Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM

347 posts, read 521,726 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to the improvements planned for the section of 440 between Walnut Street and Wade Avenue.

NCDOT: I-440 Improvements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That section between Lake Boone and Cary is on the list to be worked on relatively soon, IIRC. I am not totally sure if it is impacted by the new formula, but I would imagine it would score well anyway.
That last section of four-lane between Wade and Walnut is due to be widened, but still going to be a little while. It's tricky because it cuts through residential with not much buffer. Believe the plan is to begin land acquisition in 2016 with construction starting in 2018.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I'm still amazed the reverse psychology worked on 540. Raise the speed limit to 70 and everyone slows down to 55-60.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I'm still amazed the reverse psychology worked on 540. Raise the speed limit to 70 and everyone slows down to 55-60.
It can't be worse than the 55-Bypass between Walmart and Target. (Holly Springs) Seems like everyone slows to a crawl through there. The u-turn stoplights don't help much. "ACK- a red light! I must stop even if it's not for me!"

Old 05-15-2014, 04:06 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
In general, yes I've noticed it as well, not only on the beltways (more so on I-540 than I-440) but on the interstates as well. I have an issue when people don't accelerate enough when approaching the highway on an entrance ramp, but otherwise what others do doesn't bother me.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM

204 posts, read 263,510 times
Road rage is already alive in this area for some time and likely will get worse. Unfortunately it's part of growing areas in this country and since many people have the hurry up I want it now attitude it lends to increasing stress. People just don't know how to relax anymore. Often times it's a matter of poor time management leaving the house and unrealistic traffic expectations that causes many to excessively speed.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
that easy 40 and 440 are much more space constrained. Less space cause people to drive slower. I am talking perceived space here.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Road rage is already alive in this area for some time and likely will get worse. Unfortunately it's part of growing areas in this country and since many people have the hurry up I want it now attitude it lends to increasing stress. People just don't know how to relax anymore. Often times it's a matter of poor time management leaving the house and unrealistic traffic expectations that causes many to excessively speed.
That

Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Often times it's a matter of poor time management leaving the house and unrealistic traffic expectations that causes many to excessively speed.

I disagree with this last statement. I think speeders do it habitually, not only if they are late. The ones I know, who do it, that's just how they drive. They stomp on the gas pedal and keep it down until they have to stop. They don't watch the speedometer nor the speed limit signs. It's just like the many people who refuse to stop at stop signs. They don't run it once a week, when they are late. They run those stop signs day after day. I see them do it in the same spots. The stop sign at Mt Vernon and Six Forks has to be the most ignored stop sign in the Triangle. It's rare that I EVER see a car stop there. And the bad thing is, you can't see if anyone is coming from your left, as you approach this stop sign, until you get to the very edge of Six Forks Rd. I've had people pull right out in front of me, so that I had to slam on the brakes, even only going 45mph, because they ran the stop sign without even a glance to their left. I'd love to know how many accidents happen in a one week span, at that location. I've also nearly been rear-ended if I go that route, and decide to stop at the stop sign. The cars behind you expect you to keep going, and when you actually do stop, they end up panicking and sliding to a stop behind you. It's so bad it's laughable. I don't know why they don't put two deputies there for an hour a day and write as many tickets as they can.

But on 540, I pass a LOT more cars while I'm going 73mph, than I ever have pass me who are going faster. I'd say well over half the cars are going 65 or less. It's not unusual to get into the right lane for my exit, and have to poke along at 50mph behind slow moving cars.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I recently changed employment and know have to make the hike out to Apex from North Raleigh and have made some observations about the traffic patterns here. Maybe I want the area to be bigger than it is. But. On my daily drive from North Raleigh on the beltline it seems people drive exceedingly slow. Much slower than on 540 even before the the speed limit was increased. ANd slower than other interstates in the area . At what point does a city get to a point where everyone drive fast just because it's the way it is. THe atlantas, DC's, etc. etc.

Also why oh why hasn't the city/state done anything to address the sector between lake boone trail and the New US1 upgraded area approaching Cary. It bottle necks there and has for years. Are there any plans to widen that area?

Also have noticed that 18 wheelers and such have no qualms about being in the fast lane on US1 It's like they don'te even think twice about getting over to the right hand lanes. They don't do this as much on the other roads it appears
I had to drop off a check and paperwork yesterday with all the crazy rain going on!

I was on 540, in the right lane, when the sky opened up and buckets and buckets of rain were falling. I was amazed at the drivers passing me!

I usually drive 70 to 73 (speed limit is 70) and am always amazed at drivers FLYING by me so I can't say that I have seen anyone going slow on 540!

So, when you see that little silver car in the right lane, that is ME! Pass on by! I got home safely yesterday. Hope you did too!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary