
Apparently I've rep'd you too recently and can't give another, so please accept my virtual hug Looks like I'll be heading there the next time I'm in Wilmington! Added bonus: I know right where it is!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM

87 posts, read 135,590 times
Thank you, once again, to all of you.

I think that my fiance and I both acknowledge that we won't find the same sort of "northeast Italian-American culture" in the south, but our fear is simply in not being able to find an outlet of any kind. It sounds like the area is a blend of many cultures, and therefore I would imagine there are some Italians/Sicilians, much in the same way I am sure there are some Irish, Jewish, German, and Latino populations (to some extent). We embrace diversity in every way, we simply don't want to be left out in the cold from the warmth of our own culture which we love and embrace. Our reservations, quite frankly, are more for our children and future children. The best part of our childhoods was being immersed in our culture; attending festivals, special masses, embracing cultural celebrations, and embracing the camaraderie that came with it. At times, for us, it sometimes felt like our summers in Sicily were no different than our winters in America. I suppose, on some level, it is more about losing that experience for our children publicly, even if we provide it at home. But, that is neither here nor there, since that is something we would need to reconcile on our own, and can't really find answers to here in a forum.

We will certainly check out all of the recommendations, and we will continue our research devotedly. My fiance is well traveled, but he has almost always lived in very culturally rich areas (with the exception of his college years in Vermont). He has resided in Miami, Philadelphia, Boston and so on.......and has traveled to Panama, Belize, Mexico, the Caribbean, and multiple other culturally rich and ethnic enclaves for his work. So, this would be, on every level, a totally new experience for us. That does not mean it would be bad though. We have heard only good things about the area, it is just a matter of figuring out if it is for us or not. Thank you again - to all of you.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I, for one, would welcome an ItalyFest in the area. Who knows?
That makes two of us. I miss so much the Italian festivals because I can't get back up north as often as I'd like to.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I go there frequently. My place for locatelli/romano cheese. Their prices are actually fair for the mainstream items. It's a small place but definitely worth a drop in if you're ever nearby.
Great! Will do, thanks.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Also Taste of Italy - owners are from Long Island (Wilmington has a lot of former Long Islanders).

Whoops! I forgot - there's another fairly new one downtown - Cousins Italian Deli. I haven't been there so can't rate it for you.

Here's a tour of Martino's - they make their own sausages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNWYYtYWK0
Awesome i will look them up. A new place to go to next time we are there. ;-)

Long Islanders love their coastal scene so makes much sense to be in the Wilmington area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary